What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"After 15 seconds, the car will automatically turn the direction indicated by the signal."

That is most of the people in Florida !

Impressive, Moemg.
Dave Barry lives in Miami, Florida. He goes on to say, "Wouldn't that be great? It would remove at least 200,000 drivers from the road in Miami alone.?

Drug commercials, complete with the run down on all of the possible side effects. Ask my doctor? I believe if my doctor felt I could benefit from an available prescription medication, they would be initiating the conversation, not me.

Want to shave drug prices a bit? Stop paying to advertise them and pass the savings along.

Back to regular scheduled peeving.

Blocking the aisles is indeed the norm. Stopping in the doorway figuring out which way to go, parking the cart on one side of the aisle while stretching over to examine something on the other side, etc., etc. I once had a woman drag her cart behind her in the checkout lane and leave it to block my way as she left with her purchase. I yelled after her, "you forgot your cart, ma'am!" which indeed pissed her off. I speak up and I don't let it bother me. I'm not trying to be their friend.

People not patient enough to wait behind a car turning left and decide that they will swing around them into the bike lane to pass. Dangerous and illegal.

My pet peeve of the day: drivers who leave their turn signals on for blocks and blocks or miles and miles. "

If you have white hair and live in Florida, this is your God-given right. This plus backing up without looking. Both. God-given. Period.

I know. I live in Florida. And have dash cameras in my car. For self-defense against God-given rights.

The slow-walking, large blocker. A huge, slow person, of any age or sex, who is suddenly in front of you, often in a store. The only way to get around him is to do an embarrassing 'squeeze-by'. So you slowly trudge behind him, or take some other route. Oh, and the slow blocker could easily just move to one side, to let you by, but nooooo ...........

Public restrooms that have very large-diameter rolls of TP that is very thin. You can pull off only a few sheets before it tears. I suppose that's the plan though.

My pet peeve of the day: drivers who leave their turn signals on for blocks and blocks or miles and miles....................

To me this is a design flaw......whether intentional or not. In the olden days when the turn signal was on, there was a clear audible clicking sound so it was obvious. Not today. If you think about it and take your eyes off the road the blinking will be visible on the dash but that's not always safe to do and you do have to think about it.

Similar thing w/ dashboards lighting up at night by themselves. Don't know if all cars do that but many do I think. This causes the non-thinking to drive around at night with their lights off....because the dashboard is illuminated, they forget to turn on their lights. It would be more obvious if the dashboard was dark until you turned on the lights.

People not patient enough to wait behind a car turning left and decide that they will swing around them into the bike lane to pass. Dangerous and illegal.
+1000

My nephew was killed by someone doing this.

Someone driving 18 MPH in a 35 MPH zone on a 2 lane road in a no passing zone on a dry, clear day, especially when I'm trying to get someone to a medical appointment on time.

More of a rant than a peeve. Ongoing, seemingly permanent problem. I called up a health ins co to get details on the coverage, since I'm shopping for a new plan for 2018. Why are they always clueless? Do I have to immediately request to be transferred to a supervisor? I get answers like "I would guess that's covered". Yesterday's fiasco was that the rep I talked to was telling me that 10% coinsurance meant I had to pay 10% of the billed amount (always very high) rather than 10% of the "allowed amount" (usually much lower). Called back, got another rep, who said it was indeed 10% of the allowed amount. It's like this every year. Argggghhhh.....

Last edited:
Getting behind a slowpoke and approaching a green traffic signal. As we slowly approach the signal, it turns yellow, or even red sometimes, and the slowpoke drives on through, but the cars behind that have been held up must stop.

Someone driving 18 MPH in a 35 MPH zone on a 2 lane road in a no passing zone on a dry, clear day, especially when I'm trying to get someone to a medical appointment on time.

Someone driving 50 in the 65mph freeway in the fast left lane. Clearly that person is willing to make everyone else that want's to use that lane 15minutes later than expected over an hour commute.

Oh yeah. Around here I notice they slow down the last 100 yards to 5mph before they turn off. Of course they're all from out of state, I guess turn signals are optional in that state.

Getting behind a slowpoke and approaching a green traffic signal. As we slowly approach the signal, it turns yellow, or even red sometimes, and the slowpoke drives on through, but the cars behind that have been held up must stop.

Not necessarily a slowpoke as in they drive slow, but sometimes it is a distracted driver.

Driving through a red light is super dangerous. :mad:

I have noticed a trend in the recent "pet peeve" thread and it boils down to one thing: Too damn many people!!!

We recently moved to the midwest from the metro Atlanta area (with a significantly reduced population density) and the difference in "crowd behavior" is astonishing. Granted, they drive quite a bit slower here, but that's not necessarily a bad thing...especially when don't really have to be in a hurry most of the time.

I think Dwight from "The Office" got it right when he said, "Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth...we need a new plague." :)

When I visited my parents in central Ohio Columbus, it was like night and day from NJ.
Their every day was like Chritmas morning here in NJ with light traffic.
I miss that!

I have noticed a trend in the recent "pet peeve" thread and it boils down to one thing: Too damn many people!!!

We recently moved to the midwest from the metro Atlanta area (with a significantly reduced population density) and the difference in "crowd behavior" is astonishing. Granted, they drive quite a bit slower here, but that's not necessarily a bad thing...especially when don't really have to be in a hurry most of the time.

I think Dwight from "The Office" got it right when he said, "Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth...we need a new plague." :)

There are too many people crammed into the same space, for sure. We bought into a new development in 1996, which expanded for several more years afterwards. They continue to build more developments throughout the neighborhood and county. The problem is that they don't/won't expand road capacity. In my pet peeve above, note that I deliberately mentioned "a 2 lane road in a no passing zone". Yes, those roads were fine when it was still all farmland, but those days are long gone.

We have the newest commercial and retail space in the area less than 2 miles from my house, complete with a Super Walmart and several smaller strip centers. It's great when you can shop there early in the morning, but I've noticed that the off-peak hours are getting fewer and fewer. The "geniuses" (sarcasm definitely intended) that designed the place only made one access road. :facepalm: (That's worthy of a peeve in itself!) There are at least 2 new developments going in down the road from there, which will add to the congestion massively.

Common sense would dictate that you can't keep adding more housing, turning what was once rural into a more "citified" environment, and expect the existing rural street network to handle it all efficiently. I firmly believe that this does lead to more aggressive/careless driving behavior, from the things I've seen in more recent years around here.

When I visited my parents in central Ohio Columbus, it was like night and day from NJ.
Their every day was like Chritmas morning here in NJ with light traffic.
I miss that!

That was precisely the reason we moved from the D.C. area to West Virginia. Less than a hundred miles in distance, but a world away in stress levels.

Entering the parking lot at the shopping center, the incoming lanes have no stop signs and the ring road has stop signs coming from either direction. From all directions there are signs reading "incoming traffic does not stop." Of course, much of the time the incoming car come to a dead stop and sits there looking confused as to why the cars on the ring road won't go. Seems like most traffic signs are invisible these days.

I hope your traffic continues to be sparse. My traffic here in eastern Pa used to be beautifully light. It got actually bad about 10 years ago and continues to get heavier each year. No matter what time of day! Where are all these people going:confused: Get off my lawn and get off my roads!! lol...

Agreed! More people = more crowding and more people doing dumb/bad things = the need for more rules and regulations, area closures, and other restrictions on everyone's freedom. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom