Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I also scan the entire CD booklet, jewel case tray insert, and even the CD.
Funny. I realize you just wanted the label, but ...

This reminded me of something I heard during my w*rking days in the Pentagon. A certain government agency, which shall remain nameless here, realized that the wealth of historical data they were storing was on 80-column punch cards, and the card readers needed to use them were just about obsolete.

So they decided to archive the data in a more permanent format. All the millions of punch cards were scanned, and the scans recorded on microfilm.

You really can't make this stuff up.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I want to replace my almost 8 yo PC desktop soon due to XP support ending and am leaning toward a 21.5" iMac with the newer processor, but pricing this out at MacMall is causing me to pause. I was hoping to dodge some of the malware encountered over the years on my PC, and it would be kind of fun to learn a new OS, but the cost differential is hard for me to justify. Feeling the same as Midpack.
You can see what conclusion I came to in post #32 FWIW. I had myself talked into a 21.5" iMac, but it really didn't make sense for us. Maybe next time in 5-6 years if desktops really reinvent themselves as some folks suggest (gestures, voice recognition, etc.). Seems unlikely to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
The other option to consider if you do get a Mac is to upgrade to a fusion drive, which is a 128 GB SSD paired with a 2 TB disk and the OS will move your system files and your most frequently accessed files into the SSD portion.

I wouldn't necessarily get the RAM upgrade through Apple, though the 16 GB RAM upgrade for my iMac is $140 at Amazon.
I wanted a 1.1TB fusion drive, but hybrids are still newer technology, some experts are refraining for now and managing SSD and HDD manually/separately. And failure modes for HHDs and SSDs are different, could get tricky near the end. As for how much better it performs, would be a function of how much filespace you use. If somehow everything you had fit within 128GB, you'd have SSD performance. If however, you had closer to 1TB and way more than 128GB in OS and apps, ever diminishing returns in terms of performance.

You can indeed upgrade RAM on the current 27" but not on the current 21.5" for 99.9% of users. Good way to void your warranty or worse...so you just have to let Apple gouge away if you need more RAM on the 21.5."

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
So they decided to archive the data in a more permanent format. All the millions of punch cards were scanned, and the scans recorded on microfilm.
This is fascinating. And their plan to retrieve this data if needed is...?
Old 02-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use the iPad for almost everything. When my elderly laptop dies, I'll replace with a cheap laptop attached to a real keyboard and a monitor like Erd50. That gives me the option of a laptop and it uses less power than a desktop. I just bought a NAS for the music files.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anandtech did some benchmarking of fusion drives. Forget the exact conclusion but it was generally positive.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #46

I haven't had a desktop in years. When my trusty laptop dies, I'll replace it. I also have an android Asus tablet and an HP mini. All three get used frequently.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #47

Right now I'm using a super fast Samsung tablet/computer Intel Core 15, since I'm technically working. Loads of programs and storage. Nothing I need for my personal use.
I prefer a laptop for my limited personal internet and storage use. Last summer I bought a cheap <$300 Toshiba my DW and I use for our personal trips. Kind of old school but I strongly prefer the big screen luxury of a laptop.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

We have the following machines:

1. 7 year old XP desktop box I built (still running fine and use for just about everything). Maybe a candidate for an upgrade soon. Lost one HDD in the RAID array last year. Replaced it and rebuilt the file system from the good drive. All is good now.....

2. Dell desktop (Win 7) for DW - Cheepo Dell refurb store buy for ~$250.00 - it's an e-mail and Facebook machine (I do all the finance and banking on my homemade box).

3. Lenovo laptop (Win 8.1) - use in my consulting business travel. I hate this OS.

4. Asus Transformer (Android) = DD bought it for me for Christmas two years ago - It's primary use is as a remote for the Roku that seems to sit idle around here.

No IPads, other Apple machines. I built a Ubuntu PC and gave it to neighbor's son.

In the garage sits a Lenovo slim desktop running Win 7 I got for free. I'm not sure what to do with this cute little desktop yet.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Not surprised as it follows the sales trends, but I find all the laptops instead of desktops for those who have tablets puzzling. I thought I'd buy a laptop to replace the old desktop. But you get a lot more for your $ with a desktop vs a laptop AND you can use the tablet when you need mobility. I don't see any advantage to a laptop unless you use it outside the home a lot.

It appears I'm going to have a desktop and tablet for the foreseeable future.

Again, not a criticism, I'm just different...

Old 02-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Not surprised as it follows the sales trends, but I find all the laptops instead of desktops for those who have tablets puzzling. I thought I'd buy a laptop to replace the old desktop. But you get a lot more for your $ with a desktop vs a laptop AND you can use the tablet when you need mobility. I don't see any advantage to a laptop unless you use it outside the home a lot.

Where I come from with having laptops instead of desktops, my boyfriend and I, who live together, each have our own laptop with no desktop. His is a small netbook that we got a few years ago for a couple hundred bucks and mine is a 17 inch monster that I got in high school. We find they're just better for us to work with. We can take them to different rooms of the home so we don't have to work in the same place ever, and we can bring them elsewhere to work.

Tablets don't have the kind of processing power we usually need for work, and anything without a firm attached keyboard is a no go. We'd easily consider the laptops which can close and become tablets, but never a tablet with one of the roll away or laser projection keyboards, because we don't use desks and work in the bathroom, in bed, by the pool, etc, where our hands propped on the keyboard are what holds the screen up on our legs or the arm of the chair.

We're on the computers for well over 12 hours a day for work and play, which is too long to be in the same chair or spot. Sometimes we need to work in separate rooms or the same room, and that's just too much of a hassle to keep moving with desktops.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't see any advantage to a laptop unless you use it outside the home a lot.
I have no use for a tablet when outside the home on a consulting gig (actually working). The laptop is more "business functional" than a tablet.... and most businesses I interface with use Win and their products.

Now, when I pull the part time plug and quit for good, then the laptop becomes a boat anchor, especially if I retain the home desktop. My Asus Transformer may get more use then, and it really works good as a Roku remote.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #52

What is your "post-PC" plan?

A laptop was essential while working, especially when going to conferences and giving talks. But mine (ThinkPad/Win7) belonged to work, so I turned it in when I left.

Two years into it, I am weaning off a desktop (but still have my 2007 one, mainly for Quicken and the hard drive). I mostly use the iPod and (much less) Samsung Chromebook. I'm not a gamer or photographer, work is what tethered me to a PC.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I use a Win7 laptop with i7 chip and 16 GB RAM for most everything. I run an HDMI cable from the laptop to HDTV if I want to stream a video from the laptop to the TV. Our son's desktop PC started smelling like smoke, and USB ports were dying, so I replaced the motherboard with a current one plus a new i7 Haswell chip. Added a new graphics card, too. I put in 16 GB RAM, but the motherboard can support up to 64 GB. I sometimes use the computer to run structural analysis, but it mostly gets used by our son to play games. It's running Win7, as well.

You can get a free app for Win8.1 called Classic Shell that makes Win8 behave like Win7. I would highly recommend installing that if you purchase a new computer that comes with Win8.1.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Might depend on the tablet. I don't like to do much inputting on my Nexus 7. I suppose the larger Ipad would be better for modest typing like this response (doing on my PC).

Physically it seems the laptop is kind of clunky for true lap usage, maybe while in an easy chair or during those TV commercials. On hot days it would seem to be too warm for the lap. Maybe other people's setups are different and they like table usage.

All of this depends on how we use our computers, budgets, time to fiddle with gadget's eccentricities, etc.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

3. Lenovo laptop (Win 8.1) - use in my consulting business travel. I hate this OS.
Have you tried running Classic Shell? It's a free program that makes Win8.1 behave like Win7. It does not actually alter Win8.1, so it's easy to remove if you don't like it.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #56

I got an HP that I upgraded from 8 to 8.1.

But thus far, I'm spending most of my time in the desktop, using Thunderbird for Mail, Chrome for browsing, Quicken, LightRoom.

I downloaded a few Metro apps but they're not as good. For instance, I like Evernote on my iPad way more than the Win 8 version of Evernote.

A lot of missing apps in the Metro store. In fact, searches return some Desktop apps.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
Have you tried running Classic Shell? It's a free program that makes Win8.1 behave like Win7. It does not actually alter Win8.1, so it's easy to remove if you don't like it.
Yes, I am using it now. It's made the laptop useable for me as I am not that interested in looking at web pages trying to get money out of me. Win 8.1 has some irritating behavior, though.

I guess I am too used to the stability and smoothness of my XP machine, especially after 7 years of use and customization by me.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yes, I am using it now. It's made the laptop useable for me as I am not that interested in looking at web pages trying to get money out of me. Win 8.1 has some irritating behavior, though.

I guess I am too used to the stability and smoothness of my XP machine, especially after 7 years of use and customization by me.
How well does Classic Shell make the desktop look like XP?

I'm still on XP (comfortable interface) but once the XP support goes away..will prob go to newer system.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I'm one of the seemingly few who aren't put off by Win 8.1 despite decades using Win 3.0, 95, XP and Vista. I suspect I will switch back and forth between Metro and the desktop, but I don't expect I'll want a shell. I made the transition from CP/M to MS-DOS to Windows (and iOS) without any fuss, it was fun to learn something new - 8.1 is not a big deal to me, I usually like change.

And I've foregone touchscreen too. It might be a nice add to the keyboard and mouse, but the fingerprints on the screen would drive me nuts. Sad but true. It's OK on an iPad, but not a desktop for me.

We'll see...

Old 02-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I have an iPad and while it is certainly useful, there are just times when a real computer is needed to complete something or just do do it an a reasonable time frame. My intention is to replace (when the time comes) my current laptop and iPad with a MacBook Air, 11 inch model. If I still want/need a tablet device, I might spring for an inexpensive 5 to 7 inch Android device.