What is the worst food you eat?

Fermion

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We were at the store and my wife was rolling her eyes because I bought a bag of fried pork skins. It has to be horrible for you, but for some reason I crave them about once a year.

This is your time to confess. :)

Sometimes on the weekend when I'm too lazy to cook breakfast, I head to the donut shop and buy: half dozen sausage, cheese and jalapeño kolaches, one ginormous apple fritter, one cake donut with crumble coating, one cake donut with powdered sugar and one dozen donut holes. Yum! DW shakes her head, but then digs in too.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Hard to choose - potato chips, ice cream, red meat, white bread, peanuts, high fructose corn syrup, .... So many things; which is worst?

We were at the store and my wife was rolling her eyes because I bought a bag of fried pork skins. It has to be horrible for you, but for some reason I crave them about once a year.

I love pork rinds and buy them a lot more than once per year! They're actually not horrible for you, if you look at the nutritional information label, they're better for you than many snack foods - simple ingredients (pork skins and salt) and high in protein.

My guilty pleasure is a bag of Cheez Doodles, or some other form of cheese curls - now those ARE pretty horrible for you health-wise: loaded with artificial ingredients, etc, etc, so these I buy maybe once per year.

Hostess Zingers when I can find them. I've loved them since college. It may be just as well that for the most part they've been hard to find. I lived in NJ for 25 years and never found them there. Hostess is gone, of course, but another company bought the name and I sometimes find them in convenience stores on road trips,

Oreo cookies. Resistance is futile.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Rarely have them since retired, but probably the Cheetos that I couldn't resist from the vending machine in the break room. Now, it's probably red meat. Just had physical and doc warned me LDL's too high, so DW (whose were just slightly elevated) are considering modifying eating habits. Considering.:angel:

Normally I avoid everything everyone has listed so far on this thread, because I have a continuing problem with being overweight. But during the days just before and after my cataract surgery, I was scared to death and I indulged in "comfort foods" to try to deal with it.

You know those huge bags of restaurant Tostitos? and "Skinny Cow" ice cream sandwich thingies? (Skinny? yeah right. :2funny:) Honey and oats granola bars? I could go on. :blush:

Amazingly, I did not gain that much. Sheer terror must be hard work. :LOL: Oh, you know how I measure my fasting blood sugar once a week on Saturday morning, at my doctor's suggestion, now that I have Type 2? Well it went down to an all time low for me last Saturday despite all the carbs. I have no idea why, but it was back below 100 for the first time in ages. I won't go so far as to say that junk food is good for me, but.... :D

Last edited:
Hostess Zingers when I can find them. I've loved them since college. It may be just as well that for the most part they've been hard to find. I lived in NJ for 25 years and never found them there. Hostess is gone, of course, but another company bought the name and I sometimes find them in convenience stores on road trips,

+1. That was my favorite in college, right from that convenient vending machine. I don't think I've eaten one since. They're probably really bad for you, but they were oh so good.

Hard to choose - potato chips, ice cream, red meat, white bread, peanuts, high fructose corn syrup, .... So many things; which is worst?

Must confess, all of the above are on my favorites list. In fact, 4 of them in just the last 24 hours. Must get outside and do some vigorous yardwork today!

Ok, so far I am feeling really good that someone else eats pork rinds and I also found out W2R is related to Richard Simmons (come on, granola bars are your bad food?)

Been eating healthy for the last six months. Really anything I used to eat was horrible nutritionally, probably any ice cream as I would just inhale it.

My favorite non-sugar based unhealthy food, Go Chicken Go (local chain) chicken gizzards. They come in either a half or whole pound, get the big one. Best gizzards anywhere. A side of slaw and another of mashed potato and gravy with a large Mountain Dew!

Last edited:

I think pork skins are fine - high fat and calories but filling. It is the sugar that is bad for me and addictive as well. Put a bag of chocolate in front of me and it disappears. Chocolate (and added sugars from processed and low fat foods) on a regular basis and I gain a pound a year. Keep the sugar down and pile on the eggs, bacon, pork rinds, steak, etc and I lose weight and improve my lipid numbers.

Ok, so far I am feeling really good that someone else eats pork rinds and I also found out W2R is related to Richard Simmons (come on, granola bars are your bad food?)

Aw, you're so nice! I like your way of thinking. I consider granola bars to be essentially just the same as candy bars but I guess they might be a LITTLE better (not much!).

I eat quite a few items that aren't good for you, but only very rarely, so no need to feel bad about it. Eggnog once a year, red meat less than once a month, Cheetos 2-3 times/yr and so on. Can't remember the last time I had pork rinds or doughnuts, but wouldn't feel bad about either. We eat very healthy 6 days/week, and "splurge" 1 day a week (or less) - a habit learned from Body for Life long ago. That way we eat well, but don't feel like we're denying ourselves either. YMMV.

And W2R is right (no surprise), many would be very surprised how many seemingly healthy items really aren't...granola bars are one of hundreds of examples. Food package front labels are usually designed to deceive.

Last edited:
Road kill. Eat the organs first before the body cools off.

Pork rinds without tobacco sauce is soooo pedestrian.

Road kill. Eat the organs first before the body cools off.

Have you actually eaten road kill before or just joking? I *might* eat a deer if it was legal to process one you hit with your car (I don't think it is legal in most states though).

I'm not into junk food at all, things like Cheetos or Hostess cupcakes. I'd never eat a pork rind!

I would love to be able to bake and have homemade things in the house. But I'm a cookie dough eater. Once they are baked I don't want to eat them but when it's still dough I have a hard time resisting. If I bake I use pasteurized eggs so that the unbaked dough is ok.

As for bacon I love it but only eat it a few times a year.

If it's a Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich, well isn't 2/3 of that vegetables?;)

And W2R is right (no surprise), many would be very surprised how many seemingly healthy items really aren't...granola bars are one of hundreds of examples. Food package front labels are usually designed to deceive.

The food processors have turned everything into candy- granola, other cereals, "energy bars", yogurt, coffee (pumpkin-spice latte, anyone?), etc. Even vitamins come in gummi forms. I prefer to buy basic ingredients and make things so I know what I'm actually consuming. For packages products, I do read the labels diligently.

I have no will power to resist ice cream. If there is any in the house, I will eat it. No matter what size container it comes in.

So I only buy it a few times a year, and no larger than pint size.

Most people cringe when I mention I eat a frozen pizza nearly every night. Other than the high sodium they really aren't too bad for you. I've had 200+ every year for the last several years and i'm in very good health. I also eat a couple peanut butter sandwiches nearly every day. I'm not the cookie monster that I once was but I still eat 2-4 cookies 1-2 days a week.

Where to start: boudin, andouille, cracklin's (not that cheap pork rind stuff, the real meaty, fatty, locally cooked ones), fried soft-shell crabs, fried shrimp, chicken livers wrapped in bacon, fried livers, liver and onions, dang I'm getting hungry!
Thankfully my wife doesn't like any of the above (except fried shrimp) so she limits my consumption.

Just this weekend ate milk duds, good n plenty, peppermint ice cream, vanilla ice cream, chocolate brownies, carmel apple, totinos pizza, coke, pancakes.

Back
Top Bottom