What is your "post-PC" plan?

My ISP does not do IMAP and I do not believe there is any way to leave email copies on their server once downloaded into Outlook.

My ISP does not do IMAP and I do not believe there is any way to leave email copies on their server once downloaded into Outlook.

Have you tried setting Outlook to leave a copy? If the ISP permits browser access to email, you should be able to keep copies on the server.

Have you tried setting Outlook to leave a copy? If the ISP permits browser access to email, you should be able to keep copies on the server.

Thanks, I did not know that was even an option, but just found it in the advanced tab. Unfortunately that won't do much good for the past emails that were already downloaded to my PC.

Thanks, I did not know that was even an option, but just found it in the advanced tab. Unfortunately that won't do much good for the past emails that were already downloaded to my PC.

Most people don't know about the options. I think the default should be to leave a copy on the server until deleted by the client.

Don't use ISP email. Use Gmail. Or iCloud.

Don't use ISP email. Use Gmail. Or iCloud.

I find gmail on the web unusable. The thing I cannot do is sort recipients or subjects. Yes, they have filters, but sometimes I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. But when I sort in an email program, I can usually find pretty easy, as common ones are lumped together and I skip over them.

By sorting by recipient, I can quickly delete stuff I don't want. With filters, I'd have to enter each recipient one at a time to get those emails. Very cumbersome. It'll do when I'm away from my computer, but otherwise, forget.

Arghhhh! I got on to verify this, and they have stuff in the spam folder I was looking for! It goes into spam on the web, but I got no notification here. Maybe I need to duplicate that folder on my email client?

-ERD50

I use my Gmail accounts, using IMAP, with Mail app on OS X. That is why I made the comment, since DFW just got an iMac.

Once sync'd to the Mail app client, you can search, sort through all your Gmails.

Gmail is great for me. I can have my POP accounts (work, outlook) forwarded to it. It's really great when I am on the road, which I am a lot. Plus, my Android phone receives them. And I can send from GMail using my POP addresses. Neat!

While it's not the best for finding past e-mails, I separate important ones by color coding a folder.

I use my Gmail accounts, using IMAP, with Mail app on OS X. That is why I made the comment, since DFW just got an iMac.

Once sync'd to the Mail app client, you can search, sort through all your Gmails.

OK, sorry - I thought you meant gmail on the web interface.

-ERD50

I picked up seven PC's and Macs for disposal. The family moved, and I was hired to backup what I could, and securely dispose of the drives. Since the computers are 7-10 years old, there is no residual value. It's the data that is valuable. There might be an old copy of a will, or quicken file, for example. For this individual, the cost of gathering all the data together for transfer is worth whatever it costs.

I think it's time to seriously consider a NAS. Have too many hard drives, USB things, and so on. I need a very large data dump...

In the process of moving from XP to Win 7 to a used Dell computer, but ran into a couple of roadblocks.

One of my hard drive docks was defective but it took me a whole day to discover that. Ended up getting another dock that I really like.

Two, to my surprise it looks like (mostly on Dell computers) using programs to record from the sound card (called "Stereo Mix" or "What You Hear") is no longer around. I use this is to timeshift, record streamed programs in the middle of the night to listen to during the day. So now I'm looking for an alternative solution. (I've read that even many modern sound cards don't "Stereo Mix" -- probably because of privacy concerns).

At least on the good side, I found some nice utilities during the OS move.

Two, to my surprise it looks like (mostly on Dell computers) using programs to record from the sound card (called "Stereo Mix" or "What You Hear") is no longer around. I use this is to timeshift, record streamed programs in the middle of the night to listen to during the day. So now I'm looking for an alternative solution. (I've read that even many modern sound cards don't "Stereo Mix" -- probably because of privacy concerns).

I just found the 'stereo mix' on my newer ASUS running 8.1. I had to right click on the speaker icon in the tool bar, then right click on recording devices, then the the recording tab box, I right clicked and selected 'show disabled devices'. stereo mix is disabled on default.

In the process of moving from XP to Win 7 to a used Dell computer, but ran into a couple of roadblocks.

One of my hard drive docks was defective but it took me a whole day to discover that. Ended up getting another dock that I really like.

I use Station Ripper to record streaming music from my favorite web radio station. SR breaks the stream into individual MP3s. Like a lot of programs it has a free version and a pro version. The free version will rip 25 songs and then requires restarting. A $20 paid version will go as long as you want. The interface is a little confusing but you can eventually figure it out. Try the free version and see if it does what you want.

On my Inspiron 660 with Windows 8 using Audacity it is definitely possible to record from the sound card. On my HP laptop with windows 7 it is not.

On my Inspiron 660 with Windows 8 using Audacity it is definitely possible to record from the sound card. On my HP laptop with windows 7 it is not.

Make sure you have the correct drivers for the sound card. Dell and HP are bad about having multiple chipsets for same model of PC depending on when it was manufactured. You may be using some windows generic driver instead of the specific one for the motherboard chipset. Some high end video cards also have sound output and the drivers for those can reconfigure your sound settings.

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to put this on the "need to figure out" list and work on my other software first and revisit this afterwards and decide to look for a software or hardward solution.

On XP, I use a program called MP3myMP3 which is free and easy to use. Here's a link their mention of the Dell issue:

MP3myMP3 Help

I did come across a non-free program that does work without stereo mix. It's called "All Sound Recorder", but the interface isn't as friendly as mp3mymp3, plus non-free.

Windows 8 Best Sound Recorder software for windows free download

I think I just went 'post-PC'. It died. Or is having a great deal of difficulty with it's lifestyle. BIOS reports it can't find the keyboard, and wants me to "Press F1 to continue..."
:LOL:

I think I just went 'post-PC'. It died. Or is having a great deal of difficulty with it's lifestyle. BIOS reports it can't find the keyboard, and wants me to "Press F1 to continue..."

If it is a usb keyboard, just unplug and plug the usb plug back in.

Also I have an old machine that came out just after usb keyboards, sometimes you just let the bios go thru and boot, and then it finds the keyboard when the USB driver loads in the Operating System (This was Win ME)

Last edited:

:LOL: So typical! If fixing it as meierlde suggested isn't feasible, then I would suggest regarding this as a great opportunity to shop for yet another new computer.

My laptop computer "fried" last October, so I bought a new one right away. Then, I had a lot of fun doing a curiousity-driven post-mortem dissection of the fried laptop, during which I extracted the hard drive and smashed it with a hammer.
How to destroy a hard drive (quick and dirty way) - YouTube

If you haven't done this in a few years, then I want to remind you that if you don't need the hard drive, this can be so much FUN.... >:D>:D>:D and very therapeutic!

If fixing it as meierlde suggested isn't feasible, then I would suggest regarding this as a great opportunity to shop for yet another new computer.

Not a big deal. The Macs are all still working. And I could probably build a couple Frankenputers from my junk box...

I just found the 'stereo mix' on my newer ASUS running 8.1. I had to right click on the speaker icon in the tool bar, then right click on recording devices, then the the recording tab box, I right clicked and selected 'show disabled devices'. stereo mix is disabled on default.

I went ahead and ordered an ASUS (XONAR DG to be exact) today from Amazon.
After $10 rebate, only about $18.

If all goes well, I'll be a happy camper. If not, then at least Amazon has a good return policy and I can say I gave the college try.

To be continued... :blush:

If it's a USB keyboard, reboot and go into the BIOS. See if USB Legacy support is on. If you notice it's off, it could be the system battery, which is easily replaced. But record all the settings you find, so that you can make changes after new battery goes in.

When the time comes, swap out motherboard and processor for new ones. That is the advantage of building your own system. Also, run Linux to avoid the retardation that is Windows.

I went ahead and ordered an ASUS (XONAR DG to be exact) today from Amazon.
After $10 rebate, only about $18.

If all goes well, I'll be a happy camper. If not, then at least Amazon has a good return policy and I can say I gave the college try.

To be continued... :blush:

An update... I got the sound card an installed it. Did the needed stuff (disable onboard audio, updated system bios, updated card driver).

But whenever I tried to enable Wave or Stereo out of the sound card (through control panel), that caused a crash (BSOD). No go! :blush:

Patience is a virtue. I ended up returning the sound card and then found a nifty program (for about $30) which is exactly what I wanted.

It's called i-Sound Recorder for Windows 7. Not only it is easy to use and does scheduling but doesn't even use Stereo Mix :dance:

i-Sound Recorder for Windows 7 and Windows Vista

Now I can easily record streamed broadcasts to listen to at a more convenient time.

Back
Top Bottom