What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We educated our son early to ask and to politely decline peanut candy at Halloween.

Fortunately, we live in an neighborhood where parents were sympathetic to such situations.

We did have to face a very dangerous situation at school where in Kindergarten, a helper forced our son to eat his peanut butter sandwich because 'everyone else is eating as told, so should you', despite his being told to say that he is allergic to peanuts.

Fortunately, we had his Epipen registered and on hand at the head office and it was administered when he started to show symptoms.

The helper was dismissed later after review for callous disregard of established procedures and not listening to our son.

Would we prefer our son not have the allergy and the associated problems?

Of course - what parent wouldn't, as would our son.

It isn't fun and it's deadly serious.

Sure would be nice if more people had some compassion for this.

I know that you have very strong feelings that you are right.... but I just do not see how it is everybody job to protect your boy... if he is allergic to peanuts, then only take him to neighbors that you know... do not show up on my door expecting me to make sure that my candy is 'clean'....

I also remember that when we were young, we did not hear about all these deadly allergies... I loved PBJ sandwiches.... so did my daughter... why should she suffer not having something she really loves for lunch because someone might have an allergy.... it is not like my daughter is spreading the PB all over the school...

I do agree that being forced to eat a PB sandwich is horrible... he should not have done so... be sent to the office and they would have handled it without him having a potential deadly problem...

It isn't fun and it's deadly serious.

No doubt, and I think all but the most obtuse people are aware of that. But I also think part of dealing with it is to not put oneself or one's child in the position where coming in contact with peanuts is readily foreseeable and even likely, such as going trick or treating on Halloween.

What irritates others is expecting everyone else to alter their behavior to accommodate one person's medical condition. That is just not reasonable.

So, while I knew better than to hand out individual bags of peanuts, some of the wrapped candy does have peanuts in it. It is the parent's responsibility, not mine, to decide if the wrapped candy we hand out is safe for their kids.

But, a child declining the candy should not be met with disdain.

Right?

If not, then cancel my account here for the intolerance.

But, a child declining the candy should not be met with disdain.

Right?

Right, not with disdain.

But the kid didn't say that he had an allergy. He just turned down a (free) candy with peanuts and asked for something else. Maybe he just doesn't like peanuts?

urn2bfree didn't say.

I live directly next door to a drive thru restaurant. My pet peeve is people who go to a drive thru with extremely loud exhaust on their cars. If you can't afford to buy a muffler, then you can't afford to eat out.

Pet Peeve

My pet peeve is companies that provide only one method to contact them, especially if it is only e-mail. Just had a problem trying to contact a company and e-mail did not work. I had to post on a user forum and a moderator took pity on me and forwarded a message for me. Big hassle. Not sure if I will continue to do business with them.

In honor of Halloween, my pet peeve is that big box stores will let you try on clothing but not costumes. What is the difference:confused:

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

My pet peeve of the day - Robocalls.

So far today my home phone has received 14 robocalls. My cell phone, 3.
The home phone is not a big deal - we have it forwarded to google voice... most of the calls are for solar panel sellers and something in spanish that I don't understand (nor does google voice.)

The cell phone one is more annoying - it's a canned message saying I'm being sued by the IRS and to call them back immediately to resolve it. A quick google shows it's a spoofed number and a scam (as I suspected). But 3 calls so far - and it's only 1pm. The first one was at 6am!!!!

Very annoying.

My pet peeve of the day - Robocalls.

So far today my home phone has received 14 robocalls. My cell phone, 3.
The home phone is not a big deal - we have it forwarded to google voice... most of the calls are for solar panel sellers and something in spanish that I don't understand (nor does google voice.)

The cell phone one is more annoying - it's a canned message saying I'm being sued by the IRS and to call them back immediately to resolve it. A quick google shows it's a spoofed number and a scam (as I suspected). But 3 calls so far - and it's only 1pm. The first one was at 6am!!!!

Very annoying.

I just got one from someone from the Windows Technical Support about a problem with my windows computer. I've been a Mac guy for years. Anyway, I had heard if this scam before and was going to just hang up...but I lost control and went on a cussing rampage into the phone at a louder volume than I usually speak. And I don't normally cuss...don't know what came over me!

I just got one from someone from the Windows Technical Support about a problem with my windows computer. I've been a Mac guy for years. Anyway, I had heard if this scam before and was going to just hang up...but I lost control and went on a cussing rampage into the phone at a louder volume than I usually speak. And I don't normally cuss...don't know what came over me!

Next time don't get mad, get even, and entertain yourself while doing so. Do this, the guy keep the scammer on the phone for 15 minutes:

I just got one from someone from the Windows Technical Support about a problem with my windows computer. I've been a Mac guy for years.

I got one a while back informing me that 'their' records show that my house furnace had not been checked and adjusted on a timely basis. If I did not have this done very soon, as a licensed contractor they would 'have to report me to the Fire Marshal' or risk losing their license.

I have electric heating.

Next time don't get mad, get even, and entertain yourself while doing so. Do this, the guy keep the scammer on the phone for 15 minutes:

I had a guy call me the other day telling me my PC was infected. I kept him on the line for about 10 minutes, just playing along.

When I get a call from an obvious donor request and they say: "hello, Marko!...", I say "wait a minute, let me get him". Then I put the phone down and come back in 20 minutes (or when I hear the phone beeping)

When I get a call from an obvious donor request and they say: "hello, Marko!...", I say "wait a minute, let me get him". Then I put the phone down and come back in 20 minutes (or when I hear the phone beeping)
I may use that with the next round of political harassment calls begin.

My son had a allergy to milk, corn and chocolate, it never stopped him from the Halloween experience. He understood the circumstances of eating candy with the above allergens, so it was promptly traded for the home made candy she had waiting. No exasperated kid, neighbors, or parents.

Just a wonderful celiac wife, mother who did what she had to do to make it all work out.

Web sites that sell a product or service but make it very hard to find out how much it costs.

I may use that with the next round of political harassment calls begin.

Reminds me, I need to figure out how to get an mp3 of Slim Whittman music, to put the telemarketers on hold, might work like on Mars Attacks :LOL:

More of an eye roll than a pet peeve but like some of you I visit other sites.

When people post under the guise of "looking for advice"but are clearly bragging. Real examples:

From a car forum:
"Oh my DH just bought me a Bentley how do I handle people asking me how much it cost"?

From a fashion forum:

"I feel so awkward when I take out my black American Express card because everyone knows you have to be very wealthy to get one, how do I handle the stares"?

Same forum:

"Ugh! I'm not trying to brag but I'm very beautiful and just so over old men trying to hit on me what should I do"?

Then well meaning people post with the intent to help allowing the OP way more mileage out of the thread than needed lol.

My pet peeve of the day is when folks who really should be at home but show up sick at w*rk. Case in point, saw the cashier at the grocery store cough in his hands a few times then into his shirt to prevent coughing in open air. All the while ringing up the groceries, handling the items through the conveyor belt and cart.

Probably in my mind, but now I feel a tickle in my throat :blush:.

My pet peeve of the day is my DH's inattention to his housecleaning. I have been sick and in bed (pneumonia-it was bad!) since Saturday until Wednesday, so the last couple of days as I sat a little less wilted, I've been a nag about housework and DH did some straightening up. I am cleaning the kitchen this morning and sat down at our kitchen desk for a moment (which also needs decluttering.) At the front edge of the desk is a single "Smartie" candy, which DS probably dropped somewhere in the kitchen or family room. Someone had picked it up and placed it on the desk, directly over the trash bin under the desk. DS has been out of town this week, so I know the culprit.:nonono:

EWG, glad you are feeling a bit better! And yes, totally sympathize!

DH famously, a few years ago, in a sudden spurt of helpfulness, asked me innocently "so do we have one of those things, you know, those things you use to clean the toilet?"
Once I replied in the affirmative and realized the implications in a 20+ marriage of those words, I swore as God as my witness that I would never clean a toilet again.

At the front edge of the desk is a single "Smartie" candy, which DS probably dropped somewhere in the kitchen or family room. Someone had picked it up and placed it on the desk, directly over the trash bin under the desk.

Ha, yes, I hear ya! The plastic ring off the milk cap set on the counter right over the trash can. Or empty envelopes from opened mail, or the empty tea box or vitamin bottle. Or the clean utensils set on the breadboard (which BTW is left covered in crumbs) right over the drawer where they go. Need we discuss open cupboard doors?

To DBF's credit, he's Johnny-on-the-spot when the cat yacks up a hairball. Does a good job, too, with the pet spotter spray and the little green machine.

Last edited:
Ha, yes, I hear ya! The plastic ring off the milk cap set on the counter right over the trash can.
Here it is the gum wrappers--"it's in your hand already, put it in the trash. Are we keeping it because we might need to keep to re-wrap the gum in the future? " But I'm guilty of far more flagrant housekeeping offenses, so I've got no room to talk.

My pet peeve of the day is when folks who really should be at home but show up sick at w*rk. Case in point, saw the cashier at the grocery store cough in his hands a few times then into his shirt to prevent coughing in open air. All the while ringing up the groceries, handling the items through the conveyor belt and cart.

Probably in my mind, but now I feel a tickle in my throat :blush:.

Those low end jobs don't offer sick days. You call in, you lose your job. At my previous employer, on your 4th call in you got your review pushed back 6 months, 5th resulted in review pushed back additional 6 months, 6th you got a meeting with department head and company manager, 7th you were fired. If you got 5 in one year then the next year your review was pushed back 6 months on your 3rd call in, meeting after 4th, and fired after 5th call in. You either work sick or lose your job.

Laborers who do not show up for an appointment , I stayed home Thursday to wait for a painter to give me an estimate . No one called or showed up .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom