What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope your traffic continues to be sparse. My traffic here in eastern Pa used to be beautifully light. It got actually bad about 10 years ago and continues to get heavier each year. No matter what time of day! Where are all these people going:confused: Get off my lawn and get off my roads!! lol...

I can hope, right? The area where we lived outside of Atlanta wasn't too bad 20-25 years ago. At the ball field I played at as a kid, if you hit a ball and it rolled across the two lane, it was easy to get. Today, it's a 4 lane with raised median and a daily traffic count of 44,800 (in 1990 it was 13,300) and is misery. Our current location *seems* to be far enough out that we shouldn't experience that kind of growth for a long time. Plus, we are attempting to purchase a fairly large parcel of land behind our next home to give us a little buffer...if it's needed. ;)

Time for a seasonal pet peeve:

In-laws who live out of state who either: invite themselves in for Thanksgiving/Christmas; or are invited by my FIL/MIL, yet FIL/MIL expect me to host. I feel like nothing more than a maid/cook, hovering in the background.

In-laws who live out of state who either: invite themselves in for Thanksgiving/Christmas; or are invited by my FIL/MIL, yet FIL/MIL expect me to host. I feel like nothing more than a maid/cook, hovering in the background.

That's where advising people that you have contracted Ebola or some similar contagious disease comes in handy. (They used to paint a large red or black cross on the doors of those with plague.)

I hope your traffic continues to be sparse. My traffic here in eastern Pa used to be beautifully light. It got actually bad about 10 years ago and continues to get heavier each year. No matter what time of day! Where are all these people going:confused: Get off my lawn and get off my roads!! lol...

Bucks County is awfully congested.
I was there for my contract job this summer and it was crowded at 8:30 am, at lunch, at 3:30 pm.

That's where advising people that you have contracted Ebola or some similar contagious disease comes in handy. (They used to paint a large red or black cross on the doors of those with plague.)

:LOL:

With my husband's help, I crafted a brief, carefully-worded email response to the email we received last night/this morning. He is the tactful one. I don't have the patience with them anymore. My email would have been blistering. (Any further necessary ones might still be, as my in-laws do not like to take "No" for an answer.)

An anecdote: One Christmas I had to call off hosting because I was sick. My husband let them know a day or so in advance. Christmas morning, my FIL called to ask what time dinner was. (No, he did not and still does not have dementia/Alzheimer's.) I was floored. After they showed up, my MIL remarked on how unwell I looked. I had a fever of 103 F. They'd thought I was bluffing to get out of having them over. Comments were made about my germs getting in the food, etc. I think it was the shortest Christmas visit ever. :LOL:

An anecdote: One Christmas I had to call off hosting because I was sick. My husband let them know a day or so in advance. Christmas morning, my FIL called to ask what time dinner was. (No, he did not and still does not have dementia/Alzheimer's.) I was floored. After they showed up, my MIL remarked on how unwell I looked. I had a fever of 103 F. They'd thought I was bluffing to get out of having them over. Comments were made about my germs getting in the food, etc. I think it was the shortest Christmas visit ever. :LOL:

This is your cue. At that point if they showed up I'd just say "I told you I am sick. I am not hosting anyone. For anything. No, get it? What part of "no" is it that you don't understand?"

And then shut the door.

To activate insurance with a new broker, I had to pay 100% when the policies began. Auto, Home, Umbrella, Rental. A year later, when I sold the rental, I talked new owner into staying with the broker, so they lost no business. Still, it took 30 days for me to get a refund.

Same rant, different business. I rent a vacation house in August for October. I must pay the rental and fees partially in August, with full payment a month before my visit. On Sept 27, I ask if the recent hurricane will change my vacation. Answer is "Yes". Refund arrives, November 8th. Rental agent's office was not damaged by hurricane, only rental properties on the beach. Yes, they had 3 days where they could not reach their office, but 45 days to process my refund? Oh, and they shorted the refund by $72 with no explanation.

When I w***ed, and we had to issue customer refunds, we always did it ASAP. Seems like these businesses can't be bothered.

My radio station “threw the switch” this morning and changed to 24 hours a day of Christmas music. Ugh. Too much, too soon. And now all the local stations will do the same thing.

I have simple needs. I listen to a radio station in the bathroom and in my car. It’s an Adult Contemporary type station. I like the morning crew, I enjoy the music, the banter and contests are fun. Yet every year they leap into the silly season earlier and earlier.

My solution is to go to my selection of podcasts. And I grit my teeth until it’s all over.

My radio station “threw the switch” this morning and changed to 24 hours a day of Christmas music. Ugh. Too much, too soon. And now all the local stations will do the same thing.
That's terrible. It's just way too early for this music.

Three years ago the city paid 7.4MM to build a new library in our area. All glass, steel and shiny surfaces now (it looks like Steve Jobs bathroom) and it has fewer books in it than before.

But the corker is, they are now closed on Fridays. Yeah, Fridays. Because who would want to get a book out for the weekend....:facepalm::mad:

Because who would want to get a book out for the weekend....

Books? BOOKS? OMG how primordial...next you'll want to draw buffaloes in caves! :LOL:

Car alarms. Specifically, the idiot users who feel the need to push "lock" on the key fob no less than 17 times to MAKE SURE the vehicle is locked. Were the 16 honks you heard when you repeatedly pushed the button not clue you in that it's LOCKED?!?

Just had all kitchen appliances replaced but did not check on microwave beeps. Way too long, loud and annoying. This particular model doesn’t have an option to lower volume or turn off beeps like the oven does. Will be looking for this feature with any future purchases.

Bad doctors, benzos, and substance abuse.....

I got a call two days ago from a former co-w*rker, he w*rked on my team for several years. He's stayed in touch after I've retired and I've always liked the guy.

He tells me he has a problem with alcohol and just got out of a 7 day rehab. Not going to drink anymore, just got back from his first 12 step meeting. I've had several friends in the program and understand some of it, and I'm genuinely happy for him. I've seen miracles from the program and hope he sticks around for his.

We chatted for a while and I asked him to call me back yesterday afternoon. His call is a couple hours late, but no problem. When he calls he's slurring his words, sounds drunk. Very drunk.

Turns out he's not been drinking, just taking 6, yes 6 mg of xanax he's prescribed daily! Guy only weighs 120 pounds. Holy crap I didn't know that was a dosage they would prescribe. Turns out they can, but very few doctors will prescribe over 4mg daily and only for short periods. He's been on this dosage for years. Then he tells me he's taking flexeril with it too.

Maybe I'll go to an al-anon meeting for me. I've known too many people that woke up dead.

Last edited:
Car alarms. Specifically, the idiot users who feel the need to push "lock" on the key fob no less than 17 times to MAKE SURE the vehicle is locked. Were the 16 honks you heard when you repeatedly pushed the button not clue you in that it's LOCKED?!?

:LOL: this is our neighbor! I can always tell when she is home.

Articles on social media with titles like "10 Things You Must Have before the Holiday Season Begins!" Followed by a list of things and where to buy them so as to generate income for whoever made up the silly list.

[emoji23] this is our neighbor! I can always tell when she is home.
Our next-door beep-aholic also believes in tooting the horn as she drives past when we are out walking.

Just got off the phone with Walgreens pharmacy and they gave me the old "we were just about to call" baloney which is a pet peeve of mine.

I dropped off my Rx last night around 7pm. They said it would take a couple of hours. No problem I said. I'll either come back around 9pm or wait till tomorrow (now today) and pick it up. Sure thing, they said. We will text you to let you know it's ready.

Never got a text. It's now almost 1:30pm, so I called Walgreens. Turns out there was some issue and they needed to call someone for approval. The pharmacy tech says "I was just about to call them".

Wow. Really? What a coincidence. :rolleyes:

IMO, that is more than a pet peeve. I think that is so rude that there should be an intervention.

In a similar vein, my DW has always bent over backwards to be gracious and welcoming to my family even though neither my mom nor my sisters (with one exception) have ever reciprocated.

A few years ago, we invited my mom and two of my sisters over for dinner. Naturally, my DW pulls out all the stops to make a really nice meal. About 2 hours before they were supposed to arrive, my sister calls my DW, gives her some lame excuse, and says 'we're not going to make it'.

The DW was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I know them too well. I called my mom and, while I don't recall exactly what I said, I do recall it was epic. I really unloaded on them for blowing off the dinner after all the time and effort my DW put in -- and they deserved word of it.

Last edited:
With my husband's help, I crafted a brief, carefully-worded email response to the email we received last night/this morning. He is the tactful one. I don't have the patience with them anymore. My email would have been blistering. (Any further necessary ones might still be, as my in-laws do not like to take "No" for an answer.)
Just saw this after my first response. Glad to hear it! :)

That's terrible. It's just way too early for this music.
Yep. And not just the music. I went to my local Costco last week and it was aisles and aisles of Christmas decorations.

Then, last night I was out driving last night and saw a house with Christmas lights up.

It used to irk me when all this happened right after Thanksgiving. Now, it's happening right after Halloween! :facepalm:

A few years ago, we invited my mom and two of my sisters over for dinner. Naturally, my DW pulls out all the stops to make a really nice meal. About 2 hours before they were supposed to arrive, my sister calls my DW, gives her some lame excuse, and says 'we're not going to make it'.

The DW was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I know them too well. I called my mom and, while I don't recall exactly what I said, I do recall it was epic. I really unloaded on them for blowing off the dinner after all the time and effort my DW put in -- and they deserved word of it.

Reminds me of the time we'd invited my FIL/SMIL over for a Sat. afternoon meal many years back. There was barely an inch of snow in the street. The sun was out and you could see the melting process had already begun. My FIL called up mid-morning and said they couldn't make it because of the snow. He said they'd be over tomorrow. I blew my stack, said something like, we weren't doing it tomorrow, the food was already cooking, not cooking again for them tomorrow, and the snow will be melted long before they get here. They came, the roads were completely free of snow, and FIL acted like something miraculous had happened to make it so.

I'm sure I'm his least favorite in-law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom