What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This used to irritate me as well. Then I read the book Traffic and realized they're doing it correctly and most efficiently using the available pavement.

I agree. The most efficient way is to use both available lanes and merge via the zipper method at the end.

The only problem with the zipper merge (and I am on team zipper 100 percent) is when the state highway department post big signs on their Interstates in construction areas that say "Merge now!" complete with exclamation marks, a mile or so before the actual merge point. I'm thinking those states don't want the zipper. So we merge when those signs tell us to.

You're walking up to an empty intersection. A lone car pulls up to the stop sign and has plenty of time to take off and get out of your way. But he/she wants to just sit there for 20 seconds while you amble up, so he/she can politely wave you through the intersection as he/she watches you walk through the crosswalk. What's up with that? Guess I'm just ungrateful or something.

You obviously don't live in California. Peds have the right of way and that's one hell of a fine if you don't let them cross and wait until they step onto the curb on the other side.

How about when someone calls, and without asking, "Are you busy right now?" or "Do you have a few minutes to chat?" they launch into a 20, 30, 45 minute monologue on whatever comes to their mind. Then it's, "Oh, well I should let you go now", but they don't! They just start talking again! I'll usually put it on speakerphone and continue making dinner or giving CPR or whatever I was doing. But aarrgghh! As an introvert with a prepay phone plan, I resent having my minutes chewed up this way.

Is my mom calling you, too?

Yep, and I just wish they would post signs to that effect, so people like RetiredGypsy don't get mad at us for doing it correctly!

If you think about it for a second (this is the "Thinking, Fast and Slow" concept/book I've talked about before), it makes perfect sense. Why would you have a section of roadway, and not let people use it? It is just a wasted resource, causing more traffic backup. If they wanted you to merge way back there, they would have put the gate way back there!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking,_Fast_and_Slow

OK, RetiredGypsy , now that you know better, please stop getting mad at us, and tell ten friends, and tell them to tell ten friends!

Oh, and maybe an apology is in order for the "rectal-cranial inversion" crack against your fellow er.org members? Hmmmm?

-ERD50

I'm not talking about the zipper method. I'm a huge fan of the zipper method. I've been using it since before I had a driver's license as a lowly recruit in boot camp. The zipper merge is efficient, and kinda cool to watch the coordination. I don't care that people in the closing lane are getting ahead of people in the continuing lane; that'd be extremely hypocritical of me as someone who used splitting lanes in California on my motorcycle to its full advantage.

... they wait until the last second to try and squeeze in.

I mean they wait until their mirror is hugging the traffic cones and try to push into the front of the line because they're too important to wait. That behavior I see as no different than those who jump out into the next lane and gun it while weaving through traffic to make sure they're the first one to the onramp/intersection/next red light/etc. Or the people who go through the continuing lane until the last second and then suddenly try to cut into the front of a turn lane.

So unless that pertains to anyone in particular, the "rectal-cranial inversion" crack doesn't apply. :flowers:

Real estate web pages that want me to register before I can look at details about properties. They always seem to want name/email/phone number; I'm just in the "wondering" stage* and don't want to be bothered with follow-up calls or emails.

* We are nearing the end of depreciation on a rental property, and I'm exploring the idea of doing a 1031 exchange for a property on the Outer Banks. There's a lot of research to do before looking at properties.

Here's my pet peeve of the day:
There's some sports show in the late afternoon on TV and they have a series of the most ridiculous questions like "Do you question if the Falcons should have won?" or "Do you question if Tiger should have withdrawn" or "Do you question if golf should be played in the rain?"

It's an interesting ploy to imply controversy--or create discussion-- on what is merely a news item but I find it sooo annoying. Maybe it's the poor use of the word "question" instead of "wonder", but the posits are so stupid to begin with.

Snowbirding in FL we eat out a lot and this show is on in a lot of places we frequent so it's hard to avoid. Plus, the three stooges on the show (especially the old guy in the middle) all look stoned out of their minds most of the time. "Do you question why this show is even on TV?"

Here's my pet peeve of the day:
There's some sports show in the late afternoon on TV and they have a series of the most ridiculous questions like "Do you question if the Falcons should have won?" or "Do you question if Tiger should have withdrawn" or "Do you question if golf should be played in the rain?"

It's an interesting ploy to imply controversy--

Sadly, it sounds a lot like the political "news" of the day, also.:(:(:(

"Speaks to" where one should use "talks about" or "refers to". As in "I've looked through quite a few posts on websites, but was not able to find anything that speaks to this." This horrible (mis)usage popped up in academia a few years ago, and then oozed on over into politi-babble used by pundits on TV.

It drives me nuts when old people say, I am nn years *young*.

Last edited:
The over use of "excuse me" is a peeve of mine. For example, when I'm going into the restroom and someone is coming out and we're not even close to bumping into or cutting each other off, yet she has to say, "Excuse me". .....

This happens to me sometimes, and is usually followed with a "the men's washroom is over there" :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Magazines that send you a "reup" letter(s) several months before your subscription runs out.

Magazine subscriptions are one of the few things I buy with a paper check. I make a note in the register when the subscription runs out (I've gotten re-up notices 12 mos early!). Plus, if I pay with CC, often there's a hidden "automatic re-subscribe at our 'normal' outrageous rate that nobody really pays" clause.

Magazine subscriptions are one of the few things I buy with a paper check. I make a note in the register when the subscription runs out (I've gotten re-up notices 12 mos early!). Plus, if I pay with CC, often there's a hidden "automatic re-subscribe at our 'normal' outrageous rate that nobody really pays" clause.

+1
Although occasionally I'll use a CC if I have one that is close to its expiration date.

I do the same because of the hidden clause. DW just got re-upped on one she gets due to that trick. She has to call to cancel. PIA

OH WOW...... YES...

My mom is 97... and she keeps getting mail to reup even after she has just done so!!! She has one magazine that she has paid for up to the end of 2019....

I have tried restricting her mail, but she opens a few up now and then and still sends them a check... at least it is not costing us a lot...

OH WOW...... YES...

My mom is 97... and she keeps getting mail to reup even after she has just done so!!! She has one magazine that she has paid for up to the end of 2019....

I have tried restricting her mail, but she opens a few up now and then and still sends them a check... at least it is not costing us a lot...

Plus she gets to read the magazines. :D

Magazine renewal 'bills' that tell you you are overdue :facepalm:. No, my payment is not overdue, I just don't want your dumb magazine.

OH WOW...... YES...

Sounds like your Mom is just positive thinking, she has the magazine set for delivery up to 100!

A pet peeve of mine:

When a person hocks a loogie while at the same time is also urinating in public.

You're a single tasker. Some are multi-taskers. If you ask he can probably play a tune for you too.;)

We have this engineering term called "multi-output systems".

I cheat, and make a casserole version of that. Layers of shredded cabbage, browned pork-sausage/beef mix with rice and tomato sauce. Bake, add cheese topping at the end.

It's not traditional, but it tastes good. If someone wants to take the time and do all that rolling, I'll eat it!

-ERD50

If it has the same ingredients, then of course the taste will be the same. However, the presentation is important too.

Nobody has served me "unrolled" golabki, so I do not know if I would elevate it to a pet peeve (to stay in the thread topic).

Well, I guess one can call it a new dish, a Polish lasagna or something.

PS. I have not had golabki for a while. Will put it in the menu for some time next week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom