What type of tablet (non iPad) do you have?

What type of (non-iPad) tablet do you have?

• Full size with WiFi

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • Full size with WiFi + 3G/4G/cellular

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Mini with WiFi

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Mini with WiFi + 3G/4G/cellular

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters
Got a new Nexus 7 (wifi only) for xmas to replace my old B&W Kindle. My old eyes really need the backlight to read in the car on those long commutes. Responsive, beautiful display, software upgradeable, and the 32GB of memory is plenty for me. I've got 3G on my phone if I need to pick up email or do some googling on the run.

I have a 22" tablet.

Well, it's a combination touchscreen monitor and Android device, and there is no battery so calling it a tablet probably isn't fair. It can do WiFi and Ethernet as an Android.

It seemed like a neat idea because I had been thinking about a touchscreen monitor for my Win8 desktop and was also considering buying an Android for mostly around-the-house stuff. First thing I did was to set it on the coffee table and try to install Netflix and Pandora from Google Play store. Fail and fail. For some reason some apps--the ones I wanted the most--won't install on this device. I was waiting to see if the mfr was going to do something about that, but apparently they aren't. It's possible to install a different app store and get Netflix and Pandora from there, and I just got around to doing that today.

Its size isn't conducive to living room use, so it's been sitting on the dining table for a month or so. Curiously I kind of like it there, but I could probably do just as well with a 10" tablet.

I haven't put it on my Win8 box yet. At one point I had thought it would be neat to use Android for quick stuff and only boot up Win8 when needed, but Win8 starts so fast and has comparable apps there's really no point in having Android available on my desktop monitor.

I'll eventually put it on Win8 to try out full-size touch screen, but for now I think I'll leave it on my table where it's currently hooked up to my stereo and playing Pandora. And now that I have Netflix installed on it, I might find other places in the house to use it.

I don't think I'd recommend it. The app scarcity and sometimes-slow interface and the larger-than-everything-else-so-some-apps-look-weird makes it a bit clunky to use as an Android. I have yet to see how it behaves as a touchscreen monitor.

I don't think a 7" tablet would be big enough for me, and it's a bit close to the phone size I want. I think I'll eventually have about a 4.5" - 5" phone and a 10" WiFi-only tablet, both Android.

First thing I did was to set it on the coffee table and try to install Netflix and Pandora from Google Play store. Fail and fail. For some reason some apps--the ones I wanted the most--won't install on this device. I was waiting to see if the mfr was going to do something about that, but apparently they aren't. It's possible to install a different app store and get Netflix and Pandora from there, and I just got around to doing that today.

Jim, I saw similar complaints in the customer reviews at Amazon. ViewSonic Support replied, offering suggestions of other sources to download both Pandora and Netflix. Amazon.com: ViewSonic VSD220 22-Inch (21.5-Inch Vis) Full HD 1080p LED Touchscreen Smart Display and Android 4.0 ICS All-in-One: Computers & Accessories

Me: HP Touchpad dual boot WebOS & Android, Kindle Fire 7"
DW: IPAD 3
DS9: Ipad 2

Don't use Kindle Fire much anymore. DW had a Kindle Fire but quit using it after she got the Ipad. DS9 used DW and My Kindle Fires until he got his Ipad.
DS16 does not have a tablet but uses his MacBook Pro.

"have a Samsung Galaxy S II - technically that's a smartphone but I mainly use it as a mini tablet and almost never as a phone. My 3g/4g cellular plan is from Ting which is great because in months where I don't use voice or data, I don't get charged for it. If I go the whole month with no phone calls, and only using wi-fi instead of 3g/4g, my Ting monthly bill is only about $6. If I use some voice and some 3g/4g data, that's about $12/month."

what or who is ting?

You can read about the plan details on their site:
http://ting.com

In short, I think Ting is great if you use small amounts of voice or data. If you're a heavy user then I think other service providers would be cheaper.

I just dug out my Sprint smart phone usage data and entered it into the ting calculator. I must be a heavy user, as Ting would not consistently save me any $$. :(

omni

It is an ainol novo 7 aurora II, got if off amazon on sale with a discount coupon. I think this model has been upgraded to a newer version called crystal.

Ainol Novo 7 Crystal 7 Inch Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Tablet Dual Core 1.5GHz 1GB RAM White

has google play for apps.

Seems a little thick, but for the price you can't beat it by much.

I've been toying with buying a table for the last 2+ years (ever since the iPad 1 came out), but held off because I really wanted a smaller form factor with expandable memory. What hacks me off about many manufacturers is built-in obsolescence. Back in 2004, I bought a Dell Axim PDA (before the advent of smart phones with large screens). It had an ARM processor, 3.5 inch QVGA screen, wi-fi (802.11b) Windows Mobile, Word for WM, Adobe Acrobat for WM, Windows MediaPlayer, etc..., an SD slot and a Flash memory slot (for a total capacity of somewhere around 32 gb). I used it until around 2010 when everyone switched to WPA2 encryption for wi-fi and it wasn't compatible anymore.

These days I have an iPhone with unlimited data (and wi-fi) that can play movies, music, etc... so there is no immediate need for another entertainment-oriented device. That said, a larger screen (i.e. 7 inches) would be perfect for traveling, particularly if paired with a nice portable keyboard. The last couple of years have been dedicated to the 9.7 inch form factor, but 2013 seems to be the year for the 7 inch tablet. Now it's just a matter of time until prices drop as more and more competitive models hit the street.

(As the "iPad-type" poll and thread has been getting some interest lately, I'm posting here simply to reactivate this thread as well.)

omni

I reluctantly bought a Nexus 7, for a bunch of trips that are along time away from home. Didn't feel like lugging a laptop around. Because I don't have cell service at home I bought the wifi 32GB. I use Quicken 13 and Quicken synced flawlessly with the Nexus. Since I already use Gmail, Gdocs, Gdrive, and Gmaps/earth. I can use the cloud for a bunch of my computing needs with enough storage when not connected. Kindle works fine with my Amazon account, and with 32 GB I can load a lot of music and books once out of wifi range. Also the GPS works fine with maps I can download to the unit, and store to use in real time.

The only tablets I have say BAYER on them. Yes, I am a Luddite.

We bought a Kindle Fire 8.9 a couple weeks ago. It's ok. I don;t like typing on it but it is great for viewing videos and reading books.

Still can't figure out how to get the ER.org app. It doesn't seem to show up at the Kindle App store.

Is there a version for the Kindle or even Android?

A lot of non-iPad tablets aren't getting a lot of the apps. that iPad gets.

That's the tradeoff for the lower prices of the other models.

The VOIP company I use had a blog about this, as they had their iPhone app out, but kept hitting delays in getting the Android version of that app done.

They said that there are a relatively limited number of iPad/iPhone versions, but so many different hardware details on the various Android phones/tablets - it made it much tougher to get the Android version working.

-ERD50

We bought a Kindle Fire 8.9 a couple weeks ago. It's ok. I don;t like typing on it but it is great for viewing videos and reading books.

Still can't figure out how to get the ER.org app. It doesn't seem to show up at the Kindle App store.

i bought this kindle 8.9 case with real keyboard-case stands the kindle up and keyboard wirelessly connects works great

Amazon.com: Belkin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio Case for Kindle Fire HD 8.9": Kindle Store

also- i have had the same problem at another site that i loaded the app. for some reasons some specialty apps do'nt work however did you look for it in the cloud setting-sometimes they go there and you have to pluck them from the cloud

Last edited:

Attachments

• image-2942696538.jpg
    image-2942696538.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 46
Oh, and I have a Kindle Fire, which is handy but a lot of Android sw isn't available for it...

Oh, and I have a Kindle Fire, which is handy but a lot of Android sw isn't available for it...

there a free book in the kindle store Mastering the Kindle fire Hd

its the kindle fire hd essential users guide

by arrianna frances.

its free.

one of the sections tells you how to get the kindle to accept all android apps.

there a free book in the kindle store Mastering the Kindle fire Hd

its the kindle fire hd essential users guide

by arrianna frances.

its free.

one of the sections tells you how to get the kindle to accept all android apps.

Gracias!

On the ER Forum app for Android right now typing this.

Samsung Galaxy 2 7", wifi only, $180 a month or so ago. I also got a $26 wifi router. Very happy with them. Great for games, media consumption (bought a bunch of 16G microSDs also).

I am breaking the rules of this thread by saying this, but I returned an Ipad mini today. The screen was too small, the font wasn't sharp enough and it took forever to charge. This was my first tablet. I am going to do some more research. Perhaps I will buy a smart phone first, I've never owned a smart phone.

I am really behind the times.

Back
Top Bottom