What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pet peeve today: The fact that so many restaurants serve NO sugarfree soft drinks without caffeine. Usually all they have in diet sodas is diet Coke.

It wouldn't kill them to offer diet 7-UP too! :2funny: Diet Sprite? :banghead:

"No Coke, Pepsi......cheeseburger..cheeseburger."

"No Coke, Pepsi......cheeseburger..cheeseburger."
Exactly! "No diet 7-up, diet Coke!"
"No [-]soup[/-] diet 7-up for you!"

No matter where you go, no diet 7-up or other non-caffeinated diet soda. It would be easier to have the moon and three stars served up as my lunch, than to get a diet 7-up. :banghead:

Ok, I don't normally drink carbonated drinks but do enjoy a nice glass of iced tea, unsweet please (which means NO sweetener of any kind).
BUT I don't want brown water that has virtually no taste other than the chlorinated city water they make it with! So many places the tea is practically tasteless so why charge me $3 or so for that? Guess I'll continue to drink water....

My current pet peeve is people who can’t take constructive criticism. As an INTJ, I have often been accused of being J (judgmental). In fact I actively work to censor myself and to carefully craft my comments to avoid offence. But some people, particularly younger people, seem to think that they deserve only praise. As a former scientist, I had to get used to having grant applications and papers ruthlessly criticized, rejected, and sent back for revision. I wonder how these young “snowflakes” will deal with the rude awakening that awaits them in the w*rking world.

I suspect this is the biggest reason for so much Bad Science today. My own academic experience proved that peer review is painful. But as the U.S. Marines say, "Pain is just weakness leaving the body."

When we spend years, and gallons of blood, sweat and tears, to create some intellectual masterpiece, we naturally think ours is "the most beautiful baby" in the world. But then comes peer review. Having to defend one's work in a purely objective environment, where the other scientists who do not have the same investment in our masterpiece force us to see our baby's mismatched eyes and crooked smile, hurts like stink. But if we are honest, and we accept criticism dispassionately, we can end up with a better baby.

Ok, I don't normally drink carbonated drinks but do enjoy a nice glass of iced tea, unsweet please (which means NO sweetener of any kind).
BUT I don't want brown water that has virtually no taste other than the chlorinated city water they make it with! So many places the tea is practically tasteless so why charge me $3 or so for that? Guess I'll continue to drink water....

I wish I could do that! I am too sensitive to caffeine after noon, to tolerate even the caffeine in iced tea. Which is why I have no other choices than water at lunch time if I want a no calorie drink.

I mean, really. You'd think that diet 7-up was the rarest beverage on the face of the earth. Maybe it is. :mad: Diet root beer would be nice, too.

Last edited:
I wish I could do that! I am too sensitive to caffeine after noon, to tolerate even the caffeine in iced tea. Which is why I have no other choices than water at lunch time if I want a no calorie drink.

I mean, really. You'd think that diet 7-up was the rarest beverage on the face of the earth. Maybe it is. :mad: Diet root beer would be nice, too.

I just cannot understand the attraction of eating lunch in a restaurant every single day, especially since you are not getting what you want. Why not make lunch at home, accompanied by a beverage of your choosing?

I suspect this is the biggest reason for so much Bad Science today. My own academic experience proved that peer review is painful. But as the U.S. Marines say, "Pain is just weakness leaving the body."

When we spend years, and gallons of blood, sweat and tears, to create some intellectual masterpiece, we naturally think ours is "the most beautiful baby" in the world. But then comes peer review. Having to defend one's work in a purely objective environment, where the other scientists who do not have the same investment in our masterpiece force us to see our baby's mismatched eyes and crooked smile, hurts like stink. But if we are honest, and we accept criticism dispassionately, we can end up with a better baby.
The professor I studied under for my PhD, told me that feedback is the greatest gift anyone can give to any of us. He said that so sincerely that I took it to heart. I often sent thank you notes to those who gave me feedback on my work, whether positive or negative.

What great lessons he had to impart to his students.

I just cannot understand the attraction of eating lunch in a restaurant every single day, especially since you are not getting what you want. Why not make lunch at home, accompanied by a beverage of your choosing?
My goodness. Because I have a wonderful, amazing, handsome, brilliant, loving, attractive lunch partner who likes to eat out.

I suppose I could, say, start a huge explosive argument over it, attempt to dominate and control him, and push him to try eating lunch at home. That's just not my style.

I'd rather just have a pleasant lunch with him and enjoy staring into his beautiful green eyes as he talks about a million fascinating topics, over a cup of soup or a small side salad. With a glass of water. :( But I'd rather it was diet 7-up.

Last edited:
My goodness. Because I have a wonderful, amazing, handsome, brilliant, loving, attractive lunch partner who likes to eat out.

I suppose I could, say, start a huge explosive argument over it, attempt to dominate and control him, and push him to try eating lunch at home. That's just not my style.

I'd rather just have a pleasant lunch with him and enjoy staring into his beautiful green eyes as he talks about a million fascinating topics, over a cup of soup or a small side salad. With a glass of water. :( But I'd rather it was diet 7-up.

Oh, I see. It’s the romance, not the food! In that case, more power to you.

I would bring my own beverage; not uncommon these days, DW always has a bottle of water on her person. After a while, they'd get your point.

My pet peeve are real estate sellers who promise to fix something verbally, then refuse to amend the contract with the agreed repairs to be made by the sellers. I nearly walked out on a deal over a banister and some screens just because of their dishonesty.

The professor I studied under for my PhD, told me that feedback is the greatest gift anyone can give to any of us. He said that so sincerely that I took it to heart. I often sent thank you notes to those who gave me feedback on my work, whether positive or negative. .............
Please check your PMs. I've sent you a laundry list of feedback. j/k :D

.... I'd rather just have a pleasant lunch with him and enjoy staring into his beautiful green eyes as he talks about a million fascinating topics, over a cup of soup or a small side salad. With a glass of water. :( But I'd rather it was diet 7-up.

If these are just a few lunch places that you frequent, perhaps you could ask that they add Diet 7-Up to their menu for you. If you go to a different place every day then that is a whole different kettle of fish.

feedback is the greatest gift anyone can give to any of us.

Without feedback there is little, or no, learning......one wouldn't know if they were improving or in dire need of improvement. Feedback fosters introspection.

I asked a waiter once if the restaurant had diet Sprite. He said, no, only diet Coke. So I asked for a regular Sprite and he asked me if I wanted Sprite or Sprite Free (Sprite Free of course is sugarfree Sprite). :facepalm:

I second bringing your own bottle—just carry a sixpack in the car?

Pet peeve today: The fact that so many restaurants serve NO sugarfree soft drinks without caffeine. Usually all they have in diet sodas is diet Coke.

It wouldn't kill them to offer diet 7-UP too! :2funny: Diet Sprite? :banghead:

Those newer machines that offer probably 100 flavors usually have some diet caffeine free drinks... need to find these places...

You get so many options because you can add flavoring to any drink...

I asked a waiter once if the restaurant had diet Sprite. He said, no, only diet Coke. So I asked for a regular Sprite and he asked me if I wanted Sprite or Sprite Free (Sprite Free of course is sugarfree Sprite). :facepalm:

:2funny:

They did it again! BTN this time (Big Ten Network). I was watching a college football game on BTN. It was the third quarter with 6 minutes left on the clock. Commercial starts. Commercial ends. And now there are 3 minutes left on the clock! The sc*mb*gs cut out 3 minutes of game time!

Of late, not feeling like cooking, checked out a number of places. Western PA seems loaded with "sports bars". Went to a few, just to see what it is all about.

Plenty of food, beer, dozens of TVs covering all vertical surfaces, with many different popular american sports and vise talking heads explaining players, teams, scores strategies or lack thereof. Lots of beer bellied guys shooting the breeze about teams, players, scores, all the while wrestling with extra large mugs of beer.

I have come up with a definition for sports bars:
Crowds of beer bellied guys screaming at the television screens giving expert advice to players on what they should be doing and all the things the idiot professional players are doing wrong.

You forgot "... and trying unsuccessfully to hit on the (usually cute) servers."

I have come up with a definition for sports bars:
Crowds of beer bellied guys screaming at the television screens giving expert advice to players on what they should be doing and all the things the idiot professional players are doing wrong.
What did you expect? It's Western PA!! :LOL:

What did you expect? It's Western PA!! :LOL:

Hey, I am new around these here parts, only around for ten years, and a widower for 6 months. It takes time to discover.:D

Introducing social issues and politics into NFL football. Can't we have somewhere to escape this 24/7 constant din!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom