What Obama's speech say about his leadership.

Interesting perspective thanks for sharing it.

In case people have forgetton the sex scandal involved Jerri Ryan of Star Trek Next Generation fame.

jeri_ryan_01.jpg

Who said political history is dull? :cool:

I liked her better as "7 of 9"......Borg chicks are hot!!!

As far as presenting a plan... I'm not sure that needs to be a part of it at this point. Sometimes, things are taken in steps, and the first step is just to acknowledge and recognize the problem. I think that was the intention of the speech.

Even if he never does come up with a plan, does that put him behind the other candidates? Probably not, as I don't think either of them have presented a plan.
-ERD50

Thank you for respecting my opinion I respect yours and the way you present them. Also, your point about steps is a good one. Time will tell if there is more to come from the senator.

THe MLK speech gets better every time I read it. As far as MLK's plan; I think there was considering the history that went before and his part in it. Basically, he was saying there as of now do not assume the issues relating to discrimination are temporary there is more of the same to come.

This paragraph is a warning about assuming the issue will blow over & it will continue - the time is now
"We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of Now. "

This paragraph about using peaceful non violence
"But there is something that I must say to my people, who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice: In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds."

This paragraph about unity with whites
"
The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to a distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny."

This paragraph on how the individuals who suffer under discrimination should think about it.
"
I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations."

While it might have been more eloquent, Obama's speach was just a longer version of Rodney King's, "Can't we all just get along?". Typical for Mr. Obama, he feels it's sufficient to start a dialogue, but does not choose to make any bold suggestions for action. MLK's speech did not need a "plan", as he was not running for president.

Well, you could download and read his blueprint - it's 64 pages

Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Issues

As an Illinois resident, I can tell you that talk-with-no-action has been Obama's strategy while representing the state - worked on some "black" issues while a state senator, but basically has NO track record whatsoever, other than running for office.

According to the NY Times he sponsored over 800 bills in Illinois...

The New York Times > U.S. > Image > Obama’s Record in the Illinois Senate

Barack's shallow, liberal, record, and long-time membership in a "black liberation" church do not bode well for someone who can get things done for all Americans. And his nicey talk will not impress the leaders of Iran and South Korea.

That's my 2 cents. (OK, more like 25 cents)

This is a great example of the motivation that politics provides. Your first post in the seven months you've been a member! :eek:

Interesting perspective thanks for sharing it.

In case people have forgetton the sex scandal involved Jerri Ryan of Star Trek Next Generation fame.

jeri_ryan_01.jpg

Who said political history is dull? :cool:

Jerri Ryan what a hot looking lady. I guess if one is going to get involved in a hot sex scandal she would be the ONE.

YouTube - Bread - Make It With You

GOD BLESS US ALL
WAGS

McCain a Warmonger? Look people I am as Liberal as they come, do you guys remeber 9/11? Do you understand that bin laden is still free? Iraq is a place that if you want to continue the american dream of endless gasoline from the middle east well you will need an american police station in that part of the world. If you are ready to wean ourselves from their oil well then we can leave!

I have no desire to continue the so-called American dream (nightmare?) of endless gasoline from the middle east. I'm all for weaning ourselves of their oil and getting the heck out of dodge...er, Baghdad.

My family and I do what we can to cut our consumption of gasoline, propane, and electricity. We're in the most expensive place in the nation when it comes to gasoline prices and utilities, but our usage is very low. So we're spending on average per month: $55 for gasoline, $75 for electricity (our rate is 36 cents per kw/h), and $25 for propane.

If we all cut back it would help reduce our dependency. Developing alternative energy sources is the next logical step, but the vast majority of Americans seem to somehow manage to fail at doing what is logical and practical. So, we'll see.

I have no desire to continue the so-called American dream (nightmare?) of endless gasoline from the middle east. I'm all for weaning ourselves of their oil and getting the heck out of dodge...er, Baghdad.

