What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pet peeve is people that think that because they have four wheel drive, they can defy the laws of physics. It is all great until they need to turn or brake. Then they are mere mortals again.

My pet peeve is people that think that because they have four wheel drive, they can defy the laws of physics. It is all great until they need to turn or brake. Then they are mere mortals again.

Yep, we ALL have 4 wheel brakes. The 4 wheel drive people are often surprised when they hit the brakes, and find that the increased 'going ability' doesn't translate to 'stopping ability'.

-ERD50

I love my Subaru's all wheel drive when i'm starting off from a snowy/slushy stoplight and i'm able to accelerate at the same rate as dry pavement while others are just spinning in place. It puts a smile on my face every time. However, you are right that turning and braking are the same as any other vehicle. I realize this but, clearly, many others do not.

BTW here is one case where an old computer term applies: Read the manual (there is usually an expletive before the word manual also)

My pet peeve is the manufacturer NOT including an expletiving manual with the product. Those hypocrites are happy to preen green about how many trees they are saving, while simply dumping on the buyer the task of printing out the instructions on 8.5x11" printer paper. Not to mention that even to get to the manual online they run you through a gauntlet of privacy-invading questions so they can bombard you with spam for the rest of eternity.

Grrr. <deep breath> Okay, I feel better now. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

My pet peeve is the manufacturer NOT including an expletiving manual with the product. Those hypocrites are happy to preen green about how many trees they are saving, while simply dumping on the buyer the task of printing out the instructions on 8.5x11" printer paper. Not to mention that even to get to the manual online they run you through a gauntlet of privacy-invading questions so they can bombard you with spam for the rest of eternity.

Grrr. <deep breath> Okay, I feel better now. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

You don't have to print the manual. You can usually save it as a PDF. If really necessary, you can print the relevant page(s). I would much rather have it this way than have to store those huge boxes that software came in. I had Microsoft Office Professional when it weighed half a ton!

People who drive down the road with their car flashers on at the first sign of any weather. What are they trying to tell us? Yeah, I can see you but I could see you without your flashers on. I don't get it.

People who think that the cool thing to do over the holidays, is get rip roaring drunk and drive like a lunatic, endangering others' lives. :rant:

No matter how many our local law enforcement stops and tickets, there are always more out there. :fingerwag:

Boy, 1677 pet peeves so far this this year. Bunch of cranky old coots. ��

In all fairness, it's closer to three years. Only about 1.7 peeves per day. :cool:

But yes, I agree with your assessment. Fortunately, nobody has stepped on my lawn today. :LOL:

You don't have to print the manual. You can usually save it as a PDF. If really necessary, you can print the relevant page(s).

Re-offering the same unsatisfactory solution does not make it satisfactory. You would still require me to endure the interrogation and subject myself to the eternal spam. And suppose the device you saved your pdf on is the one that isn't working?

All I wanted was an instruction booklet. Printed. On paper. So when the power goes out I can still read it by the light of my kerosene lantern. In my Unabomber shack, where I hunt squirrels with flint-tipped arrows and live off grubs and berries (because I'm not a good shot with flint-tipped arrows).

Seriously, however, thank you for your charitable response. You've inspired a thought that I find intriguing. As I wind toward RE, I am trying to make life simpler, not just find ways to get around its complications. Those are two entirely different perspectives. I wonder how many people on this board lean toward more one way than the other? Rather than hijack this thread I'll try to start a new one... assuming I can find the instructions.:D

In all fairness, it's closer to three years. Only about 1.7 peeves per day. :cool:

But yes, I agree with your assessment. Fortunately, nobody has stepped on my lawn today. :LOL:

No one has stepped on mine either but that might be related to the (pet peeve alert).... mound of ice and snow the snow plow has piled up on my newly shoveled walk. If you can't get to the walk, you can't get to the lawn. :mad:

Don't you hate it when an app you use frequently decides to "update" itself and removes some of the most useful features?
Amazon video on Roku recently "updated" and now there is no progress bar on the episodes so you can't tell which one you last watched. The progress bar was a real useful feature when you binge out on different series for a day or so but don't come back for a few days. It's hard enough trying to remember whether it's on Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon!

My iMac kept reminding me to restart so that my updates could be installed. Yeah, that happens occasionally and it's usually uneventful.

On Wed. morning I restarted to install updates and upon restart my USB wired keyboard doesn't work! I use a wired keyboard instead of the wireless bluetooth one because I find the number pad essential. I do all the unplug/replug/restart/turn off/turn on stuff and nothing works. Finally I reconnected with the bluetooth keyboard so I could search for a solution.

Now, I've had this issue of the keyboard not working after an update before and searched for a fix and solved it. But darn it, I'm 61 and don't remember what the solution was last time. Anyways, the fix this time was different and now I've written it down!

Here's another pet peeve that I'm sure many of us encounter.....the darn laundry detergent caps with the markings that are absolutely unreadable! We get the same liquid detergent every time. I use a marker to make the almost useless markings show up and then I keep the cup (if DH doesn't toss it out). We have a collection of 6 different cups because they keep changing them and the old ones don't fit the new container. And still, the markings are unreadable. My solution, measure out in ounces what a average load (per the label) should take and mark that on the cap. Then I make a 2nd mark for a larger load.

If they go through the trouble to redesign those caps, why can't they make the markings readable?

Proud to have first world problems to be peeved about.

People who think that the cool thing to do over the holidays, is get rip roaring drunk and drive like a lunatic, endangering others' lives. :rant:..............

Absolute waste of alcohol. Better to drive like a lunatic, then get rip roaring drunk.

I have not found a pet peeve infraction in months. I maust be getting too mellow lately.

Just came from the grocery store so I'm going to say people that go grocery shopping and think they're the only ones there. Is it possible many of these people shop only once a year just before Christmas and are completely oblivious to everyone else around them?? The best is when you have a couple or family that manages to block the entire isle by looking at both sides of the isle and then parking their cart in the middle. The fun continued all the way to the end of my shopping trip with someone with a packed cart using the 15 or less items self-checkout. It all makes me very grinchy.

Boy, 1677 pet peeves so far this this year. Bunch of cranky old coots. ��

Also, in all fairness.... not all posts are a pet peeve.... and some are just comments on the peeve itself...

I bet if you went through the whole post there probably is less than 500 unique pet peeves listed...

Also, in all fairness.... not all posts are a pet peeve.... and some are just comments on the peeve itself...

I bet if you went through the whole post there probably is less than 500 unique pet peeves listed...
Valid point. Still seems like a pretty cranky bunch of people. I try not to let the small stuff bother me. Not always successful but I try. But please go ahead-don't let me spoil your peevishness.

Last edited:
Damn the peeves, full speed ahead!

Exactly. This is one of the advantages of being retired, having enough free time to gripe, moan and complain about things that we otherwise wouldn't give much thought to.

All I wanted was an instruction booklet. Printed. On paper. So when the power goes out I can still read it by the light of my kerosene lantern. In my Unabomber shack, where I hunt squirrels with flint-tipped arrows and live off grubs and berries (because I'm not a good shot with flint-tipped arrows)

You just need more practice.
The arrow whispered through the air, struck the deer behind its shoulder, and the flint arrowhead buried deep into the chest cavity for a fatal shot.

An 18th--Century wilderness tale by James Fennimore Cooper? No, it’s a story about a 21st-Century hunter using the same type of primitive projectile point that has been used for eons – from prehistoric nomads to Native Americans.
Lebanon Democrat: Bow hunter takes deer with flint arrowhead

You don't have to print the manual. You can usually save it as a PDF. If really necessary, you can print the relevant page(s). I would much rather have it this way than have to store those huge boxes that software came in. I had Microsoft Office Professional when it weighed half a ton!

There's advantages to electronic docs. Updates are a big deal. However when I did a lot of development, there's nothing like paper. Why? Easy, all the important pages become coffee stained, leaving visual clues to the importance of each section.

I can remember telling another guy who asked about some doc, "I don't remember the page number but what your looking for in in the second bunch of coffee stained pages".:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom