What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Finally, something that explains the utter nonsense I've been bothered by all these years.
Like newscasters explaining why the stock market went up or down.

Young know-it-all bank tellers.

My late DF's checking account was closed at the end of March. The other day I got a letter from his garbage collector enclosing two checks they received after that date, and after the garbage service had been canceled (kudos to them!). I took the checks to the bank this morning and they at first told me I had to contact the garbage collector, then they insisted the checks didn't exist (while holding them in his hand).

They then told me I had to call the number on the check for the billpay service company. I called them in the lobby of the bank on my cellphone; they told me I had to speak to the bank. They were good enough to transfer me back to the bank where I spoke with the billpay coordinator. Gladly, she knew that there was a separate "billpay" account at the bank that didn't get canceled.

My peeve is these bank peons who believe what's on a computer screen before what's in their own hands.

Second PPOTD: the new roundabout. Well, not the roundabout (it's great, IMO) but the idiots who are in it. The person in front of me - IN the circle - was stopping at every outlet as they made their way around. :facepalm:

How is someone supposed to know what you are doing... and it appears you were gone long enough for him to put stuff on the belt... so it was either full when you left or you did not put anything on it...

BTW, you could have been fed up and just left... or you were going for more than one item and would not be back for many minutes...

Just saying.....
Reminds of the time DW was in line at the grocery store behind a woman with 2 carts full. As the woman started putting things on the belt a man came up to her and whispered something in her ear. She got a "look" on her face and whispered something back. He whispered again, and then they both just strode quickly out of the store, leaving the stuff they put on the belt as well as the two carts right where they were.

DW's guess is they were planning to pay with something falsified (credit card, money, checks) and something happened to make them realize it would not work.

Merge Lanes

I don't know why I can't ever let this one go but it is such a simple concept. Alternate cars at the merge point. This is a long standing merge point, not construction. Everyone merges as expected and then someone just has to squeeze in and not let you merge. It is such a little thing in the bigger scheme of things but........:mad:

Second PPOTD: the new roundabout. Well, not the roundabout (it's great, IMO) but the idiots who are in it. The person in front of me - IN the circle - was stopping at every outlet as they made their way around. :facepalm:

I think I followed that person, but not on a roundabout last week--she stopped at every single intersection whether or not she had the right of way. Plus she maintained her speed at 10 mph below the posted limit.

Young know-it-all bank tellers.

My peeve is these bank peons who believe what's on a computer screen before what's in their own hands.

I have found over the years any time I encounter customer service people who seem like they are ignorant, lazy azzholes, the real problem is Management. The Boss. Maybe it's just the local supervisor but more often it is "Corporate HQ" business model design stuff. They refuse to train properly or sufficiently and just dump it off on the 8 or 9 dollar an hour person who has no real power and has not been provided enough knowledge to "Make it so!".

Rather than care enough about the customer and properly train the business-customer interface personnel, they just throw them a small bag of dirty tricks to "lose the pain-in-the-ass customer", and just let the clerk types be creative and invent some of their own techniques to make you go away.

People who refer to themselves in the third person. I always assume they are narcissistic or perhaps a few bricks short of a load.

Koogie would never do that.

:cool:

I think I followed that person, but not on a roundabout last week--she stopped at every single intersection whether or not she had the right of way. Plus she maintained her speed at 10 mph below the posted limit.

Oh - - that was probably me. Right after I blew a 4-way stop and ran right through it. :blush:

F patiently points these things out to me, every time. :LOL:

Eventually I will need to "hang it up" and stop driving.

Pay $10 at USPS for their extra special separate fragile handling and the box filled with expensive electronics still arrives banged up.

And every box size for priority if it fits it ships mail has two or three separate dimensions. So you can't just get a box that says large, because there are multiple versions of a large box. And some they keep behind the counter. So if you go into the PO Box portion of the office thinking you can just grab one of the boxes out in their cubbies, nope, you have to come back during business hours.

...........And every box size for priority if it fits it ships mail has two or three separate dimensions. So you can't just get a box that says large, because there are multiple versions of a large box. And some they keep behind the counter. So if you go into the PO Box portion of the office thinking you can just grab one of the boxes out in their cubbies, nope, you have to come back during business hours.
These are available free, shipped to your house. Order a bunch of each size and run the ones you don't need through the fireplace. :LOL:

Pay $10 at USPS for their extra special separate fragile handling and the box filled with expensive electronics still arrives banged up.

And every box size for priority if it fits it ships mail has two or three separate dimensions. So you can't just get a box that says large, because there are multiple versions of a large box. And some they keep behind the counter. So if you go into the PO Box portion of the office thinking you can just grab one of the boxes out in their cubbies, nope, you have to come back during business hours.
However the information is available online, just look for priority mail box sized and it will sent you to this page:Stamps.com - Free White Papers, Postage Costs, Mailing and Shipping Tipspriority-mail-box-guide.pdf
Which after downloading provides a list of all the sizes of boxes available.
Or alternatively for a bit more money go the the UPS store with your items and ask them to pack and ship via usps (it will cost more but will be properly wrapped)

I went through one today. I was going 180° around and a lady pulls up 180° across from me after I started around and tries to take a 90° left hand turn! She almost clobbered my front end.

Modern roundabouts are great, both for safety and traffic flow.

But people have to be educated in how to use them. Unfortunately that hasn't been done in many jurisdictions, so when folks encounter them for the first time they often don't have a clue.

As they spread throughout the country, that should change but it's going to take a long time.

Also important to distinguish between older traffic circles and modern roundabouts.

"Roundabout shmoundabout.......straight across the middle...I'm in a hurry already."

Last edited:
Loud soundtracks at the movies--went to see Kingsman: The Golden Circle this afternoon and literally had my fingers in my ears for at least half the movie to protect the hearing I still have. Must remember to keep foam earplugs in my purse at all times....

These are available free, shipped to your house. Order a bunch of each size and run the ones you don't need through the fireplace. :LOL:

My pet peeve is free boxes from an entity that is broke. Free can't be the right price. Put prepaid postage info on the boxes and sell them for that.

Loud soundtracks at the movies--went to see Kingsman: The Golden Circle this afternoon and literally had my fingers in my ears for at least half the movie to protect the hearing I still have. Must remember to keep foam earplugs in my purse at all times....
We stopped going to the movies for this reason. Even if you complain to management, they only turn it down the very slightest amount. I have no great desire to wear earplugs, especially if I am paying for the experience.

We stopped going to the movies for this reason. Even if you complain to management, they only turn it down the very slightest amount. I have no great desire to wear earplugs, especially if I am paying for the experience.

+1!

Add to that the fact many of the patrons seem to think they're sitting on their couches at home and can talk freely throughout the movie, and I'll watch it on my own couch, thank you very much!

Roundabouts are kids play .They are now adding diamond pattern intersections here .I avoid them like the plague .

Roundabouts are kids play .They are now adding diamond pattern intersections here .I avoid them like the plague .

Oh, those are wicked if you don't understand them. I ran into one in Joplin, MO and it was so confusing. Crazy.

+1!

Add to that the fact many of the patrons seem to think they're sitting on their couches at home and can talk freely throughout the movie, and I'll watch it on my own couch, thank you very much!

Ha! Not at this show—there were only three of us, all solo, widely separated, in the theater (DH was watching ”It” on another screen).

Just happened to me....

Park in a space and open the door.... look down and what do I see?

Someone poured out the milky coffee!!! Yes, right where I need to put my foot... so you KNOW they just opened their door and dumped the rest of it right there...

Water I am OK with... but anything else :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom