What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow.... one just came up right now...

This peeve is with Amazon!!! I was looking at my CC purchases and it seemed like we had bought some items with Amazon... so I decided to take a look and see what the charges matched up to...

Well, to my surprise... one charge for $107 did not match anything.... it has a tag of 'Amazon Prime Membership'.... but I am not a member, have never signed up to be one and when I check it says I am not one...

So, a simple call to Amazon will fix the problem.... yes, a simple call... a... simple... CALL.... EXCEPT Amazon does not have ANY contact info to call them... and I cannot send them any kind of email since they do not show this as a purchase!!! What kind of company exists that DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO CALL THEM!!!

BTW, I was going to put this down a few weeks ago, but never did...

The ads on the internet... and the pervasive cookies and tracking they do...

As an example... the person who is putting in a new AC and ducts... they had an AC brand I had not heard of before... so I did a search on my computer.... no big deal...

BUT, at night I get on my tablet to read a few news article and what pops up... yes, and ad for that AC brand!!! I did not search on my tablet, so how did they know to send and ad to it!!!

Man... I hate the intrusive nature of the web...

Wow.... one just came up right now...

This peeve is with Amazon!!! I was looking at my CC purchases and it seemed like we had bought some items with Amazon... so I decided to take a look and see what the charges matched up to...

Well, to my surprise... one charge for $107 did not match anything.... it has a tag of 'Amazon Prime Membership'.... but I am not a member, have never signed up to be one and when I check it says I am not one...

So, a simple call to Amazon will fix the problem.... yes, a simple call... a... simple... CALL.... EXCEPT Amazon does not have ANY contact info to call them... and I cannot send them any kind of email since they do not show this as a purchase!!! What kind of company exists that DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO CALL THEM!!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us?ie=UTF8&nodeId=508510&ref_=hp_gt_comp_cu&#b

That should get you to the contact them page. Click through the options about what you want, and you can have them call you, or you can call them.

Well, they do allow you to call them but admittedly it takes some serious digging - someone else on the forum found this and I bookmarked it.

Amazon.com Live Customer Service Live Customer Service Person

866-216-1072

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us?ie=UTF8&nodeId=508510&ref_=hp_gt_comp_cu&#b

That should get you to the contact them page. Click through the options about what you want, and you can have them call you, or you can call them.

Thanks... I was there... but could not get any number to come up...

It should be easy to find a contact number, not a long drawn out process...

Another peeve with Amazon... I am trying to return a defective product with a 3rd party vendor... but all they did was send me a second defective product... I have been trying to get my money back, but they seem bound and determined to keep a whole $10 plus tax....

What is your pet peeve of the day ?

People who stand in front of you in line at the cashier for 5 minutes and wait until their purchases are rung through the till and THEN realize they have to pay for them and spend an hour digging through their purse/wallet looking for payment.

:facepalm:

All the celebrity females bare bellied preggo pics.

Another is 1-888-280-4331.

Thanks guys... I finally got the drop down info needed and got a call from them...

Seems DW has her own account with Amazon (did not know) and she clicked on a two day delivery option not knowing she was buying PRIME...

Got the money back... but it has been a long process....

And NOW, I am calling up Discover to remove the dispute I filed :facepalm: I still have 8 minutes to wait :mad:.... so at least one hour to fix a problem that DW should never have created....

Companies that you once had business with and you had given credit card information to subsequently billing you for no reason. And the fact that Visa states that there is no way to block a company that you had given said information to from billing you for no reason at anytime in the future. Short of getting a new credit card number, and even then it is not guaranteed that the company cannot bill you.

The ads on the internet... and the pervasive cookies and tracking they do

+1. Dad is diabetic, and I once searched for test strips for him, alerting the great database in the sky. I still receive ads for diabetes drugs.

On the other hand, I had some fun with it once. I secretly borrowed BIL's laptop and searched for morgue supplies. He received delightfully unnerving ads for quite a while. :D

BUT, at night I get on my tablet to read a few news article and what pops up... yes, and ad for that AC brand!!! I did not search on my tablet, so how did they know to send and ad to it!!!

I did a search on the hotel we stayed in in Fegene Italy to send the link to a friend. Now I get ads for La Cochiglia all the time. Totally useless. At least I am not tempted!

People who stand in front of you in line at the cashier for 5 minutes and wait until their purchases are rung through the till and THEN realize they have to pay for them and spend an hour digging through their purse/wallet looking for payment.

:facepalm:
Koogie, you will adapt to that when you have been retired because most of them shop off peak hours when you will be shopping. You might even offer them a few nickels to help out.

Koogie, you will adapt to that when you have been retired because most of them shop off peak hours when you will be shopping. You might even offer them a few nickels to help out.

I can't see my patience increasing with age... I fully intend to embrace my Matthau years... :LOL:

On the other hand, I had some fun with it once. I secretly borrowed BIL's laptop and searched for morgue supplies. He received delightfully unnerving ads for quite a while. :D

That's funny. Reminds me of the time I sent a $2 cash donation to a political candidate that BIL loathed in his name, thus ensuring that he would be deluged with requests for further donations until the election was over.:angel:

The ads on the internet... and the pervasive cookies and tracking they do...

As an example... the person who is putting in a new AC and ducts... they had an AC brand I had not heard of before... so I did a search on my computer.... no big deal...

If you are signed into a google account on each, the 'robots' know.

Ad blockers take care of most of this. But when I do see ads triggered by something I've searched for, it isn't upsetting to me. Why does it bother you? It's just the robots making the connection between your searches and what their advertisers will pay for.

In fact, I find it more useful than the random ads taking up space on a page, when I have zero interest in that product. At least these might remind me - oh, yes, I meant to do more research on that product, and see if I want to buy it. I got distracted.

I agree on popups - but those can usually be blocked/disabled.

-ERD50

I thought DVDs and CDs were supposed to be long-lasting storage media. So far I've had three DVDs fail at being read due to some kind of funky discoloration. These were only ever watched once and put back in the DVD case, but they've been sitting in there for years. Never in anything except a living room or bedroom, in the same space as all the other DVDs. It wouldn't be so bad, but two of them are from my favorite series.

I thought DVDs and CDs were supposed to be long-lasting storage media. So far I've had three DVDs fail at being read due to some kind of funky discoloration.

This is causing real headaches for those who work with digital records that have to be kept for long periods of time - think decades, centuries, or "forever".

Evidently no one has been able to come up with a longer-lasting data storage system than carving in stone.

This is causing real headaches for those who work with digital records that have to be kept for long periods of time - think decades, centuries, or "forever".

Evidently no one has been able to come up with a longer-lasting data storage system than carving in stone.

Oh yeah that's good for 100 years retention. I'm only too familiar. My career with that stuff started in the days of 12" WORM, we were promised a century. I know there's still a bunch of it with critical data on it.

The last year of w*rk I was reviewing hardware maintenance dollars. My VP was livid over the maintenance and support costs for some archaic storage. He demanded I get rid of it. We had a very long talk about media, compatability, conversions... I'm guessing it's still on 12".

One of many problems is when you start converting PB, EB size stores you can be talking years to convert.

Last edited:
Encroachment of Big Brother. I activated a credit card over the phone and the automated system asked me if I wanted to record a sample of my voice for their "voice recognition system". I declined.

Encroachment of Big Brother. I activated a credit card over the phone and the automated system asked me if I wanted to record a sample of my voice for their "voice recognition system". I declined.

No it's not. It's the free market and private sector decisions being made. It's all for your protection. Isn't that what the owners of the business are doing? The marketplace rewards businesses who do that kind of thing and punishes those who don't doesn't it? Big Bro? No. That's only when the government does it.

The over use of "excuse me" is a peeve of mine. For example, when I'm going into the restroom and someone is coming out and we're not even close to bumping into or cutting each other off, yet she has to say, "Excuse me". Or I go to get more coffee and someone is there finishing getting hers, she turns and says, "Excuse me" before walking away.

I can understand it if someone didn't see you and bumped or nearly bumped into you or was taking an unusual amount of time blocking your way, but every time your paths cross within five feet of each other? It makes me feel like I'm being pushy or something. Why not just a friendly nod of acknowledgement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom