What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno.... what is wrong with someone saying I want to sell it but if I can't get at least $x for it then I'll just keep it... I see nothing wrong with that as long as the fact that there is a reserve is disclosed to bidders.
+1 As long as it is transparent, I don't see any issue at all.

As far as the guy claiming the album that only got $200 bids was 'worth' $1,000 - sure, it could only mean that the right buyers weren't at that auction. Obviously, anything more than $200 for an album (especially an ABBA album! :facepalm: :hide: ), is a limited, very limited audience.

-ERD50

I am really fed up with cheap electronics

A while back I bought a portable AM-FM radio that I planned to used out in the garage. It would run either off batteries or 120 volt. It has a USB port and SD card slot. Great, except it doesn't have an on-off switch. REALLY? To shut it off you have to unplug it if running on the electric cord, or you have to remove the batteries. What a piece of junk. No where on the packaging does it indicate there is no on-off switch.:mad:

Two days ago I bought two wireless keyboard and mouse combos that are manufactured by Polaroid. Yes, they were cheap. I wanted to use one on my desktop computer and the other I wanted to connect to my Samsung Smart TV. The packaging says "user manual" was included. Well, users manual gave instructions as follows, "Simply plug the included 2.4 GHz nano USB receiver into your computer or device's USB port. Insert 1 AA battery (not included) into the keyboard & 2 AAA's (not included) into the mouse and you are ready."

In both cases the TV and the computer recognized the keyboard and mouse, but only the mouse would work. Neither keyboard would work on either the TV or the computer and I switched multiple fresh batteries. :mad: I went to Polaroid web site and sent a email thru their link to contact customer support, I just checked and the email thru their link is undeliverable. :facepalm::mad:

Last edited:
I dunno.... what is wrong with someone saying I want to sell it but if I can't get at least $x for it then I'll just keep it... I see nothing wrong with that as long as the fact that there is a reserve is disclosed to bidders.

Then bidding should open at their minimum ask $

+1 I have no problem with a reserve but I don't like it when bidding starts at $1 but the reserve is undisclosed. I see this a lot on car auctions on ebay. I won't even bid when they won't tell you where the reserve is set.

+1 I have no problem with a reserve but I don't like it when bidding starts at $1 but the reserve is undisclosed. I see this a lot on car auctions on ebay. I won't even bid when they won't tell you where the reserve is set.
OK, an undisclosed reserve is something that I can see not liking. But the OP of that pet peeve didn't mention it. Sure, why waste your time just to be shut out? Just state a minimum bid, or ask.

I don't do auctions, is not only the reserve $ undisclosed, but the fact that there is a reserve at all? That doesn't seem right. I'd just avoid any place with undisclosed reserves, problem solved.

When I buy on ebay, I look for the "buy it now" pricing. If it is competitively priced, they aren't going to be able to let it go at a super-low auction price, so why bother? I guess it's different for collectibles or rare stuff.

-ERD50

I'm ok with either... either make the reserve the minimum bid or at least disclose that there is a reserve.

I actually don't buy things on auction so don't care a whole bunch but it just seemed odd that someone would get so peeved about an auction with a reserve.

I'm ok with either... either make the reserve the minimum bid or at least disclose that there is a reserve..............
EBay charges extra for a reserve, so I just start the bid at my minimum. In the past, on inexpensive items, I've gotten hosed after I pay the eBay and Paypal fees on both the merchandise and the shipping.

Last edited:
I used to live in New Jersey but I never had the new car coin toss so if you feel sorry for me you still have a chance . I just bought a new car and accept any coin tosses via pay pal .
It loses it appeal via pay pal, But if we ever do a get together, Ill bring lotsa change:)

I was born and raised in Brooklyn and I've never heard of the car coining custom (CCC (not a pronounceable acronym)).
So that means it probably only began in the 1970s.
Some one put up the wiki page, it cant be just my neighborhood.:confused: or maybe it is just neighborhoods like mine?

Last edited:
You would have hated some of the places I was assigned in the military. We often had to deal with "acronyms of acronyms" where each letter in the main acronym was the first letter of another sub-acronym. And yes, we all hated that too. :facepalm:

We had interdepartmental mail, so many units had the same initials mail always got misdirected.

Today's pet peeve: people at the gym who hog both lanes of the indoor track chatting with each other, oblivious to the fact that there are faster walkers who need to pass. When you say "excuse me" or "on your left" they glare angrily at you. I have no idea how people (in better shape than me) can actually run without bowling these idiots over or simply losing their minds. I guess the signs saying "slow walkers keep to the inside lane" are written in invisible paint.

Track lane hogs? How about lap swim hogs? "Hey, let's stand over there in the lap lane, no kids allowed in it. Get your drink and we can talk." :facepalm:

people at the gym who hog both lanes of the indoor track .

I used to work out, in the 1970s, in Toronto.....there was a guy who ran, (and it wasn't me, oddly enough), and would holler "TRACK!" at full volume......the offenders quickly moved...only to be replaced by another batch the following session.

My pet peeve of the day is FedEx.

Amazon said my new Dyson vacuum cleaner should arrive Friday.

FedEx sent me a text message saying I have to be here all day TODAY because I have to sign for the package.

And yet, FedEx tracking says that the package just left Memphis last night. Nothing about "Out for Delivery" although it is supposed to be delivered today. See attached graphic from their tracker.

I'm so confused. :LOL:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 21
Nice gyms, pools, tracks .My gym has weights, treadmills, heavy bags, weights, Gorillas on steroids, weights, mirrors, water cooler fountain, weights, and a bookie.

Gravity. I was using a chainsaw while standing on a ladder. When the limb I was severing fell, the remaining 3 feet of the limb (where the ladder was resting on) sprung upward rather violently. Chainsaw, ladder, and genius me went in three different directions.

Gravity - it'll get you every time. :facepalm: :nonono:

Gas station island pumps with video screens that are loudly blaring news or obnoxious commercials for stuff I would never buy while I pump my gas.:mad:

People who slop water all over the counter in the restroom, so if you lean against the edge you get a wet bar across the front of your clothes.

Gravity. I was using a chainsaw while standing on a ladder. When the limb I was severing fell, the remaining 3 feet of the limb (where the ladder was resting on) sprung upward rather violently. Chainsaw, ladder, and genius me went in three different directions.

Damn Gravity! Hope you are okay.

^^^This

The "peeve" factor is surfing a site like eBay, seeing something I want with a steal of a price next to it, then discovering there's a more "reasonable" reserve, so there's no way it's actually going to sell for the current bid. It renders the site unusable to me.

I'm surfing eBay for deals. If the pricing next to the listings doesn't reflect the price I can actually get the item for, then to me, that's deceptive. Frankly, it's the reason I haven't even visited eBay for several years.

Gravity that pesky stuff. Seriously glad your OK.

Bad things happen very quickly with chain saws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom