What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Self explanatory, this is for a new cable modem/router. Now I may not be the smartest cookie in the box but how do you get online to get the self-install instructions so you can install the modem to get online? Right, you spend one and a half hours with a tech support guy on the phone to get it working!

Attachments

• 20180317_063507 (1).jpg
    20180317_063507 (1).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 212
Self explanatory, this is for a new cable modem/router. Now I may not be the smartest cookie in the box but how do you get online to get the self-install instructions so you can install the modem to get online? Right, you spend one and a half hours with a tech support guy on the phone to get it working!

Yes, I understand.

A few years ago during a particularly bad wind storm power was knocked out all over the area. Many schools were closed. A local radio station I was listening to on my battery powered radio (remember those?) advised us to check on school closures and other things via the Internet. :nonono:

Yes, I understand.
A few years ago during a particularly bad wind storm power was knocked out all over the area. Many schools were closed. A local radio station I was listening to on my battery powered radio (remember those?) advised us to check on school closures and other things via the Internet. :nonono:

Not really that stupid. Most parents of school aged children these days will have smart phones (hell, the kids probably do too).

You'd be surprised how many people nowadays consume the internet almost entirely on their phones...

Since the photo on the flyer shows a smart phone, they apparently assume everybody has one. Probably not a universal thing to assume.

Well I do have a smartphone and I tried multiple times. Like I said it took the support guy one and a half hours to get it activated. Supposed to be automatic from their end but you know how that works....

Not really that stupid. Most parents of school aged children these days will have smart phones (hell, the kids probably do too).

You'd be surprised how many people nowadays consume the internet almost entirely on their phones...

I see your point, but at that time the power failure had knocked out most of the cell phone towers also. I understand they have upgraded the emergency power on them since them.

In fact, I still had a old fashioned landline at that time and several of my neighbors used it to call, or at least try to call, relatives and friends.

Last edited:
My Pet Peave for today

I pulled my ham string muscle (layman's term, I know) but it is taking forever to heal. annoying

FINALLY got the check from the title company for the sale of my late Dad's house last year since it's been 12 months since he died (hard to believe!). They had to hold it in an escrow account due to some rule.

In MD at least (and I imagine some other states as well) the estate has to remain open for one year after it is opened to give claimants time to notify the court/executor of any claims. If the executor does distribute funds to heirs so that there is not enough to pay what a later claim is, the executor is personally liable for the amount. Or in this case, the title company since they're custodian of the funds.

No way is the title company going to take on that risk. And of course they aren't going to put the funds in ANY investment that has any risk at all.

Yes, I understand.

Yes. Our power company tells us to check the status of power outages online.

But I have to admit, I've done this. I have the cable modem and router on a UPS, so for a few minutes I can indeed check online. Also, if I go to Starbucks (and they have power) I can check the status there.

So, it's not totally crazy.

Last edited:
It bugs me when news stories fail to answer the obvious questions.

For example, for the dog that died in the overhead, CBS news failed to say why he died. Puppies can be in small spaces/dens.

After Googling, I finally found speculation that it was lack of airflow. It's not obvious that those compartments are airtight (are they?).

But CBS should have at least said, "We don't know why it died, but some suspect that it suffocated."

Here's another example of something the news didn't mention (didn't think of it?):

Skripal, the former Russian double agent, was killed with a nerve agent that was developed in a top-secret laboratory in Moscow.

Here's the question they didn't ask or try to answer: There are lots of ways to kill someone. Why do you need to use a nerve agent that would tie it to Russia? Why not just shoot him?

The only reasons I could think of would be to send a message.

In any case, why has no one mentioned that?

The only reasons I could think of would be to send a message.

Also depends on what the message is, is it an obfuscation, and (perhaps) who is trying to implicate whom.

*this doesn't happen at grocery stores, where they automatically give you a receipt*

Right before I scan or insert my credit card, I say "I'd like a receipt please"
Approximately 20% of the time, the cashier, literally seconds later, will ask
"would you like a receipt ?

Yes. Our power company tells us to check the status of power outages online.

But I have to admit, I've done this. I have the cable modem and router on a UPS, so for a few minutes I can indeed check online. Also, if I go to Starbucks (and they have power) I can check the status there.

So, it's not totally crazy.
If this didn't work for some reason, then maybe one could just use a cell phone to check the internet. If the entire area isn't experiencing an outage, there may be a cell phone tower that is working or there could be one that has a generator. If the power outage is lengthy, usually cell phones can be recharged in the car.

Last edited:
My Pet Peeve is how long it takes you to get back in shape as you age after an illness or injury . I had the flu and ended up in the hospital now every day is a struggle to get back physically to where I was . If I was 50 I would ace this but at 71 it is taking forever .

My Pet Peeve is how long it takes you to get back in shape as you age after an illness or injury.

It is scary how fast the atrophy sets in now. That's a major motivation for me to hit the gym every other day, I'm afraid of what will happen if I don't!

A real pet peeve of mine that just happened today is the slow wallet draw, whether it’s waiting in line at the grocery store and the guy in front of you doesn’t go for the draw until the cashier verbally announces the total or one of my buddies at Starbucks that actually never draws it out, to him it’s a slow roll but it’s actually a no roll, I can see his hand on it but it never comes out.

It is scary how fast the atrophy sets in now. That's a major motivation for me to hit the gym every other day, I'm afraid of what will happen if I don't!

I am in a specialized exercise program besides doing daily exercises .I want to be 50 again.

My Pet Peeve is how long it takes you to get back in shape as you age after an illness or injury . I had the flu and ended up in the hospital now every day is a struggle to get back physically to where I was . If I was 50 I would ace this but at 71 it is taking forever .
Sorry you are still struggling with this!! You are right; it does take longer now than it did when we were younger. Best wishes and I hope you get back to where you want to be, very soon. :(

Had this happen a few times on our vacation....

People who drive slow and will not let you pass.... we were in Big Bend which has many miles of two lane roads... and some off road stuff...

Got behind a slow driver off road... he FINALLY pulled over to let a car pass coming the other way and I went around him...

An RV was doing between 5 and 15 mph slower than the posted speed... there are pullouts at different parts, but NO... cars were stacking up behind him.... I was up front and was able to get around him in about 4 miles..

Today I have a pet peeve. Email systems that delete, or categorize as junk, messages sent to a mailing list, or messages with attachments. It’s creating a lot of rework for me as I try to manage a golf group. People with certain types of email accounts complain that I am not sending them information or not responding to them, when in fact I have proof I sent the emails and I respond ASAP. It makes me look bad, and it’s outside my control.

Last edited:
I could have been the one in the RV. And yes my max speed is 65mph both for safety and economy. And no I won't pull over in Texas and risk my over $4000 tires to damage from shoulder debris and even more $$$$$ from damage caused from a blowout. I will use the right lanes wherever they are. Basically it's like this: if you aren't a good enough driver to safely pass me, then deal with it. And that's my pet peeve for today, people who tailgate and get peeved at me for driving safely.

I do tax returns for a friend and a few relatives. It seems that as long as they don't have to pay anything in addition to what was withheld that they are happier than pigs in mud... they seem to have no appreciation for if the are getting a sizeable refund that they have made the government a tax-free loan... and these are otherwise pretty smart people... drives me crazy.
Their mindset is probably that of someone victim to a thief; So glad that was all that was taken from them and if some of what was stolen was recovered, well that's icing on the cake. But, what if the thief decides to return? Better to give him all he wants and maybe even more just to avoid that!
Never forget the IRS can be harsh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom