What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just trying to be a good Christian. OTOH, I guess I can’t complain:

8. 1 Peter 4:8-10 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 9 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.

But I will be making cranberrry sauce for me!

yes... it is good to invite... but it is also good to not demand something from a host unless it might kill you.... like peanut butter and some people... I would just suggest that here are things that meet what you want... any maybe buy a thing or two especially for them, but never change what I wanted.... well, except if it could kill them of course...

yes... it is good to invite... but it is also good to not demand something from a host unless it might kill you.... like peanut butter and some people... I would just suggest that here are things that meet what you want... any maybe buy a thing or two especially for them, but never change what I wanted.... well, except if it could kill them of course...

It was not a demand, just a statement. I am using my discretion in prioritizing the “food intolerances” over the “dislikes”. There will be cranberries on the table. My guest can eat them, or not.

It was not a demand, just a statement. I am using my discretion in prioritizing the “food intolerances” over the “dislikes”. There will be cranberries on the table. My guest can eat them, or not.

No offense, but I agree that you're being too accommodating by changing your menu. Definitely not fair to you.

When I was younger we normally had a big family crowd at holiday dinners. There were always things that some couldn't or wouldn't eat. But as long as there was enough food for everyone to get something, that was fine. If I had been in your shoes, I would have simply told the neighbor what I was serving and left it up to them to decide to attend or not.

Good news is today I became eligible for Medicare coverage. This required that I notify Healthcare.gov to officially remove me from our 2017 ACA policy, while keeping wife on the same policy for the remaining month of December.

For some strange reason it required a new application thru Healthcare.gov. Her subsidy for the first 11 months of 2017 was $916.00 per month. Now for the remaining month of 2017 her subsidy is lowered to $792.00 per month. What the heck! Not only that, Healthcare.gov said that since this is a new application, the monthly premium will likely go up to the current rate for the same coverage. I would think that monthly premium should be the same as it was for the first 11 months of the year. So, it looks like I will have to pay several hundred $ extra for December coverage for DW just because I was dropped from the policy. Something doesn't seem right with that.

That's the way the system works for everyone..you got a family credit based on the cost of 2 people needing coverage Now your credit is based on the cost of one person. It won't just be for December either, it will for any remaining time she spends on ACA. Which I'm sure you know by now. Just pointing out there is no peeve here, that's the way it works.

No offense, but I agree that you're being too accommodating by changing your menu. Definitely not fair to you.

I have to agree.

From what I have read the OP is bending over to accommodate one person at the risk of dis-accommodating everybody else.

For a good laugh (and with apologies to those who suffer from Celiac or are truly gluten intolerant) watch a few of JP Sears videos on being a Vegan and/or gluten free. It's especially good at about 2 minutes.

Last edited:
I rarely have a pet peeve, but here goes:
People who declare multiple food allergies, intolerances and dislikes. One is enough!

Well, the first thing you did wrong is inviting this guest.... second, listening to them and their problem...

Indeed!

I do have a genuine gluten intolerance but I've never asked or expected that anyone else dance around that issue. There is always some alternative that is suitable that I've been able to find.

Tomorrow we will be going to a large family gathering and a huge dinner. I'm certain that dinner rolls will be on the menu and I do not expect them to be gluten free. I just don't eat them. There will be enough food to feed the proverbial regiment so if anyone goes hungry in that environment it's their own dang fault.

A commercial on TV has just turned another noun into a verb. Yay! Now you can 'holiday' like never before with Acme blah blah...

Meadbh-I feel your frustration and you’ve a fair perspective. I remember the time my new DIL asked to invite someone I had never met to Christmas dinner. Culturally we are FAMILY only for dinner. What could I say? The guest had to work late...food was off the table. She couldn’t find the house. On and on...When she did arrive and sat down to eat in the dining room, I noticed she was crying. When I asked her if I could help she said “I’m so happy to be here”. She was 22, only child and 1st Christmas 2k miles from parents. Changed my Grinch heart! She spent much of the eve patiently communicating with my Dad who had a stroke. Sometimes these situations are a real pain in the butt. Period. But when it’s a win, the win is big!

Indeed!

I do have a genuine gluten intolerance but I've never asked or expected that anyone else dance around that issue. There is always some alternative that is suitable that I've been able to find.

Tomorrow we will be going to a large family gathering and a huge dinner. I'm certain that dinner rolls will be on the menu and I do not expect them to be gluten free. I just don't eat them. There will be enough food to feed the proverbial regiment so if anyone goes hungry in that environment it's their own dang fault.

I hope you had a wonderful time at your family feast. I was not planning on feeding the proverbial regiment; just Christmas dinner for three people. I spent at least $20 extra to accommodate the intolerances and dislikes. I made some compromises: for example, I bought gluten free stuffing and added spices and prunes, instead of the sausage meat and cranberries that I would have used if made from scratch. It was actually pretty good! My guests were very appreciative of my efforts and pronounced the food delicious, and we had a great time.

I hope you had a wonderful time at your family feast. I was not planning on feeding the proverbial regiment; just Christmas dinner for three people. I spent at least $20 extra to accommodate the intolerances and dislikes. I made some compromises: for example, I bought gluten free stuffing and added spices and prunes, instead of the sausage meat and cranberries that I would have used if made from scratch. It was actually pretty good! My guests were very appreciative of my efforts and pronounced the food delicious, and we had a great time.

Why no sausage? Or cranberries? As long as the sausage has no MSG, it should be gluten free. DM has been making gluten free sausage stuffing for DW for 35 years.

Why no sausage? Or cranberries? As long as the sausage has no MSG, it should be gluten free. DM has been making gluten free sausage stuffing for DW for 35 years.

I wasn’t taking any chances, even if it was locally made mild Italian sausage. You know what they say about sausage: you don’t want to see it being made!

But soy yogurt is the pits!

Brine (liquid road salt) trucks that pour down thousands of gallons of brine onto the roads, so that you can drive over it and get it all over your undercarriage and rust out your car. Wow, it's not even snowing yet and I still get to rust out my car! What a deal! Sure enough, yesterday the brine trucks were out, wasting taxpayer money. Not a flake of snow anywhere. Next day, still no snow, no ice. Oh wait, a possible flurry was forecast. Gotta waste that taxpayer money before year-end?

Brine (liquid road salt) trucks that pour down thousands of gallons of brine onto the roads, so that you can drive over it and get it all over your undercarriage and rust out your car. Wow, it's not even snowing yet and I still get to rust out my car! What a deal! Sure enough, yesterday the brine trucks were out, wasting taxpayer money. Not a flake of snow anywhere. Next day, still no snow, no ice. Oh wait, a possible flurry was forecast. Gotta waste that taxpayer money before year-end?

As well as adding to the level of dissolved solids in our streams and rivers. Then we can fine mining companies, and those horrible frackers for the same thing later!

Not to jump on your pet peeve too much, but the fiscal year for gvmts is not ending in Dec... so paying it by year end means nothing...

Now, if they just want to pad their salary, which may include overtime, then that could be a reason.....

https://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/monosodium-glutamate/

Bottom line: There may be other reasons to avoid MSG but gluten is not one of them. According to the International Glutamate Information Service (http://www.glutamate.org) monosodium glutamate (MSG) is gluten free.

When MSG first became available commercially in 1909 it was isolated from wheat flour. Wheat gluten remained the primary source of MSG until the 1960s when other methods of production were developed, including chemical synthesis and fermentation.

BUT even if MSG is either isolated from wheat gluten or fermented using wheat starch as a starting material, keep in mind that MSG is the monosodium salt of the single amino acid glutamic acid. MSG is NOT gluten, or gliadin, or even a celiac-toxic chain of amino acids.

-ERD50

Since it wasn't mentioned until after the invite, and there was no offer from your guest to bring a dish he/she could eat, I think you'd be generous to meet her 1/3rd of the way.

I'd say, "Oh, I didn't know. I have my menu set already, and it's based on family traditions, I won't have time to shop/prepare much in the way of alternatives, and I don't have any gluten-free, lactose free-recipes that I know how to make. I'll see about substituting x for y, could you bring a few dishes that you enjoy to compliment the dinner? That would really help, thanks!"

And I think I learned from this forum, you could follow up with what I believe is a Southern tradition, and say "And Bless your heart!".

We make reasonable accommodations for our guests, keeping certain ingredients to the side, or an extra dish to round out, knowing they won't eat some things. But it is known up front so we can plan, so no big deal for us.

-ERD50

Having to go to the supermarket the day before Thanksgiving or Christmas to buy one item that is not quite optional but is also not related to the holiday itself (e.g. really just needing one coffee filter for my next morning's coffee).

Since it wasn't mentioned until after the invite, and there was no offer from your guest to bring a dish he/she could eat, I think you'd be generous to meet her 1/3rd of the way.

I'd say, "Oh, I didn't know. I have my menu set already, and it's based on family traditions, I won't have time to shop/prepare much in the way of alternatives, and I don't have any gluten-free, lactose free-recipes that I know how to make. I'll see about substituting x for y, could you bring a few dishes that you enjoy to compliment the dinner? That would really help, thanks!"

And I think I learned from this forum, you could follow up with what I believe is a Southern tradition, and say "And Bless your heart!".

We make reasonable accommodations for our guests, keeping certain ingredients to the side, or an extra dish to round out, knowing they won't eat some things. But it is known up front so we can plan, so no big deal for us.

-ERD50

Sorry, not my style. If I were to go with my family’s traditions (which I left behind long ago), the meal would be very heavy and more expensive to produce. And if I said “bless your heart” people would wonder what was the matter with me. The guest in question does not cook. She brought a bottle of wine at my request. It was French and quite horrible.

Next year I will plan something different. Time to move on.

This has happened to me twice this week. Talk about businesses that shoot themselves in the foot....

Twice this week on two different websites, I saw a small message telling me that they earn their income through ads, and asking me to turn off my ad-blocking software so the site can continue to operate. Being a reasonable person who does not expect something for nothing, and since I do make use of the sites frequently, I did as they asked.

In both cases, within minutes one of those 'floating bars', the kind that block the material in back of them, popped up on the screen. In both cases, nothing I could do would get rid of the bar. It continued to block my view of the material I wanted to read. So, I end up with only two real choices - turn on the ad-blocker, or go to another site.

Amazing!

This has happened to me twice this week. Talk about businesses that shoot themselves in the foot....

Twice this week on two different websites, I saw a small message telling me that they earn their income through ads, and asking me to turn off my ad-blocking software so the site can continue to operate. Being a reasonable person who does not expect something for nothing, and since I do make use of the sites frequently, I did as they asked.

In both cases, within minutes one of those 'floating bars', the kind that block the material in back of them, popped up on the screen. In both cases, nothing I could do would get rid of the bar. It continued to block my view of the material I wanted to read. So, I end up with only two real choices - turn on the ad-blocker, or go to another site.

Amazing!

Try clicking on the little green arrow next the web address and then click on "cached". When I do that I can usually read the article without having to deal with those ad blocker things.

Attachments

• cached.JPG
    cached.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 30
"Automatic" devices that make life worse. 3 examples:
1) The lights in my car. In the "old days," if you wanted the lights on or off, (headlights, dome lights, etc) you just hit the switch. I liked it just fine that way. Now, when my dome light is on I don't know if it is because I turned it on (and must turn it off, or it will stay on and kill the battery) or it is on due to turning off the ignition at night, or because a door/hatch isn't entirely shut, etc.

2) "Smart" car door locks: That lock the doors when the car starts moving, won't let me unlock them if the car is in drive, etc. How about if the doors just do what I ask when I hit the switch?

3) Copy machines that won't. At least not until you verify that you've chosen the right paper tray, the correct zoom level, the correct paper orientation, etc. How about this: When I press the green button, just make a copy using the default settings? Maybe the orientation, size, or paper will be wrong, but 95% of the time it will be just fine.

Problems with telephone menus and waiting on hold.

I've been on the phone waiting for CoveredCA for eight minutes so far. The first four minutes was a description of information totally irrelevant for me. No way to get around it.

Next came menu options none of which were what I wanted. Finally, I was put on hold for a representatives. The entire time, there's nonstop, mind-numbing blather about irrelevant stuff. Please, just music or dead air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom