Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #161

DD left home in 1999, changed her named when she married in 2001, and has lived in 3 different States since then. Over the same period we have moved 4 times and to a different State, and while we live in Texas, she now lives in California.

So, Why have we now started to get spam flyers in our mailbox addressed to her in her married name?

I suppose it is good news for the Post Office....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #162
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
DD left home in 1999, changed her named when she married in 2001, and has lived in 3 different States since then. Over the same period we have moved 4 times and to a different State, and while we live in Texas, she now lives in California.

So, Why have we now started to get spam flyers in our mailbox addressed to her in her married name?

I suppose it is good news for the Post Office....
Talking about junk mail... I checked the mail yesterday for the first time this week. The mailbox was jam-packed with mostly junk mail (5.5lbs worth according to my kitchen scale!). After spending 20 minutes going through it, I kept a single sheet of paper. And there is apparently no easy way to stop the madness.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
The mailbox was jam-packed with mostly junk mail (5.5lbs worth according to my kitchen scale!). After spending 20 minutes going through it, I kept a single sheet of paper. And there is apparently no easy way to stop the madness.
You must be a "good consumer" who according to the marketer's measures, buys lots of stuff. Or at least they think you are.

Hey, it's job security for the mail carrier so by receiving this you're accomplishing a social good. Doesn't that make you feel better?
Old 05-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #164
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And the Post Office photocopies every piece of mail that comes and goes to every address. Just a friendly service for all of us.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #165

Mail carriers: Pet Peeve.

This week we had a mail order prescription delivered to our mailbox but it wasn't ours. Same house number, much different street and clearly labelled.

So we left it in the box with a note saying it was not ours. Next day...still there (ignored by the carrier). So I delivered it myself to the old gentleman who had asked the SAME carrier why it showed "delivered" online and he had not received it. Go figure...

Hey, we are not talking about a Lego set here, this is prescription medicine.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #166

Getting a receipt 14 inches long for a single item purchase.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I have similar thoughts when I glance at the "giant-sized ladies' underwear" catalogs which keep getting sent to my house, ....

Chuckle -- I had to do a double look a this to see if it was the catalog that was oversized. Apparently not the catalog.....

-gauss
Old 05-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Chuckle -- I had to do a double look a this to see if it was the catalog that was oversized. Apparently not the catalog.....

-gauss
No, not the catalog. There is apparently a market for them though. This was taken at a cousin's wedding. They skipped the garter and went for the laugh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg underwear.jpg (79.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Is that the one where at the bottom of the receipt they try to get you to go online to give their service a rating and get your email address at the same time. I'm so tired of stores trying to get my phone number, zip code, email address. I'm also tired of when you check out of Sam's club their always trying to get you to upgrade your card. How many times do we have to hear that sales pitch. I feel like recording it on my phone and playing it back as I check out. Sorry for rant, was in several stores today and the above happened. Please stop bothering me when I'm cranky!!!!! LOL
Old 05-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #170
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I . . . often ask someone loading their trunk if their cart was a good one and ask to use it - saving them the trip to the cart return area.
I've been doing this whenever I go to the supermarket if I pass someone nearly done unloading their cart--I just ask if they are done with the cart. I usually get a big "thanks" for saving them a trip to the cart corral, and I save the cart fetcher from having to hoof that cart in. It's no work for me--I'm walking into the store anyway. (Sometimes I do ride the cart).

In Europe the carts are typically hooked together inside the store. You insert a coin into the lock and the cart pops free. Return the cart and hook it to another one and the coin pops out. There's aren't a lot of loose carts in the parking lots.

Pet peeves:
1) No recycling symbol on that big plastic lid. Why not make it out of something that can be recycled? Some of those mayo lids have about as much plastic as the jar.

2) Recycling symbols that are too small to read. I know my peepers ain't what they used to be, but a 1/4" symbol on the bottom of a clear plastic container is ridiculous. Does it cost more to make it bigger?

3) The increasingly common use of "So, . . ." to begin sentences in conversation. I don't know when this started, but it is annoying. Just say what you want to say without the affectation, please.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #171

No pet peeves today (TGIF!).

One of my co-worker used to say "life is a bitch and then you die." I say, life is good ... then you fade away.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #172
Recycles dryer sheets

No diversity anymore, we have a inclusion commitee now.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:27 AM   #173
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a Verizon Wireless family plan and I wanted to drop one phone number that is no longer needed. Turns out you cannot do this via your online account, you must call customer service. I contact customer service and tell them I want to cancel a number since it is no longer needed. I had to repeat that close to a dozen times, as they kept asking variations of "Are you sure you don't need it for someone else?" "Was there any problem with the line?" "Do you want to just suspend it in case you want to activate it again?"

While I wasn't upset, it was tiresome, and I politely pointed out to the call center rep that, since all of our phones could be cancelled without penalty, the conversation was making me consider if I could get a better deal elsewhere. Lo and behold they "discovered" a plan that gave me unlimited talk and text and will save me an additional $30/month (on top of the savings from cancelling one number), without any cancellation penalty since no new phone equipment is involved.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:44 AM   #174

The catalogs themselves are 5X8 or 8X11 inches.

Clearly, there is a market for the large items; the question is, are those customers being sent catalogs for the items which I would like to buy? No doubt that poorly targeted advertising is sparing people all sorts of temptations, so perhaps I should be grateful instead of peeved.

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
No, not the catalog. There is apparently a market for them though. This was taken at a cousin's wedding. They skipped the garter and went for the laugh.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #175
gone traveling

Quote:
I keep receipts in my wallet until entering them in Quicken and this is a pain. Kroger is the worst.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I keep receipts in my wallet until entering them in Quicken and this is a pain. Kroger is the worst.
So do I, but as soon as I get them, I just tear off the useless bottom portion that has the ads/survey/etc and immediately hand it back to the clerk.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #177

My pet peeve of everyday: junk email. Today I got an email from an online photo album company congratulating me on my "new arrival". Really? I'm 54 and DS doesn't have a girlfriend. Guess I'll have a talk with DH (just kidding!)
Old 05-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #178
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
No pet peeves today (TGIF!).

One of my co-worker used to say "life is a bitch and then you die." I say, life is good ... then you fade away.
Oh, I thought that was "Live is a bitch, then you marry one."
Old 05-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #179
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

There was an article about how long CVS receipts spark social media sensation.

Quote:
In one photo, a man holds up a CVS receipt so long it towers above his head. Another features a woman who jokingly uses the paper strip to keep track of her figure. She’s down to her target waistline: half a receipt.

The drug store chain’s remarkably long receipts — some, jammed with coupons, are said to reach 6 feet — have become a social media sensation, sparking more than 8,000 Twitter posts that range from gentle ribbings to scathing reproaches. They include photos that employ children, dogs, and even pianos as units of measurement of the scroll-like slips.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Double secret confirmation questions when registering at a website. "Who was your best friend in third grade?" Seriously?
Here's one. Online yesterday, BBT Bank required me to update my security questions. I couldn't get a screenshot from the dropdown box but I did take a photo. First choice .. What's your biggest pet peeve?

I wonder about the people that think these things up. Do they really believe this is security?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBT.jpg (1.05 MB, 23 views)