What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The modern looking controls on my air cleaner, that you just have to lightly tap. After four years it started turning on and changing settings all by itself. I want normal snap-action switches.

Another gym peeve today: people who sing out loud to their music and otherwise make too much noise. There's a guy at my gym who not only sings out loud while on the stair stepper, but also from time to time claps loudly and shouts, "Wooo!!!" or "...five, six, seven, eight, YEAH!! Warm it up now!!!", and things like that. You can hear him all the way across the gym. Also, he uses the stepper that everyone must walk by on the way to the locker room, and he likes to greet people loudly, like, "Heyy!!!, how ya doing today!!! It's good to see ya!!!" He's seems like a nice guy, and I do admire his energy and enthusiasm, but I wish he'd tone it down a bit.

I've posted before about traffic and crowding being my peeve. But today..... I may have found the zone! Between 9:30 AM and 11:00 AM, on a Thursday. Drove to the grocery store. Light traffic! (Good) Shopped in the store. Not many people shopping! (Good) Drove home. Light traffic again! So the zone exists!! I'll have to try it again sometime.

Social media influncencers. Hard to read any news website without some mention of them getting rich. Actually I find it fascinating that there are people spending their time following them. How's it go? a sucker born every minute.

Social media influncencers. Hard to read any news website without some mention of them getting rich. Actually I find it fascinating that there are people spending their time following them. How's it go? a sucker born every minute.

There was a blurb on TV where an influencer was quite concerned that the change to FBs 'likes' will have a detrimental effect on her income. My reaction... ... :dance:.

Pet peeve #1 for me happened again last night -

Stores that demand personal information to sell you a product.

Went to a large national chain last night to pick up a pair of pliers. The clerk asked "Cash or Credit Card?". Answered "Cash", he asked "Would you like to apply for a XXXX Credit Card?" "No, I just want to pay cash". "Okay, what's your phone number?"
"I'm not giving you my phone number - I just want this pair of pliers" "Well we have to enter your phone number in to do the transaction" "No". "How about your cell phone number then?" "No". "Well, then we need your E-mail address". "No" on and on and on. He basically was insistent that, until I provided the company with my personal information, he was not allowed to give me my change.

All in all it took 10 minutes to pay cash for a pair of pliers. It still amazes me that a retail establishment is more interested in getting my phone number and E-mail address than they are in selling their products.

Ok.... mini-rant over

You must have a much friendlier face and/or voice than I do. ;)

Pet peeve #1 for me happened again last night -

Stores that demand personal information to sell you a product.

Went to a large national chain last night to pick up a pair of pliers. The clerk asked "Cash or Credit Card?". Answered "Cash", he asked "Would you like to apply for a XXXX Credit Card?" "No, I just want to pay cash". "Okay, what's your phone number?"
"I'm not giving you my phone number - I just want this pair of pliers" "Well we have to enter your phone number in to do the transaction" "No". "How about your cell phone number then?" "No". "Well, then we need your E-mail address". "No" on and on and on. He basically was insistent that, until I provided the company with my personal information, he was not allowed to give me my change.

All in all it took 10 minutes to pay cash for a pair of pliers. It still amazes me that a retail establishment is more interested in getting my phone number and E-mail address than they are in selling their products.

Ok.... mini-rant over

There is a good chance I would have suggested where they could re-shelve those pliers, then told the manager I would be taking my business elsewhere an why. I'm not on this earth with the limited time we have to sort through unwanted emails and phone calls.

Cheers!

You must have a much friendlier face and/or voice than I do. ;)
No kidding. I usually just grunt No, and they punch in some random number.

If pushed, I would probably give them a random number. If I faced this often, I'd find a good number to give, like maybe a 900 number for phone sex.

When I need a number to use in place of those grocery store loyalty cards, I use my old land line #. Someone who used to work in retail kind of scolded me, because he says he's tried calling numbers of people who left something behind so he thinks I should be using a valid number. Not enough of a reason for me.

If pushed, I would probably give them a random number.

That’s what I’ve always done. It’s so easy to just reel off a series of random numbers when asked for a phone number or a zip code, and it speeds the process along.

That’s what I’ve always done. It’s so easy to just reel off a series of random numbers when asked for a phone number or a zip code, and it speeds the process along.

I feel sorry for the guy at 123-456-7890.

I'm tempted to give a 8 digit phone number next time. Then when they say there's a couple of numbers missing, I'll do my best Tom Hanks impersonation from Big and say "Oh...12." That was the job interview scene when he made up a SSN.

If pushed, I would probably give them a random number.

I am reminded of the scene in My Blue Heaven where Vinnie (the gangster in witness protection) has to give the FBI agent his SS number. He rattles off ten made-up nonsense numbers. When informed he has one to many numbers he replies "Oh, just take away the last number".

Like many I am amazed at how retailers will spend a fortune on advertising to get us into the store, then they make it difficult for the customer to spend his/her money. What is that about?

Last edited:
Like many I am amazed at how retailers will spend a fortune on advertising to get us into the store, then they make it difficult for the customer to spend his/her money. What is that about?

MoMoney by selling your info.

Last edited by a moderator:
peeve of the dentist patient

I suppose it has probably been said at least once in the previous 221 pages, but my pet peeve for today is the dentist asking me a series of questions while his instruments are buried deep within my gaping maw. Granted they were yes/no questions, but shaking and nodding wouldn't work without dislodging his probe and my immobilized tongue made 'yes' and 'no' impossible. So of course I resorted to the closest approximation of 'uh-huh and 'un-unh' that I could manage, while gagging on the saliva that was collecting at the back of my throat. Good times.

NPR headlines like "Bubonic Plague's Most Dangerous Strain Reported By Chinese Authorities : Goats and Soda"

I asked my local plague tracking authorities about the Goats and Soda strain and they laughed at me.

If pushed, I would probably give them a random number. If I faced this often, I'd find a good number to give, like maybe a 900 number for phone sex.

Just for grins, a several times I have given then the store area code then 867-5309. So far no one has figured it out. :)

Just for grins, a several times I have given then the store area code then 867-5309. So far no one has figured it out. :)

Odds are your cashier was not even born, let alone listening to music, when the song came out in 1981. Though it still lives on in elevator and bar music.:facepalm:

OTOH, your cashier could have been still working part time, on SS, at age 70, in which case they still might not get it.:D

Odds are your cashier was not even born, let alone listening to music, when the song came out in 1981. Though it still lives on in elevator and bar music.:facepalm:

OTOH, your cashier could have been still working part time, on SS, at age 70, in which case they still might not get it.:D

Alright, you guys have convinced me to spin some vinyl.

Attachments

• tommytutone.jpg
    tommytutone.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Tamper proof screws where they're (IMO) unnecessary.

The modern looking controls on my air cleaner, that you just have to lightly tap. After four years it started turning on and changing settings all by itself. I want normal snap-action switches.

So, I tried opening it to clean it from the inside and discovered two of the six screws aren't ordinary Philips heads. A 1/8" allen wrench fit one of them well enough that I was able remove it with difficulty. They're T20 tamper proof screws but the one I removed had a short stem so the allen wrench fit. For the other one I ordered a screwdriver from Hong Kong ($2) so I'm suddenly extra interested in a resolution to their conflict.

Tamper proof screws where they're (IMO) unnecessary.

So, I tried opening it to clean it from the inside and discovered two of the six screws aren't ordinary Philips heads. A 1/8" allen wrench fit one of them well enough that I was able remove it with difficulty. They're T20 tamper proof screws but the one I removed had a short stem so the allen wrench fit. For the other one I ordered a screwdriver from Hong Kong ($2) so I'm suddenly extra interested in a resolution to their conflict.
Buy this from Harbor Freight for ten bux and never be frustrated again. https://www.harborfreight.com/100-pc-security-bit-set-with-case-68457.html

Maybe it has been already been mentioned but it bugs me to hear young people respond to a thank you by saying "No Problem".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom