What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gouging by taxi companies. Cab fare is now $5 a mile in my town. Unbelievable. All the cab companies charge that or more, it looks like. Guess I'll have to get a fancy magic rectangle (ipad or smartphone or something) and join the 21st century and use Uber. Yuck. I was happy with my old flip phone. Maybe I can use my old flip phone for Uber. I'll have to check it out.

TV stations and have this need to put their logo on the screen 24x7. Worse they may take 10% of the bottom of the screen to advertise the next show. When I am watching a show I do not want to see "Next Up: Jim the Juggler mid-season finale".

And what is with the mid season 'Finale' shows? Sometimes I wish I was subscribed to cable so that I could cancel it. :-0

Good news is today I became eligible for Medicare coverage. This required that I notify Healthcare.gov to officially remove me from our 2017 ACA policy, while keeping wife on the same policy for the remaining month of December.

For some strange reason it required a new application thru Healthcare.gov. Her subsidy for the first 11 months of 2017 was $916.00 per month. Now for the remaining month of 2017 her subsidy is lowered to $792.00 per month. What the heck! Not only that, Healthcare.gov said that since this is a new application, the monthly premium will likely go up to the current rate for the same coverage. I would think that monthly premium should be the same as it was for the first 11 months of the year. So, it looks like I will have to pay several hundred $ extra for December coverage for DW just because I was dropped from the policy. Something doesn't seem right with that.

Drug stores that are really mini marts. I went to Walgreens today to get some Claritan for my allergies, WTH lol the actual drugs take up about 1 aisle in the back, in a corner, in a booth by the emergency exit.

Today my pet peeve is Menards. I don't like the store for several reasons. However, top of my list right now is their "rebate" program. Twice, now, I've filled out all the correct forms, attached the receipt, mailed it in--and never got the rebate. Menards refuses all responsibility for it; they say it is only a matter for the rebate company. The rebate company has automated e-mails that just say "the check was sent"--no human person to speak with. Menards has lost a customer; I won't go back to a company who takes no responsibility for their so-called promotions.

Today my pet peeve is Menards. Menards has lost a customer; I won't go back to a company who takes no responsibility for their so-called promotions.

Why would you do business with a store that deceives you from the outset? A STORE CREDIT IS NOT A REBATE!

I remember now why I haven't had a poinsettia in the house in almost ten years. I bought a nice, big beautiful poinsettia from Costco last Monday. That stupid thing drops leaves and pips like crazy. I have to clean up the area around it every single day.

Upselling stealerships:mad:

A while back we took the Honda Accord to the dealer for a recall notice on a battery sensor. While there they wanted us to spring for a change of brake fluid, which they claimed was recommended by Honda. DW was going to go for it but it sounded fishy to me so I declined.

I just made an appointment with the local guy we've been dealing with for 15 years for a state inspection and tire rotation and I asked about the brake fluid change. He said "Nope, that's just an upsell. When the brake pads are changed the brake fluid is bled at that time if the job is done right".

That's about what I figured.

Last edited:
Be glad they didn't want to change the air in your tires.
:facepalm:

Stale air has been associated with every tire failure. There's not a single case recorded of failure of a tire with fresh air. There's gotta be something there ...

:facepalm:

Stale air has been associated with every tire failure. There's not a single case recorded of failure of a tire with fresh air. There's gotta be something there ...

Well it is said that using pure nitrogen when filling tires is best. However, natural air is 78% nitrogen.

......... While there they wanted us to spring for a change of brake fluid, which they claimed was recommended by Honda............
Changing brake fluid is not totally bogus - it does absorb water over time. At MegaMotors, we had some issues where an older truck would absorb water in the brake fluid then when the brakes got very hot (think down a mountain with a trailer), the brake fluid would boil which caused a dramatic loss of braking. It is pretty common not to bleed brakes when just replacing the pads - the piston is just forced back and new pads are inserted. If the pedal is not spongy, no bleeding is done.

That said, I wouldn't get anything done at a dealership that was not under warranty or totally essential due to special tools.

Changing brake fluid is not totally bogus - it does absorb water over time. At MegaMotors, we had some issues where an older truck would absorb water in the brake fluid then when the brakes got very hot (think down a mountain with a trailer), the brake fluid would boil which caused a dramatic loss of braking. It is pretty common not to bleed brakes when just replacing the pads - the piston is just forced back and new pads are inserted. If the pedal is not spongy, no bleeding is done.

That said, I wouldn't get anything done at a dealership that was not under warranty or totally essential due to special tools.

Every brake job I do (family cars) I use my Motive pressure bleeder to change the brake fluid. Takes all of 30 minutes once the new pads and calipers are mounted. Living in a very humid climate, the brake fluid will tend to absorb moisture through the master cylinder vent hole.

Every brake job I do (family cars) I use my Motive pressure bleeder to change the brake fluid. Takes all of 30 minutes once the new pads and calipers are mounted. Living in a very humid climate, the brake fluid will tend to absorb moisture through the master cylinder vent hole.
How far do you live from Walt? :LOL:

Menards has lost a customer; I won't go back to a company who takes no responsibility for their so-called promotions.
Well, I'm not going to try to dispute your gripe about the Menards mail-in promotions. I've mailed in hundreds of those things and have never noted a failure to pay, but I don't track them closely, either. But, IMO, the store does so many things so much better than HD and Lowe's that I personally wouldn't quit going there even if they threw every one of my rebate claims in the trash. Their web site is fantastic, the lumber is relatively straight, and they just stock a lot of things others don't.

I'd be mad if they screwed up the rebates, and I'd grouse about it, but I sure wouldn't stop shopping there.

I remember now why I haven't had a poinsettia in the house in almost ten years. I bought a nice, big beautiful poinsettia from Costco last Monday. That stupid thing drops leaves and pips like crazy. I have to clean up the area around it every single day.

Many times it's the environment that causes leaf drop. It's crazy, too much water, not enough water, too dry atmosphere, too cold. Maybe it's the location. They don't like to be in a location where there's a cool draft, like near a fire place, door or window. My house is pretty dark and the temps are warm (husband sick and likes it warm) and my poinsettia are doing fine. Don't give up.

I rarely have a pet peeve, but here goes:
People who declare multiple food allergies, intolerances and dislikes. One is enough!

I made the mistake of inviting a neighbour to Christmas dinner. A day later, this person declared intolerances to lactose and gluten, and a dislike of cranberries. Cranberries!!! These are non-negotiable!

I am now spending extra hours and money modifying my menu. I was so looking forward to unadulterated Christmas fare, and the substitutes will not match the flavours of the originals. Coconut yogurt is a poor substitute for home made dairy sour cream! Store bought gluten free rolls are no match for my home made bread! And gluten free stuffing: Yeuch!

Next Christmas, I will be cooking for myself and not inviting anybody. Bah, humbug!

Last edited:
Website "improvements" that make the site less accessible. imdb.com mucked with their site this month such that the single page of user ratings of all episodes of a series is nowhere to be found, and now one can only read the first 10 users reviews. The remaining reviews might be hidden behind javascript, but it worked fine for years without javascript so why complicate and slow things now?

I rarely have a pet peeve, but here goes:
People who declare multiple food allergies, intolerances and dislikes. One is enough!

I made the mistake of inviting a neighbour to Christmas dinner. A day later, this person declared intolerances to lactose and gluten, and a dislike of cranberries. Cranberries!!! These are non-negotiable!

I am now spending extra hours and money modifying my menu. I was so looking forward to unadulterated Christmas fare, and the substitutes will not match the flavours of the originals. Coconut yogurt is a poor substitute for home made dairy sour cream! And store bought gluten free rolls are no match for my home made bread!

Next Christmas, I will be cooking for myself and not inviting anybody. Bah, humbug!

Well, the first thing you did wrong is inviting this guest.... second, listening to them and their problem...

I would have politely said that I will be cooking what I want to cook and you have the option to either bring what you want or to choose what I have that does not bother you...

I do not like nuts... and have told family not to worry about me when it comes to desert... some have more than one and will buy/make something that I like but if there is only one I have been left out before... and guess what, when at my house they know that it will be something that I like...

Well, the first thing you did wrong is inviting this guest.... second, listening to them and their problem...

I was just trying to be a good Christian. OTOH, I guess I can’t complain:

8. 1 Peter 4:8-10 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 9 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.

But I will be making cranberrry sauce for me!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom