What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drivers that don't know what the white stop line across a lane at a light is. Half their car is in the intersection.

People that sit at a light was it turns green, most often texting.

People that think they have a god-given right to drive in the left lane 5 mph below the limit.

My pet peeve of a lifetime is bad grammar. I guess one could say I'm a grammar nazi.

I'll bet you get serious heartburn from the frequent incorrect use of the word "then" when it should be "than" by many members of this board. I see that error numerous times each day.

A good trick to keep track of these words is that then is usually used to indicate time. Both then and time have a letter “E” in them. Than is used to make comparisons. Both than and comparison have a letter “A” in them.
Then vs. Than: What's the Difference? - Writing Explained

Doesn't bother me at all. No, not at all. :)

Last edited:
I'll bet you get serious heartburn from the frequent incorrect use of the word "then" when it should be "than" by many members of this board. I see that error numerous times each day.

For some reason that doesn't bother me nearly as much as the lose/loose error.
That one sets me teeth on edge, and also seems to be extremely common.

Drivers who use the left turn lane as a passing lane. And where's a traffic cop when you need one?

Seat kickers! We like to go to plays and concerts and for some reason I seem to attract people sitting behind me who can't stop kicking my seat. I usually give people a couple of freebies and then I'll say something, but it is weird how hard some people will kick the seat in front of them, not just getting up and sitting down when it is understandable, but on an ongoing basis throughout a play.

The 30 second to 1 minute wait time for the computer to respond, at checkout lines. Customer swipes card, taps screen, waits, taps screen, the clerk and customer stare into their screens for another X seconds. Computers are supposed to make things faster, but it looks like they are making things as slow as the market will bear if it saves them a few cents per transaction. I always pay cash if it is allowed, and my wait time is whatever time it takes for the clerk to make change and give me the receipt.

I spent many years doing systems performance. So many trips to wonderful locations, all I mostly saw was the computer room.

At a large vendors benchmark center there was a very old note left by a team of very tired and dejected folks who had a breakthrough on their systems while there. The note that was left for all to see simply said:
"All computers wait at the same speed".:)

Shipping bag that doubles as a return bag for goods you may elect to send back (shoes, etc). Sender's employees put sticky shipping label directly over pull tab that is used to open package correctly to preserve the return capability of the bag. :mad:

Something I have noticed recently and increasing in frequency.

Cars at a four way stop and has multiple vehicles in all 4 directions, people taking their turn as normal, when one inpatient SOB deicides to just run the stop sign and follow the car in front of it through the intersection so that two cars go through instead of the one. I guess that extra 45 seconds or less is really that important. :confused:

No love for insure vs ensure? That one bugs me a lot for some reason. Not even close to the people blocking faster traffic in the left lane though....

People that think they have a god-given right to drive in the left lane 5 mph below the limit.

I'm not sure that it's a God-given right, I think the right might be given by the state or city. However, as I recall, the dead sea scrolls do make mention of the speed one should go in the left lane.

The grammar Nazi in me bristles at the misuse of few and less. No one knows anything about count and non-count nouns these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom