Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #1201

Haha, samclem, that reminds me of a buddy of my DH's, who shared an email account with his wife. The guys all played poker together, and would use email to set up the next game.

Also, having the brain power and judgment of 12 year old boys, they would also send inappropriate things via email to each other. And thus the rest of them received an email titled "dear poker people, do not send anything to this address ever again", which I still chuckle about, years later. He got his own email address.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #1202
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
Shared email addresses.
Wow you sure picked a hot one! I must admit that, if one of my contacts has a shared address, I just delete them from any lists, except maybe Christmas cards.

The reasons are more varied than I imagined! I have a lazy friend who lets his wife screen his mail. I just think it is the height of arrogance.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #1203

Coffee prices are up so of course the geniuses at marketing are shrinking the size of the coffee can while at the same time increasing the price. Once was 39 ounce can, then 34 ounce, then 33, now is down to 30 ounces.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:20 PM   #1204
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Certified Mail. I know, that safer and all, but a time waster.

Christmas season and I've been getting strangers ringing hoping I'd let them in the lobby. So, today I get a ringer and I just ignored. Well, this was a real person, the postman. So, I get one of those cards to say, pick up the certified mail at the post office. I got to the post office but the mailman isn't back from his route yet to I gotta try again in the morning. At least the line wasn't that long .
Old 12-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #1205
Give me a forum ...

OK.... just happened to me again....

When some software update CHANGES my homepage without my permission

This has been happening more lately... and I look to see if they are trying to do it when they ask me for an update as that is sneaky also... if you do not check this box in the middle of a paragraph we will change your settings... REALLY...
Old 12-10-2015, 08:11 AM   #1206

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Coffee prices are up so of course the geniuses at marketing are shrinking the size of the coffee can while at the same time increasing the price. Once was 39 ounce can, then 34 ounce, then 33, now is down to 30 ounces.
Ah! I have found some satisfaction. Price-Rite had their own version of the 34 ounce can, and for only $4.99 ! So I bought one and am hoping it is as good as the microsized overpriced stuff at the other stores.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:58 AM   #1207

A simple little landscape project around a new shed I had put in this fall. I just wanted some natural flagstone steps that match some similar stones this landscaper installed for me last year. They bring wrong color and wrong type. Why can't things go as planned?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #1208
Give me a forum ...

MIL recently died due to a lengthy illness. DW has 4 siblings. Since they all are aware that I manage our investments DIY style @ VG, several of them asked for my advice as to what to do with their 6 figure share of the inheritance. I told DW to tell them that she (we) were going to sell all stock/bonds in her part and park the cash in a savings account for further consideration at a later date. Also DW recommended that they read Bogleheads Guide to Investing.

As of today, none have taken any action on the inheritance and none has even purchased the book. Sorta what I expected.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #1209
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I told DW to tell them that she (we) were going to sell all stock/bonds in her part and park the cash in a savings account for further consideration at a later date...

As of today, none have taken any action on the inheritance ...
Actually that might be a positive. Having a bunch of cash sitting in an easily accessible savings account could be a "I wanna buy" temptation difficult for many to resist.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #1210
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday our internet, cable, and telephone went out. No big deal, happens a few times a year.

But Suddenlink doesn't have a status line phone number. So thousands of people call tech support to find out what's going on, and there are therefore hold times of over ten minutes.

Even when service is fine, users will call in to verify that problems they are having are local their own equipment.

All they'd have to do is have a dedicated "status line" with a message on it. It would answer with a recording "We are experiencing problems, and hope to have the system fixed by 10 AM" or "There are currently no system problems reported."
Old 12-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #1211
Recycles dryer sheets

Be careful what you wish for. I'd previously signed up with our electric provider for phone updates on outages. Yesterday I received no less than 20 calls saying that my power was out, then how long it would take, then telling me that power was restored. Best part? Power never went out!
Old 12-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #1212
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
All they'd have to do is have a dedicated "status line" with a message on it. It would answer with a recording "We are experiencing problems, and hope to have the system fixed by 10 AM" or "There are currently no system problems reported."
Update:

Because I'm a feedback-aholic, I sent an email to Suddenlink with my suggestion. I got a call back from someone there thanking me, and giving me a dedicated number to call if I have any future suggestions.

I really waste too much time sending feedback to companies.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #1213
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

But think of the karma you're building up!

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:04 AM   #1214
Recycles dryer sheets

Restaurants that serve salads with giant pieces of lettuce. I realize it looks pretty, but you look ridiculous trying to eat a salad that way. I love the arugula salad at Panera but they don't chop the arugula at all, they are whole leaves. It's aggravating.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-17-2015, 06:42 AM   #1215
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've cut way back. Every time I rented a car at Avis I'd get a 10 minute survey to fill out. I did it a few times, now I don't.

I think companies want to be seen as responsive to customers, so they put out these surveys. It's just marketing, I don't think they use the info. Lots of studies have shown that suggestion boxes in businesses actually reduce morale--people who put in a suggestion get mad when things don't change.

If a company wants my feedback as part of a genuine effort to improve their business, then they'll give me something valuable for my time used to provide feedback. That goes some distance to proving it's more than just window dressing and is really worth something to them.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #1216
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I've cut way back. Every time I rented a car at Avis I'd get a 10 minute survey to fill out. I did it a few times, now I don't.

I think companies want to be seen as responsive to customers, so they put out these surveys. It's just marketing, I don't think they use the info. Lots of studies have shown that suggestion boxes in businesses actually reduce morale--people who put in a suggestion get mad when things don't change.

If a company wants my feedback as part of a genuine effort to improve their business, then they'll give me something valuable for my time used to provide feedback. That goes some distance to proving it's more than just window dressing and is really worth something to them.
Yeah, several years ago there were a couple of chain restaurants that gave a free dessert or appetizer good at your next visit if you completed a phone survey concerning your latest dining experience. I think Chili's and Famous Dave's did this for a while. Now all you get is a "chance" to win something for completing the survey. Unless we are guaranteed to get something, why bother unless is was a bad experience.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:37 PM   #1217
Give me a forum ...

I used to routinely get surveys from the Wall Street Journal with a crisp $5 bill in them. The accompanying letter said something like "If you don't need this, perhaps it can brighten the day of a child you know."

That always made me feel good so I responded to their survey.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #1218
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard... I'm usually an fan but I tried to do my 2015 Roth conversion today and they wouldn't let me because I did a partial recharacterization of my 2014 Roth conversion back in March 2015. The rep said I couldn't do another Roth conversion until 2016. I'm pretty sure they have it wrong. We'll sort it out tomorrow
Old 12-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Vanguard... I'm usually an fan but I tried to do my 2015 Roth conversion today and they wouldn't let me because I did a partial recharacterization of my 2014 Roth conversion back in March 2015. The rep said I couldn't do another Roth conversion until 2016. I'm pretty sure they have it wrong. We'll sort it out tomorrow
I've been trying to transfer 2 rollover IRAs into my Vanguard account for almost a month now and they are dragging their feet. I guess they don't want my money. I've had Vanguard for my ROTH for 10 years without problem but this is really getting on my nerves. I guess Vanguard isn't ALWAYS good.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #1220
Give me a forum ...

What is your pet peeve of the day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I've been trying to transfer 2 rollover IRAs into my Vanguard account for almost a month now and they are dragging their feet. I guess they don't want my money. I've had Vanguard for my ROTH for 10 years without problem but this is really getting on my nerves. I guess Vanguard isn't ALWAYS good.

They are pitiful on that. In fact I renewed a CD until this January just so I could avoid the paperwork last year because it was the second rollover and I couldn't physically touch the money. Next month I can just get the check from bank and mail it to Vanguard and skip all that crap.
But their brokerage is worse. I had to call their desk to make a transaction today that any other brokerage would allow. They say they don't allow manual purchases of variable interest securities. Then I had to lay the phone down on the arm rest to let him read the highlights of the prospectus that I had practically memorized prior to calling. I would drop them but I fear more paperwork, and probably would have to sell my illiquids to do it, which I will not do as I worked too hard to get them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk