What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a really large theater available, they sat directly behind us!

Now why would you come in a theater and do that? We were sitting off center, so it wasn't like we had the best position anyway. People amaze me.

I'm sure there's some psychological explanation, like anchoring or herding behaviour.

Well I just saw this pet peeve thread. I have some:

People that back into parking spaces. Holds up traffic. And why is it that folks who back in seem to need to take 2-3 runs at the spot before "getting it right"? And then when they leave the spot, since they are not backing up, there are no taillights warning you someone is about to pull out. It seems more dangerous than simply pulling in.

A lot of corporate safety rules demand that you back into parking places. The thinking goes that at quitting time, you want to get the hell out of dodge, so you are in a hurry and are less aware of your surroundings.

Sadly, have recently concluded that an acquaintance is a pathological liar. I've never heard so many lies come out of the mouth of one adult. He can't even keep track of them, so his web of self-contradictions grows daily.

Unfortunately, I sit on the board of the organization that employs him. Each of us is getting new variations on every story/excuse he tells. Can't figure out if he thinks we are stupid.....or if there is something just flat-out WRONG with him, other than his preference for fiction over fact.

Well, maybe it's good that the whole board gets to see it. Now, what to do about it? Any suggestions?

:(

Terminate employment.

If my memory is correct (often an iffy assumption), then you are retired. If you are, then my suggestion would be to withdraw from that board since it does not sound like it is adding to your retirement peace and serenity.

Agree on all counts. The one thing that I could not deal with in a subordinate is a liar... when they say something is done or something is so you need to know they are being straight... being occasionally wrong or misunderstandings are fine but intentional mistruths just can't be dealt with. So it is time for the board to let him go and find someone else who is more reliable. If they can't and it continues to bother you, then you can resign from the board. Life it too short to put up with people like that if you have alternatives.

A lot of corporate safety rules demand that you back into parking places. The thinking goes that at quitting time, you want to get the hell out of dodge, so you are in a hurry and are less aware of your surroundings.

That reminds me of a story. I used to work for a mid-size mutual insurer. A new board member wryly observed that an unusual number of cars were parked backed in and suggested that was indicative of a workforce that was mostly more interested in getting home than getting to work. (He was right... the place was virtually abandoned after hours.)

Well I just saw this pet peeve thread. I have some:

People that back into parking spaces. Holds up traffic. And why is it that folks who back in seem to need to take 2-3 runs at the spot before "getting it right"? And then when they leave the spot, since they are not backing up, there are no taillights warning you someone is about to pull out. It seems more dangerous than simply pulling in.

I am one of those people. The reason is safety.

./.

Most of the time I try for a spot that I can just pull straight out of without any reverse gear at all. DW is very good at this because for a year or so her car didn't have a reverse gear. Well, not one that worked anyway.

Meadh-
I was referring to "perpendicular" parking such as is done in most parking lots. And I thought Walt made a nice defense of backing in. But I still maintain it is inefficient for people who are waiting for such "backers" to park, and for whom no brake or back-up lights warn that a car is about to enter the roadway. I find that pulling into the spot is more efficient and more considerate of other drivers.
Another one here that backs into perpendicular parking spaces, for all the reasons Walt describes.

Montecfo, I can assure you this inconveniences no other drivers, as I rarely back in when another car is behind me. In the few cases another car is there, I signal clearly. If they are so clueless as to not notice what I am doing and start to pull into the same spot I'm already backing into, I just move along and forget it. Parking lots are treacherous places, no need to add to life's frustrations.:)

Last edited:
Another one here that backs into perpendicular parking spaces, for all the reasons Walt describes.

Montecfo, I can assure you this inconveniences no other drivers, as I rarely back in when another car is behind me. In the few cases another car is there, I signal clearly. If they are so clueless as to not notice what I am doing and start to pull into the same spot I'm already backing into, I just move along and forget it. Parking lots are treacherous places, no need to add to life's frustrations.:)

And I'm in agreement with both Walt & MichaelB.

It's safer to back into a spot where the cars are not moving, than to back out of a spot and into some cross traffic that isn't so easy to see. And as I pull out, I inch forward until I have a clear view, giving any traffic that I might not see plenty of warning and space. I'm not going to just back out and rely on the other guy seeing my tail lights.

I recall this coming up before, and some professional drivers commented that you always try to pull into the less safe situation, and leave the backing up for the safer situation. Just makes sense.

Or as the Chowhound food/cooking site says in their video tips "YOU ARE DOING IT ALL WRONG!" :)

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=ELIGCGLqsYUc8

-ERD50

My pet peeve of a lifetime is bad grammar. I guess one could say I'm a grammar nazi. Here's what I mean:

Michael-
I appreciate the explanation! At least I am getting a better understanding of the logic.

But if you are, in fact, backing in and someone is behind you, I would suggest they are inconvenienced, since backing in does take more time.

It does not generally inconvenience me, as I tend to park in the first space I see.

Best,
M

It does not generally inconvenience me, as I tend to park in the first space I see.
I park away from the crowds, too. Not WAY out, just not as close as i possibly could. It's often possible to pull through and then have no backing up at all, it's less stressful, and parking "away from the pack" requires maybe an more 30 seconds to walk the extra distance (I can use the exercise).

Pet Peeve: Parking lot "vultures" who drive along and shadow shoppers as they leave a store hoping to get a really close parking space. When it happens I have fun with it: stop and tie my shoe, walk through the cars to the next aisle over, backtrack like I forgot something, etc.

Last edited:
That very much depends on where you live in suburbs most parking is offstreet in lots that surround the stores (as indeed in small towns). In my town the only place where parallel parking exists is the downtown which is small and also has a big parking garage. (Not used much since it used to be associated with a hospital, which moved elsewhere). Many small towns tend to have wide enough streets that angle parking also exists on the streets.

This is my experience as well. I can count on one hand the number of times I have parallel parked in the last 20 years.

My pet peeve happened again today. We went to see an early movie and no one was in the theater when we sat down. The movie was about to begin when two ladies came in. With a really large theater available, they sat directly behind us! Then they kicked our seats, talked, dug through their purses, and generally were distracting. After about 5 minutes, we moved about 8 seats over.

Now why would you come in a theater and do that? We were sitting off center, so it wasn't like we had the best position anyway. People amaze me.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Oh I hate that! It happens to me a lot, too. Last time I chose my seat specifically because I figured nobody would want to sit near me (very high, on the left) and sure enough a guy sat down right in front of me, then a few minutes later one sat down two seats to my side. Why:confused:

Oh I hate that! It happens to me a lot, too. Last time I chose my seat specifically because I figured nobody would want to sit near me (very high, on the left) and sure enough a guy sat down right in front of me, then a few minutes later one sat down two seats to my side. Why:confused:

Isn't that strange? I have finally started getting up and moving to a more vacant area.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

At many industrial plants, it's required for fast and orderly evacuation purposes in the event that is necessary.

Then why, oh why, do you persist in taking up the very seats that DW and I wanted so we have to take the second-best ones nearby?:LOL:

Thanks to all who offered suggestions re. my local liar. Ran out of space in some of the thanks I sent. Just want to say, I will see what the board does and, if nothing, I will depart. I have better things I could be doing.

One thing that does keep me there is that, if the board has to let him go, it will create upheaval in the organization because others don't know they are being conned or manipulated. If the board takes a stand against him, they will need support. If they don't, I am concerned about the welfare of some innocent people. Will have to "sit tight," wait, and see.

Thanks again for your counsel.

:(

Drivers who think they are doing you a favor by waving you into some situation in which you do not have the right of way. Confuses other drivers.

I once witnessed a very nasty accident caused by this. I was just over one car length away.

It is best for everybody to strictly follow traffic protocols.

I once witnessed a very nasty accident caused by this. I was just over one car length away.

It is best for everybody to strictly follow traffic protocols.

+1

In addition to being safer, it would also improve the flow of traffic and reduce frustration and confusion.

My pet peeve of the day is seems on more news stories, clicking on what looks like a video only brings up a slide show. Or the opposite where all I really want to do is read a story and a loud video automatically loads up.

My pet peeve of the day is seems on more news stories, clicking on what looks like a video only brings up a slide show. Or the opposite where all I really want to do is read a story and a loud video automatically loads up.

+1

I can't stand that. Some of the video sould be just delivered in print. Why wait for the video when I know how to read.

I get it for certain things where the video adds value, most don't.

My pet peeve is tv shows that show the ending at the beginning then say "2 days earlier" or" 2 months earlier" then start the show. Who thought up the idea to show the end at the start of the show? I significantly dislike that but it is happening more and more often. I don't get it.

My pet peeve of the day:
Windows 10 performed an "automatic update", now, at least 2 of my programs won't open..... error message....... .net framework 3.0 not found
Thanks again Microsoft.

The 30 second to 1 minute wait time for the computer to respond, at checkout lines. Customer swipes card, taps screen, waits, taps screen, the clerk and customer stare into their screens for another X seconds. Computers are supposed to make things faster, but it looks like they are making things as slow as the market will bear if it saves them a few cents per transaction. I always pay cash if it is allowed, and my wait time is whatever time it takes for the clerk to make change and give me the receipt.

Something that bugs me at the office is coworkers who burst into my cubicle and start talking at me in hyper-speed about some project detail. I don't even have time to close my browser, which inevitably shows this website, and pretend that I'm working on their project!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom