What is your "post-PC" plan?

I don't see any advantage to a laptop unless you use it outside the home a lot.

I have no use for a tablet when outside the home on a consulting gig (actually working). The laptop is more "business functional" than a tablet.... and most businesses I interface with use Win and their products.

Now, when I pull the part time plug and quit for good, then the laptop becomes a boat anchor, especially if I retain the home desktop. My Asus Transformer may get more use then, and it really works good as a Roku remote.

Last edited:
A laptop was essential while working, especially when going to conferences and giving talks. But mine (ThinkPad/Win7) belonged to work, so I turned it in when I left.

Two years into it, I am weaning off a desktop (but still have my 2007 one, mainly for Quicken and the hard drive). I mostly use the iPod and (much less) Samsung Chromebook. I'm not a gamer or photographer, work is what tethered me to a PC.

I use a Win7 laptop with i7 chip and 16 GB RAM for most everything. I run an HDMI cable from the laptop to HDTV if I want to stream a video from the laptop to the TV. Our son's desktop PC started smelling like smoke, and USB ports were dying, so I replaced the motherboard with a current one plus a new i7 Haswell chip. Added a new graphics card, too. I put in 16 GB RAM, but the motherboard can support up to 64 GB. I sometimes use the computer to run structural analysis, but it mostly gets used by our son to play games. It's running Win7, as well.

You can get a free app for Win8.1 called Classic Shell that makes Win8 behave like Win7. I would highly recommend installing that if you purchase a new computer that comes with Win8.1.

Last edited:
Not surprised as it follows the sales trends, but I find all the laptops instead of desktops for those who have tablets puzzling. I thought I'd buy a laptop to replace the old desktop. But you get a lot more for your $ with a desktop vs a laptop AND you can use the tablet when you need mobility. I don't see any advantage to a laptop unless you use it outside the home a lot.

It appears I'm going to have a desktop and tablet for the foreseeable future.

Again, not a criticism, I'm just different...
Might depend on the tablet. I don't like to do much inputting on my Nexus 7. I suppose the larger Ipad would be better for modest typing like this response (doing on my PC).

Physically it seems the laptop is kind of clunky for true lap usage, maybe while in an easy chair or during those TV commercials. On hot days it would seem to be too warm for the lap. Maybe other people's setups are different and they like table usage.

All of this depends on how we use our computers, budgets, time to fiddle with gadget's eccentricities, etc.

3. Lenovo laptop (Win 8.1) - use in my consulting business travel. I hate this OS.:mad:

Have you tried running Classic Shell? It's a free program that makes Win8.1 behave like Win7. It does not actually alter Win8.1, so it's easy to remove if you don't like it.

I got an HP that I upgraded from 8 to 8.1.

But thus far, I'm spending most of my time in the desktop, using Thunderbird for Mail, Chrome for browsing, Quicken, LightRoom.

I downloaded a few Metro apps but they're not as good. For instance, I like Evernote on my iPad way more than the Win 8 version of Evernote.

A lot of missing apps in the Metro store. In fact, searches return some Desktop apps.

Have you tried running Classic Shell? It's a free program that makes Win8.1 behave like Win7. It does not actually alter Win8.1, so it's easy to remove if you don't like it.

Yes, I am using it now. It's made the laptop useable for me as I am not that interested in looking at web pages trying to get money out of me. Win 8.1 has some irritating behavior, though.

I guess I am too used to the stability and smoothness of my XP machine, especially after 7 years of use and customization by me.

Yes, I am using it now. It's made the laptop useable for me as I am not that interested in looking at web pages trying to get money out of me. Win 8.1 has some irritating behavior, though.

I guess I am too used to the stability and smoothness of my XP machine, especially after 7 years of use and customization by me.

How well does Classic Shell make the desktop look like XP?

I'm still on XP (comfortable interface) but once the XP support goes away..will prob go to newer system.

I'm one of the seemingly few who aren't put off by Win 8.1 despite decades using Win 3.0, 95, XP and Vista. I suspect I will switch back and forth between Metro and the desktop, but I don't expect I'll want a shell. I made the transition from CP/M to MS-DOS to Windows (and iOS) without any fuss, it was fun to learn something new - 8.1 is not a big deal to me, I usually like change.

And I've foregone touchscreen too. It might be a nice add to the keyboard and mouse, but the fingerprints on the screen would drive me nuts. Sad but true. It's OK on an iPad, but not a desktop for me.

We'll see...

Last edited:
I have an iPad and while it is certainly useful, there are just times when a real computer is needed to complete something or just do do it an a reasonable time frame. My intention is to replace (when the time comes) my current laptop and iPad with a MacBook Air, 11 inch model. If I still want/need a tablet device, I might spring for an inexpensive 5 to 7 inch Android device.

A couple of years ago I replaced my PC desktop with a 13" MacBook Air. The MacBook is more like a tablet than a PC in my mind. At home I hook it up to a larger Dell monitor. If I leave the house with a computer I still need the power of a laptop for my volunteer work. Otherwise my "outside" computer is my iPhone which fits in my pocket.

I'm not comfortable with using the Cloud for all my data storage which is mostly photos and video. However, I open to giving tablets another chance in a few years.

How well does Classic Shell make the desktop look like XP?

I'd have to say it's close and probably looks more like Win 7, but XP and 7 are like brothers. Not that I am resistant to change, I just don't see change being made just to promote a new product, when underneath, it's not readily distinguishable.

A few years ago, I was at a packaging plant in Canada that custom packaged cosmetics, soaps, deodorants, lotions, etc. I asked the Production Manager how he handles product upgrades (i.e. "new and improved", etc). He said the customer's formulations don't necessarily change, but what they change is some minor packaging feature such as bottle color, dispensing spout, grip, etc. He said the marketing is a gimmick and rarely is their any formulation changes. (kind of what MS has been doing with Windows)

I'd have to say it's close and probably looks more like Win 7, but XP and 7 are like brothers. Not that I am resistant to change, I just don't see change being made just to promote a new product, when underneath, it's not readily distinguishable.

A few years ago, I was at a packaging plant in Canada that custom packaged cosmetics, soaps, deodorants, lotions, etc. I asked the Production Manager how he handles product upgrades (i.e. "new and improved", etc). He said the customer's formulations don't necessarily change, but what they change is some minor packaging feature such as bottle color, dispensing spout, grip, etc. He said the marketing is a gimmick and rarely is their any formulation changes. (kind of what MS has been doing with Windows)

Thanks for the info.

I remember back in my old high school consumer ed class where "new and improved" for laundry detergent can really mean a redesign of the box appearance and not the detergent itself :)

Much of the fun part of my job and my hobby requires server PCs, so I'll keep them and laptops around for a bit. I may consolidate the current physical systems (too many for any sane person :)) using virtualization, but I enjoy playing with various operating system platforms so they will continue to be part of my "home cloud datacenter" plan.

We got rid of our desktops the year after we retired and switched to Windows laptops. At home they are usually connected to large monitors and full size keyboards and mice. We are both heavy spreadsheet users.

A year ago I bought an iPad and DW an iPod Touch and used them for the 5 months we were out of the country. This year for our 5 months out of the country DW is going to take her laptop while I take my iPad. (I can use her laptop for my spreadsheet work)

I can't see us going back to a desktop PC or 100% onto tablets anytime soon.

I use my PC with 27 inch monitor most of the time at home. When I go to the toilet, that's when I use my tablet.

When I'm away from home, that's where I use my smartphone.

Don't ever see that changing. Why would I give up a PC with 27 inch monitor for a 7 inch tablet?

We got rid of our desktops 10 years ago.

But I will continue with my laptop because I like to edit photos as well as video. We also do a bunch of accounting.

Not surprised as it follows the sales trends, but I find all the laptops instead of desktops for those who have tablets puzzling. I thought I'd buy a laptop to replace the old desktop. But you get a lot more for your $ with a desktop vs a laptop AND you can use the tablet when you need mobility. I don't see any advantage to a laptop unless you use it outside the home a lot.

It appears I'm going to have a desktop and tablet for the foreseeable future.

Again, not a criticism, I'm just different...
A desktop requires a desk?

Yes, we use the mobility of laptops, especially inside the house.

I like not being tied to a desk, and we don't have room for desks either. Especially with two of us using computers all the time.

Last edited:
Not surprised as it follows the sales trends, but I find all the laptops instead of desktops for those who have tablets puzzling. ...

Maybe they already had the laptop when they bought the tablet? And then, if they went back to a desktop, that might mean an added monitor purchase - at that point, people might just stick with a laptop?

There is another reason for laptops over desktops - they are so small and compact and self-contained, they are more adaptable to re-purpose. I use my old netbook as a music player, and for a few other misc tasks. A lot easier to pick it up and move it from the main stereo in the living room, to the porch or elsewhere than to move a desktop and monitor. And the netbook sits on a shelf in the living room w/o being conspicuous when not in use - just close the lid.

-ERD50

Just ordered a Dell XPS 8700** for $650 and Office 2013 Home & Business (DW edict) for $180. An iMac would have been a nice toy, but I'd have to learn a new OS-X & software and spend about $1800-2000 all up. Since I already use the desktop only 20% of the time and DW uses it never, might was well save $ and stick with the (Windows) devil we know. Now I need to research how best to migrate files (without bringing viruses, etc. across) and delete bloatware from the new PC.

I want to plug it into our family room TV with HDMI, but DW glared at me when I surfaced the idea. :nonono:

Will be quite an upgrade from Vista and Office 2003 (believe it or not). We'll use the old 19" LCD monitor, printer, router, etc.

Funny, buying a new PC was always an event for me. Now it's truly just another appliance for us, unlike mobile devices. My next iPad will cost more than our new PC (if they put out the rumored 12.9").

** Win 8.1, 4th Gen i5, 8G RAM, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GPU and all the desirable ports & doo-dads.
Did you consider an All-In-One Dell desktop? I'm using a 2004 Dell desktop running XP, so I will have to buy a replacement soon.

I may buy whatever looks good on QVC.:)

Too early for me to even think about "post PC". I still have 6 PCs in the home, 3 running Windows 7, 2 running XP, 1 running Windows Server. Plus 1 laptop, and 3 netbooks, all running Win 7.

Note: Other than 2 newly added iPhones, no iPad or tablets here.

My laptop (Windows 7) is my main machine, when it dies I'll get another one or >maybe< a Windows tablet if I see any applications that I'd really use that need the touchscreen. If my peepers get worse I can plug in a bigger monitor for use at home, and when I want to travel I just take the laptop. Windows is what I know, the software I use runs on it, Apple hardware is more expensive, and learning a new OS is not my idea of a good time.

I've got an iPad, it is a single-use device (navigation in an airplane). I never use it at home--too hard to do anything that I can already do on a laptop. I do not find the device or its OS to be intuitive, but at least it is stable (important in this use).

Last edited:
It's compressed, but to the lossless FLAC format. I also scan the entire CD booklet, jewel case tray insert, and even the CD. All these images are scanned at 300dpi and stored as lossless PNG files.

It represents my CD collection, which used to number ~10,000 but is now down to about half of that. I may hang onto some of the CD's but plan to have them all archived digitally in a few years hopefully. Doing this will help me to put less stuff in storage if I ever go the full-time RV route. It's not just the CD's, but also the racks they are in. It's a pain in the behind hauling all this stuff around when I move!

As for organizing it, I have CD racks lining the wall of my apartment. Everything is alphabetized and divided into separate sections - Rock/Pop/Hip Hop, Jazz, World, Blues, Folk, Reggae, Electronic, Classical, Holiday music. Each section has a separate section at the end for compilations.

No, I haven't listened to all of it yet. The funny thing is that when listening, I keep coming back to the same old albums, despite having a fairly sizable collection.

Note if you use media player (at least on Windows 8) it will go out to the web and download the track labels and art. In most cases its correct, one may find the every so often the track titles in another language. Rarely the database will get 2 cds confused, since it uses track lengths to identify cds.
Now after downloading one may have to fix the meta data. For example since I almost exclusivly have what the database terms as classical, I broke it up into Baroque, true classical (Hayden thru Beethoven). Romantic, and Post Romantic. So I had to edit the genres. Since the composers names may be formatted differently I had to fix it so I could use media player to locate by composer.

I also bought a USB turntable and digitized the 200 or so albums I had. There you do have to enter the info yourself, but often can get a copy of the cover art from folks who have the records for sale on Amazon. In this case I made the tracks side 1 and side 2, just they way you would have done with the old record changer.

We have a family WIN 7 desktop, a couple of WIN 7 laptops, an iPad, an Android tablet and I have an Android phone. We live outside the country at the moment with our portable stuff. When we are home, we use the desktop (transfer photos, music, documents, etc., while we are home). I also have a couple of old desktops with Linux. We upgrade the hard disks when needed and replace the printers when they die.

When we come home to stay, I am going to use Linux or BSD and open software exclusively and keep the laptop for emergencies. I feel no need to feed Microsoft. DW will probably keep using her Windows laptop and the family machine. We will continue to replace hard disks and printers when they die.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom