Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2015, 09:24 AM   #901
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Another alternative:
When I used to run past a couple of annoying dogs, I carried one of these ultrasonic transmitters and used it to good effect. The dogs just stop charging and stay out of your way.

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Dazer-II-U.../dp/B000IBRI2Y
I'd like one of these with a 100 foot range.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #902
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
ouuuuu! Never knew there was such a thing. Mind racing on applications!
If you have trouble with geese coming and sh!ting on your lawn this might be just the thing to get them to mosey on to the neighbors lawn. perhaos for ducks too.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #903
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If you have trouble with geese coming and sh!ting on your lawn this might be just the thing to get them to mosey on to the neighbors lawn. perhaps for ducks too.
Yea, they hate water.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #904
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
DW will tell you I have way too many "peeves" to narrow it down to just one "pet." But, today's "pet" is really-stupid "smart lights." ....
We don't have near the traffic that you have but we have a number of intersections where they have gone to rotarys/roundabouts and those seem to work very well.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #905
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
I agree. My wife had a severe ankle break with 2 operations due to off-leashed dog.

That's awful. Sorry to read that happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #906
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Phone etiquette.

Someone calls *me*.

I answer and say "Hello?"

And at the other end I get "Hello"

Ummm....you called ME - who are you?

Shouldn't the caller ID themselves after you say Hello?

Or how about the person who calls you then says "who is this" when you answer?

Old 09-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #907
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
ouuuuu! Never knew there was such a thing. Mind racing on applications!
You'll love this one then.

Real-Life Sentry Guns for Sale - Home
Old 09-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #908
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve of the day is being treated like a thief walking out of Walmart by security.

My exercise equipment broke so I went to Wally Word to buy some dumbells. As I'm leaving I get stopped with security questioning the dumbells in my cart. She looks at my receipt and says, the receipt only shows 4 of them but you have six? In otherwords, she implies that I tried to steal them. I go, I don't know, maybe the cashier didn't ring those up? Then she asks if I have another receipt. I tell her no. Then she looks at the receipt closer, the light bulb turns on. 'Oh, two of them are called "free weights", they aren't the same?' That would have been the first thing I'd check since the weights are different color and material than the dumbells .

No fun being considered guilty until proven innocent.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #909
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My pet peeve of the day is being treated like a thief walking out of Walmart by security.
I especially worry about this when I bring items into a store. I often stop by the customer service desk and tell them what I'm bringing in (sometimes they'll tag it), or at least hold it out in plain sight so the security camera at the entrance can record that I brought it in.
If stopped on the way out by a security person, I comply with instructions but immediately ask to have the manager present if the questions go beyond asking to see a receipt.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #910
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I especially worry about this when I bring items into a store. I often stop by the customer service desk and tell them what I'm bringing in (sometimes they'll tag it), or at least hold it out in plain sight so the security camera at the entrance can record that I brought it in.
If stopped on the way out by a security person, I comply with instructions but immediately ask to have the manager present if the questions go beyond asking to see a receipt.
In my situation, the irony is the cashier asked me to place the weights into my cart, since they were too heavy. I bet if the security person didn't discover her mistake in reading the receipt, the cashier would've probably forgot and too accused me of stealing. At the very least, Wally World needs a sticker system like when buying a gallon of milk at a grocery store gets a sticker indicating "Okay, this gallon of milk wasn't stolen buy the non-trusted customer" .
Old 09-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #911

Saying "Astrology" instead of "Astronomy"
Old 09-16-2015, 02:51 PM   #912

Speaking of Walmart.....Yesterday (and today).....

There are 7 super Walmart's within a 15 mile radius of our house.

Yesterday, I go online and order a $200 barbecue grill (to catch a sale price) for a birthday gift for a family member. I chose "store pickup" as the store I picked showed the grill was in inventory. All is good (so far).

Next, I don't get a "ready for pick up" e-mail as I am supposed to....for 4 hours. So I call the store and ask what's up?

First woman I speak with puts me on indefinite hold....after 10 minutes I call back. Get her again and she said she had talked to the Manager and that they had none of the grills in inventory. I ask to speak with the Manager, but obviously could not, so I speak with another person who is English language challenged. Somehow, I decipher that the item number of the grill online is not the real store item number in the store computer's inventory. So I ask if they have the item or not...............apparently, they don't know. She asked if I could come to the store to look for it in the garden shop area.

While I am pondering what to do, I get an e-mail saying the grill is ordered online and will be delivered at some future date. I proptly cancel the online order which I did not initiate. I print out the cancellation confirmation.

So I go to the Walmart and there are several in stock on the back shelf. I just buy it and leave.

All is good.............right? (you would think so)

This afternoon, I get another e-mail from (guess who)....right...Walmart saying my online order for the grill is processed and will be delivered in (some future date range). I try to cancel....I can't!

I also notice IT IS A DIFFERENT ORDER NUMBER THAN THE ONE I CANCELLED ALREADY.

So I call WM customer service and explain what is going on. Apparently, the store thought I should have that grill and placed anther order after I cancelled the first one that I did not order for future delivery. Now my credit card has various pending charges for three grills and I have one here. I have no idea what will happen next, but I probably should notify the CC company and explain why I will only pay for one grill.

I don't think I could even make this stuff up!
Old 09-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #913

Pier1 store. My current peeve.

This morning on the way to skating I stopped in the store where DW bought some stuff a few days ago to return per her request, as she decided the stuff was not a good fit with other decor.

At the courtesy counter a woman says, can I help you. I place the stuff on the counter and say that DW wishes to return these. Another woman takes the stuff, examines it then looks at the receipt. Then she says, we have not had a cash sale this morning, so we can not give you back cash, but offered store credit, which I declined (per instructions of DW). Then the presumed manager steps up and she say the only thing she can do is have a corporate check mailed to our address.

I say OK, do it. E ven though the original purchase was for cash. Now they want the home number, I tell them, and magically the 'puter comes up with DW's name and our home address. The number is under DW's name. She does some typing, then asks me for the home address. I am getting a bit peeved and tell her you just read it to me 5 seconds ago. She claims it did not transfer to the new screen. I rattle off the address, she does no typing, now I know the previous story was BS.

Prints out a return slip, asks me to sign it. I do. She says it is not the same surname as DW's. I patiently explain the we do go by different names, nothing really unusual.

I tell them bye, and exit the store. The upshot from the transaction is:

1. They will never ever see me as a customer.
2. DW will stop in there in a few days to explain in her charming manner how badly they mishandled the return.
3. Corporate will get a charmingly POd letter explaining that they are now permanently her prime $hit list.
4. Pier1 lost her as customer forever.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #914
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Saying "Astrology" instead of "Astronomy"

What if they actually mean astrology?

Old 09-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #915
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
What if they actually mean astrology?
Aries can be so petulant.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:20 PM   #916
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Aries can be so petulant.

I wouldn't know; I'm not an Aries.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:46 AM   #917

My pet peeve? My pet peeve?
My dentist calls three days in a row reminding me of an appointment. Then four emails. "If you are not on time we will cancel your appointment". After 15 years, you'd think they'd know I've never been late!

THEN I get there and have to wait 25 minutes. Was just getting up to leave when I was called in.

Last time, I flipped out at them on their little "how can we do better?" email survey afterwards. Actually got an apology call from the dentist himself!

Have an appointment this week. I plan to call them with a "just checking-in to make sure that I'll be taken on time".
Old 09-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #918

This peeve is from the *nothing better to worry about* box. I can't stand the new golfers who land the ball on the green well behind the pin and use backspin to have it roll back next to the cup, ready for the tap-in birdie. Maybe I'm just envious of their immense skill ! And no doubt their caddies have all the greens laid out topographically on their ipads for quick analysis prior to the shot. Why can't they just land it in front of the pin and have it roll forward toward the cup, like real golfers do? Noooo, they have to be showoffs.... I know, I know, I'm just envious.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #919
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Last time, I flipped out at them on their little "how can we do better?" email survey afterwards. Actually got an apology call from the dentist himself!
Never pi$$ off your dentist. They have a drill. Did you see Marathon Man?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marathon man.jpg (64.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-20-2015, 05:32 PM   #920

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Never pi$$ off your dentist. They have a drill. Did you see Marathon Man?
And you have hand to grab them where the hair is short, and gently exclaim: we won't hurt each other now, will we?