What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The grammar Nazi in me bristles at the misuse of few and less. No one knows anything about count and non-count nouns these days.
Good point, I agree we should have less of these. We still have farther to go when it comes to grammar usage.

The grammar Nazi in me bristles at the misuse of few and less. No one knows anything about count and non-count nouns these days.

Good point, I agree we should have less of these. We still have farther to go when it comes to grammar usage.

See? In less than half an hour.

Attachments

• why.jpg
    why.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 168
When I was on a car forum it used to get me when people would use break when they meant brake....

Meanings are not even close....

I haven't had a "peeve" in years.

That must be because I'm retired - :)

Doc says I just need to send in this stool sample once a year.

I've had the prostate checked numerous times. That irritates you ?

I'm too busy having fun to get upset?

I dunno.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was on a car forum it used to get me when people would use break when they meant brake....

Meanings are not even close....

Some of these can be blamed on autocorrect. I sent a Halloween package to my neighbors little girl and autocorrect kept changing Charlotte to Charlotteville

Doc says I just need to send in this stool sample once a year.

I've had the prostate checked numerous times. That irritates you ?

I'm too busy having fun to get upset?

I dunno.

You haven't had your prostrate checked properly by a urologist. When they lift you off the floor by yours it's not near as much fun as you might imagine.:D

Whoa...

Nah he didn't lift me off the floor - :(

Wegmans grocery store gets this correct. The express lines have signs that say "15 items or fewer"

I'll bet you get serious heartburn from the frequent incorrect use of the word "then" when it should be "than" by many members of this board. I see that error numerous times each day.

Then vs. Than: What's the Difference? - Writing Explained

Doesn't bother me at all. No, not at all. :)

DING DING DING!

I hesitated posting something like this waiting for somebody like a high altitude fuel supplier (gas passer, as he calls it) to post it.

BTW, ReWahoo, thank you for your service to our country, USA. God Bless America.

Something I have noticed recently and increasing in frequency.

Cars at a four way stop and has multiple vehicles in all 4 directions, people taking their turn as normal, when one inpatient SOB deicides to just run the stop sign and follow the car in front of it through the intersection so that two cars go through instead of the one. I guess that extra 45 seconds or less is really that important. :confused:
If this country was smart enough to use many roundabouts vs. time & gas wasting ss's, this issue would be greatly reduced. While I agree the driver is wrong, if multiple cars went each time - as roundabouts effectively create - traffic would flow better.

If this country was smart enough to use many roundabouts vs. time & gas wasting ss's, this issue would be greatly reduced. While I agree the driver is wrong, if multiple cars went each time - as roundabouts effectively create - traffic would flow better.

While I agree.
Most folks in this country have no idea what to do at a roundabout. I watched a person pull up to one, stop, signals and make a left turn!

People that think they have a god-given right to drive in the left lane 5 mph below the limit.

If they are passing someone going 10 under then they have the right to be there but if there is room to move to the right safely then they should do so.

While I agree.
Most folks in this country have no idea what to do at a roundabout. I watched a person pull up to one, stop, signals and make a left turn!
+1
We have a roundabout in my suburb. Not only is it a roundabout, but it is maybe 60 feet up in the air, with numerous feeders into and down from it, and it was built back in the 1960's I think. Also, the signage on it is terrible or non-existent. I avoid it whenever possible. People drive so unpredictably on it and I find that to be pretty terrifying.

Am I the only one peeved by the new app layout for this forum? Can we please go back to the old version??

+1
We have a roundabout in my suburb. Not only is it a roundabout, but it is maybe 60 feet up in the air, with numerous feeders into and down from it, and it was built back in the 1960's I think. Also, the signage on it is terrible or non-existent. I avoid it whenever possible. People drive so unpredictably on it and I find that to be pretty terrifying.

I hate roundabouts. The only roundabout I'd like if one had stoplights :cool:.

I hate that Microsoft is trying to get you to use Bing by putting a photo behind your login with links to get info on it. Slows down everything if you accidentally trigger the links.
Google doodles make me smile-their attempt doesn't.

Roundabouts are the quickest way for me to get lost in DC. If you don't know which road is your exit you are spit out of circle going who knows where.

If they are passing someone going 10 under then they have the right to be there but if there is room to move to the right safely then they should do so.
I thought I clearly meant the latter. Guess not.

While I agree.
Not a problem around here (PI). While there aren't many, now enough that almost all drivers have experienced a few.

Smart enough and educated enough. Roundabouts have been appearing in my area, and they'd be fine if folks would review the rules on them. For example, I have yet to see anyone use their turn signal upon exiting. Makes it difficult to keep things moving when drivers entering have to stop because they don't know if the approaching vehicle is going to exit or not.

Our small city recently got a few roundabouts. The first day they opened one of them, the newspaper got a picture of a car going the wrong way (how do you even do that??). Another roundabout generated a letter to the newspaper's "pet peeve" column when someone was stopping inside the circle at every single exit.

But the best was our first roundabout, which generated complaints from the neighborhood about all that loud honking late at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom