Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #1341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
And Thesus, am I worse than the guy with his signal on, and doesn't turn? ...
Well, since this is a pet-peeve thread, one of my pet peeves is when someone changes the subject when challenged.

Whether turning off a signal at a light is right or wrong has absolutely nothing to do with whether some other action is right/wrong/better/worse.

Changing the subject is a sure sign that you have nothing to stand on.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 09:07 PM   #1342
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
is happy holidays really that terrible ? It seems fine to me . I don't think they're really trying to challenge your observance of Christmas in this situation ....
The name of the federal national holiday observed on December 25 each year is Christmas Day so that's what I'm calling it.

Happy Holidays never used to bother me, but the increasing political correctness of society does, so I'm not going along with it.

Merry Christmas!!!

Old 12-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #1343
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
The name of the federal national holiday observed on December 25 each year is Christmas Day so that's what I'm calling it. ...

Merry Christmas!!!
You are correct!

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...days/#url=2015

And every February, I have to tell people that there is no such thing as 'President's Day'. It is still Washington's Birthday ('observed' - since they switched it to Mondays).

Maybe it's an Illinois thing, since Lincoln's birthday is in February, people think the move of Washington's birthday to the Monday was combined with Lincoln's birthday. But no.

And while I'm at it (though I'm sure it's been covered), it's a "water heater", not a "hot water heater".

-ERD50
Old 12-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #1344
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Well, since this is a pet-peeve thread, one of my pet peeves is when someone changes the subject when challenged.

Whether turning off a signal at a light is right or wrong has absolutely nothing to do with whether some other action is right/wrong/better/worse.

Changing the subject is a sure sign that you have nothing to stand on.

-ERD50
This is a thread about personal pet peeves, and I see you have one that others may or may not agree with, just like me.

I have not killed anybody, hit anybody, condoned or prevented anyone from using their turn signal, been ticketed for my use of a turn signal, run over a cyclist or had any vehicular accident in 40 years of operating a motor vehicle.

I am not looking for vindication of any kind, however, one other person on this thread, does the same as I. Perhaps you are the person that keeps pulling in front of me, leaves his turn signal on, and irritates me while stopped at a traffic light. Congratulations, I'm glad you can afford so many cars.

We can agree to disagree, I'm done with the matter.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:36 PM   #1345
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
is happy holidays really that terrible ? It seems fine to me . I don't think they're really trying to challenge your observance of Christmas in this situation

What confuses me is that "Happy Holidays" has been around for a long time, and it's only in the last 10-15 years that people decided it is a PC replacement for "Merry Christmas." Yes, it means "Happy whatever you celebrate." But it also means "Happy all the upcoming holidays." I use it beginning a week or so before Thanksgiving to mean everything through the new year. Saying "Happy Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year" seems clunky and unnecessary when I can just say "Happy Holidays."

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #1346
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
....We can agree to disagree...
Fine.... you and that one other person are in the minority on the issue and there is nothing in the law that supports your view.... but we can all have opinions and I respect your right to have yours.

That said, since the amber directionals bother you so much talk about it with your doc at your next eye exam and see what s/he says.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:25 AM   #1347
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
What confuses me is that "Happy Holidays" has been around for a long time, and it's only in the last 10-15 years that people decided it is a PC replacement for "Merry Christmas." Yes, it means "Happy whatever you celebrate." But it also means "Happy all the upcoming holidays." I use it beginning a week or so before Thanksgiving to mean everything through the new year. Saying "Happy Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year" seems clunky and unnecessary when I can just say "Happy Holidays."

Ditto--"Happy Holidays" for me was always shorthand for "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year". I don't mind if it covers a few more holidays in these modern times. If I want to call out a particular holiday, I just do. So Merry Christmas Eve, everyone!

We have some inlaws in the family now who celebrate holidays I'd never heard of and who celebrate some more traditional holidays a little differently, and it's been a lot of fun.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #1348
Recycles dryer sheets

Turn signals.....my DH believes they are similar to salt, and uses them sparingly. Which is why I never know if he is going to drive right by a turn or highway exit while he's busy talking. (See spousal annoyances thread for context.)

Oh look....I can use my DH's driving in both threads! Lucky me!
Old 12-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #1349

Reading about the pet peeves of others is entertaining and strangely reassuring. Let's hope it continues along the same good natured path that characterized the first thousand posts.

Wishing everyone Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, and a rant-free New Year with interesting peeves.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #1350
Give me a forum ...

I think peeves are like most other pets; they need to be fed, watered, and exercised regularly.

And due to the El Niño climate this year, I can only add

Old 12-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #1351
Give me a forum ...

Well, if one cannot rant about his pet peeves, what can he rant about?

And the thread mentioned earlier is this, in case someone missed it: Does your spouse annoy you in retirement?.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #1352
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a new swim spa, installed 8/21/25. I've been swimming regularly since September. Beautiful day today-70 degrees in PA. Got into the spa, goggles, earplugs, ready to go. Turned on the swim jet and it makes a noise but no jet. Pieces of black plastic spew on the bottom of the spa. So DH calls the company to leave a message, and the voice mail he got transferred to states she's done for the SEASON. No way to leave a message. I'm going to the retail store Monday. Aaarghhh!!!

Old 12-24-2015, 03:35 PM   #1353
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OK, back to pet peeves. How bout commercials finding new and insidious ways to slime you? Peeve 1: I went early to the movie theater today to make sure I got a good seat way in the back away from the slobs who prop their feet up on the chair in front of them (another peeve). I was 15 minutes early before the official start time (the time the trailers start). As I was walking in they already had commercials going, and I could not mute them, of course. These are the same ads you see on TV. Coke, cars, etc. The insidious part is that these commercials are framed in the same format as the *messages* from the theater. You get the big movie reel rolling around, and the wreath of stars rotating towards you, and some title like *Smith Theatre Megaplex welcomes you!* and then instead of getting something even remotely related to the movie, or the movie theater, what do you get? A regular ******* coke ad or a car ad. Just nauseating. Peeve 2 : Commercials inserted into the actual *content* of the program. Steven Colbert does this. He'll make some bit up about some product, hold the product up for all to see, riff on it for at least a minute, maybe more, and it isn't even funny. This must be a reaction from the advertisers to all those folks stripping the real commercials out via some technology.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #1354
Recycles dryer sheets

We recently opened a new can of coffee that was in what used to be a one pound can. Then they shrunk it to 13 oz., now 11.5 oz. One of these days you'll open a new can of coffee and all that will be in there is the smell. Maybe they'll include a picture.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:26 PM   #1355
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I have a new swim spa, installed 8/21/25. I've been swimming regularly since September. Beautiful day today-70 degrees in PA. Got into the spa, goggles, earplugs, ready to go. Turned on the swim jet and it makes a noise but no jet.
Hey, it's 90 years old; what do you expect?
Old 01-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #1356
Recycles dryer sheets

Thought of a new one yesterday: People who take their junk mail and shove it into the "outgoing" mail slot at community mail boxes. I worry my legitimate outgoing letter will get mistakenly tossed out with the junk mail people shove in there. I understand the urge to "stick it to the man" by rejecting the junk mail in a noticeable way, but you're risking screwing over your own neighbors. Just take it home and throw it in the recycling bin.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #1357
Give me a forum ...

Vendors who put their phone numbers in letters rather than numbers so I have to figure out how to translate them. I appreciate the vendors who do this but also put the translation in parentheses after the alpha version.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #1358
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't imagine nobody has brought this up already but it happened again today and I need to rant.
I belong to a gym and use the facilities several times a week. One thing I really hate is when I start to use a machine only to have someone run over and say "I was using that". Well no, you weren't. You were across the room doing something else. If you were using it, you would have been here. And no fair leaving a towel or water bottle to save your place either.

There, I feel better now.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #1359
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilkoot View Post
I can't imagine nobody has brought this up already but it happened again today and I need to rant.
I belong to a gym and use the facilities several times a week. One thing I really hate is when I start to use a machine only to have someone run over and say "I was using that". Well no, you weren't. You were across the room doing something else. If you were using it, you would have been here. And no fair leaving a towel or water bottle to save your place either.

There, I feel better now.
There is a thread on a site called cruise critic about "chair hogs" who put a towel or something to save a lounge for whenever they want it. Sounds like the same people LOL
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #1360
Give me a forum ...

Can you say "Yes, you were using it, but I am now. Then, when I am done, you will be using it again"?

But if you are like me, you probably want to, but do not say it.