My family and I do what we can to cut our consumption of gasoline, propane, and electricity. We're in the most expensive place in the nation when it comes to gasoline prices and utilities, but our usage is very low. So we're spending on average per month: $55 for gasoline, $75 for electricity (our rate is 36 cents per kw/h), and $25 for propane.

If we all cut back it would help reduce our dependency. Developing alternative energy sources is the next logical step, but the vast majority of Americans seem to somehow manage to fail at doing what is logical and practical. So, we'll see.

Zoey, it isn't nearly as easy for the rest of the country to cut back on energy consumption as it is for those of us lucky enough to live in Hawaii.
We don't have to heat our homes or use AC, plus we live on an island so distances are shorter. I find a lot of people in Hawaii pat themselves for on the back for being green; by driving a Hybrid, and not using AC, but don't give a moments thought to flying back and forth to the mainland several times a year. It is roughly 100 gallons of gas/jet for roundtrip mainland flight, so a family of four who takes one flight to the west coast and one flight to east coast a year, has the same carbon foot print as family with a monster SUV.

I'm no saint, I should replace my water heater with a solar heater, but without the benefit of tax credits it is not at all cost effective so I don't.

According to the NY Times he sponsored over 800 bills in Illinois...

The New York Times > U.S. > Image > Obama’s Record in the Illinois Senate

Readers should feel free to follow this link - thanks Dixonge for posting it.
As I'd posted previously, Obama did not make a name for himself while a state senator. The bills that passed, according to the NY Times article include health care for those barely above poverty, a STUDY about welfare success rates, job training for those on Federal aid, helping ex-cons get back into the work force, videotaped interrogations, a STUDY on the race of people stopped for traffice violations, creating an office of immigrant assistance. I just lifted these from the Time article - and I think they underscore the point I made in my earlier post: Senator Obama's semi-obscure record is geared towards a specific community, and doesn't offer promise of working for ALL Americans.

Perhaps he would make a fantastic office holder in a cabinet position related to disenfranchised Americans - serve as their powerful voice in Washington. But as President of the entire U.S.?

Dixonge, I accept your comment about not posting sooner. I'll need to post more....on less controversial topics like 4% versus 5% annual withdrawals from my pot o' money. On the other hand, at least my post "legitimized" the photos of Jeri Ryan, above.:cool:

Zoey, it isn't nearly as easy for the rest of the country to cut back on energy consumption as it is for those of us lucky enough to live in Hawaii.
We don't have to heat our homes or use AC, plus we live on an island so distances are shorter. I find a lot of people in Hawaii pat themselves for on the back for being green; by driving a Hybrid, and not using AC, but don't give a moments thought to flying back and forth to the mainland several times a year. It is roughly 100 gallons of gas/jet for roundtrip mainland flight, so a family of four who takes one flight to the west coast and one flight to east coast a year, has the same carbon foot print as family with a monster SUV.

I'm no saint, I should replace my water heater with a solar heater, but without the benefit of tax credits it is not at all cost effective so I don't.

While I agree that it is overall warmer here in Hawaii, there are many areas that are too hot, or too cold and it would be very uncomfortable not to use AC, or heat. In the mountains the temps are very cool and this winter was an especially cold one. We're at sea level and it was quite uncomfortably cold in the mornings. I would have hated to be at higher elevations this past winter.

I personally suffer from the heat in the summer and we're on the windward side, which is wetter and cooler. The leeward side of the islands would be too hot for me to tolerate and many, if not most people, use AC in the summer. Even though some days I feel sick from the heat, I've resisted buying even a small window-type air conditioner. I've definitely been tempted, though.

So, it isn't as easy as you make it sound to go without heat, or AC in Hawaii. I doubt that most people on the mainland turn their thermostats down to in the 40's or 50's, but that's how cold it was in some homes here this past winter. The inside temp in my house, at sea level, was in the low 60's and I doubt that most people turn their thermostats down even that low on the mainland. When I lived there, we were urged to turn our thermostats down to 68 degrees and most people didn't do it.

As for being on an island, so distances are shorter. I don't find that to be true. Many people drive 2-3 hours to get to work, or to go to a doctor, or to get to a discount store. That it's inconvenient, is one of the major complaints that people have about living here. When I lived on the mainland I pretty much stayed in the town I lived in and it was easier to do so, since we had everything we needed.

Most of the things we do to cut back on energy consumption anyone can do anywhere. Things like driving less. We consolidate errands, so we don't have to make multiple trips. Anyone can do that.

As for electrical use we turn off lights when we leave a room, unplug electrical devices when not in use, changed to CFL light bulbs, don't use the dishwasher (do dishes by hand), don't use clothes dryer (we hang them on a line under our house since it rains a lot here), cut back on computer use, watch very little TV, and when we needed a new refrigerator we purchased a smaller and more energy efficient one (this alone cuts our kw usage by quite a bit).

We don't take trips to the mainland, ever, let alone several times per year. We can't afford a solar water heater, or a hybrid car (but, don't drive an SUV). So, we just do what we can to reduce our usage and it's working out pretty well.

The point is that there are many things Americans can do to reduce their usage of gasoline, electricity, natural gas, propane, etc. that if everyone did would make us less dependent on foreign oil.

Buzzbear wrote:
He was NOT really known while he was a state senator. Those outside of our state may not be familiar with the fact that he won the Senate election when the presumptive winner had to drop out of the race due to a sex scandal. He was preceded to the Senate by another black Illinois Senator, Carol Mosely Braun, whose ethnicity was also called out on a regular basis, and who likewise tried for "all the marbles" (without a track record), and disappeared.

Barack Obama was preceded in his US Senate seat by Peter Fitzgerald, a white guy. Fitzgerald beat Carol Mosley Braun in the 1998 election. He retired in 2004 and Barack won his seat. The information is on wikipedia.

Not sure what the speech says about his leadership ... but it reveals why he won't place his hand on heart during the Pledge of Allegiance AND why Michelle is "embarassed" to be an American. 20 years of the Reverends kool-aid.

I'll predict he won't recover from this. If the Dems won't solve it the primary, the republicans will have a field day in the general election.

Buzzbear wrote:

Barack Obama was preceded in his US Senate seat by Peter Fitzgerald, a white guy. Fitzgerald beat Carol Mosley Braun in the 1998 election. He retired in 2004 and Barack won his seat. The information is on wikipedia.
Thanks Drago - didn't mean to imply that Obama directly followed Braun. Just that they were both encouraged by their party to seek higher office, a bit prematurely. Both have their ethnicity prominently called out in stories about them (From Wikipedia, "She was the first, and to date, the only, African American woman elected to the United States Senate, the first African-American senator to be elected as a Democrat.")

After dropping out of the presential race, Braun dealt with a few scandals, and is now a lawyer and sells organic food products, per Wikipedia. Ambassador Organics : Welcome - Biodynamic, Organic, Fair Trade Certified Coffee, Tea and Spices

So how does this relate to ER? From lurking on this site, I get the sense that those who are happily ER'd listened to their own internal barometer, and knew what made them happy while working, knew when it was "time" to check out, and now know what makes them happy in ER. Listening to what others say you're "destined for" can mess you up, losing the respect of many in the process.

On the other hand, it may lead you to sell organic teas, maybe a good thing.

How is that for a forced connection between the Senator and ER?

Buzzbear wrote:

Barrack got 3 lucky breaks. First running for Fitzgerald's open seat.

Second he ran against investment banker Jack Ryan who was potentially a reasonable candidate. Jack got in trouble for some dirty campaign tricks.. But what really destroyed is campaign is this the release of his divorcee proceding against the beautiful actress Jeri Ryan.

This is the juicy part (hey I am not proud.)

Ms. Ryan, who appeared in ''Star Trek: Voyager'' and is a star of the television series ''Boston Public,'' said in a declaration dated June 9, 2000, that when she and her husband were in New York, she refused to enter one club with him because ''it had mattresses and cubicles,'' and that he then took her to ''a bizarre club with cages, whips and other apparatus hanging from the ceiling.''
''Respondent wanted me to have sex with him there, with another couple watching,'' she said, referring to her husband. ''I refused. Respondent asked me to perform a sexual activity upon him, and he specifically asked other people to watch. I was very upset. We left the club and respondent apologized, said that I was right and he would never insist that I go to a club again. He promised it was out of his system.''
''Then during a trip to Paris,'' the document said, ''he took me to a sex club in Paris, without telling me where we were going. I told him I thought it was out of his system. I told him he had promised me we would never go. People were having sex everywhere. I cried, I was physically ill. Respondent became very upset with me, and told me it was not a 'turn-on' for me to cry. I could not get over the incident, and my loss of any attraction to him as a result.''

At this point Jack Ryan lost pretty much everybody's vote and he dropped out. (My god dude, it isn't enough to have Jeri Ryan as arm candy at public events, you want to have sex with her in public.:rant:)

Barack's third piece of good luck, was the Illinois Republican party desperate for a candidate imported former Amb. Alan Keyes. Mr. Keyes, was a basically a carpet bagger (being from Maryland). The good news was Mr Keyes is black, and an excellent speaker. The bad news is what Alan says is cross between Reverend Wright and Ron Paul. "We should replace all taxes with tarrifs and custom duties just like the founding fathers intended." Alan Keyes recently left the Republican party and is running for the nomination of the Constitution Party which got .12% of the vote last election. Barack won in a landslide

We'll see in the general election if Barack has the goods. I lean McCain, I've always liked him, but I'm open to Obama. I frankly couldn't be much happier with the candidates, and that's the first time in my adult life I can say that. Considering who some of the 16 or so candidates were who started out this process ( what, a year ago?) I think we are pretty lucky to end up with these two.*

*Hillary is all but mathematically eliminated, the media just likes a good story.

We'll see in the general election if Barack has the goods. I lean McCain, I've always liked him, but I'm open to Obama. I frankly couldn't be much happier with the candidates, and that's the first time in my adult life I can say that. Considering who some of the 16 or so candidates were who started out this process ( what, a year ago?) I think we are pretty lucky to end up with these two.*

*Hillary is all but mathematically eliminated, the media just likes a good story.

I couldn't agree more about being happy with candidates, what a pleasure to pick between two men of strong character. As for Hillary, she is a Clinton, don't count her out. You probably thought the Glen Close was dead at the end of Fatal Attractions (I knew better)

Obama just seems so "smarmy" to me -he's just good at it so it takes a while to notice

As I'd posted previously, Obama did not make a name for himself while a state senator. The bills that passed, according to the NY Times article include health care for those barely above poverty, a STUDY about welfare success rates, job training for those on Federal aid, helping ex-cons get back into the work force, videotaped interrogations, a STUDY on the race of people stopped for traffice violations, creating an office of immigrant assistance. I just lifted these from the Time article - and I think they underscore the point I made in my earlier post: Senator Obama's semi-obscure record is geared towards a specific community, and doesn't offer promise of working for ALL Americans.

So only blacks are in need of health care, are struggling with poverty, are on welfare or federal aid, are ex-cons, get interrogated and are immigrants? Those categories don't apply to other races? Those bills wouldn't apply to ALL Americans?

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Sounds great to me. When do we start?

Is that really the engine room of the Enterprise?

The same could have said about the Dean-scream (freedom of speech ... link some women in burkas) ... but it ended for him on that night. Voters simply expect better (than 20 year's of spiritual guidance from the likes of Reverend Wright) - from the leader of the free world.

Last edited:
The same could have said about the Dean-scream (freedom of speech ... link some women in burkas) ... but it ended for him on that night. Voters simply expect better (than 20 year's of spiritual guidance from the likes of Reverend Wright) - from the leader of the free world.

I find the preceived outrage over Obama's relationship with Reverend Wright a bit too much for me to stomach; I come from a different vantage point about this -- I'll just leave it at that. However, this just goes to show me how we really have different perspectives on this perhaps based on differing racial backgrounds, which is the point of a recent article in yesterday's Washington Post.

Back
Top Bottom