What was your worse car you ever had?

1958 VW bug bought out of college in 1965. Seattle. Those hills are not the place combined with youth. Rebuilt the engine four times in two years. Bought a new 1968 Datsun two seat roadster. Start of my sports car period.

1993 Dodge Shadow bought used from Enterprise - with an extended warrantee. Spent a lot of time at the dealer over the next 3 years.

Bought a new 1999 Chevy pickup which ran 'good'. :D

heh heh heh - have an old fogey 2006 Chevy Equinox now - so so. :cool: Take 4-6 cross country trips a year 2-3k miles each.

Since I only buy used cars, cheap, except for the only new 1972 super beetle, they are other men's junk, my treasure.

None were really horrid, the biggest headache was a mid seventies Ford van. But not much to expect for $300.

Last 8 years been Jaguars, on my second one, just sold my 88 with 220000 miles, to a guy who flagged me down and wanted to know if I want to sell it. Latest is a 95 XJ6. Next to my old Merceds 450, the Jags are the most complicated ones, with the 88 winning the electrician's nightmare award.

But nothing beats the Jag's handling or the ride. I'm looking to buy an XJR which is the suprecharged version of my current one.

None of my car's or pickups or suburban has ever stranded me. In final analysis it would have to be the old Ford van as the worst.

Best and worst was the same car...my Mom's 1969 Mustang convertible. She bought it new, and then in 1974 bought another Mustang convertible.

Remember I am a woman as you read my story...;)

She let my older brothers drive the 1969 to w*rk until they could get their own cars. It had a 302 cubic inch, 8 cylinder engine that would get you from zero to 60 mph PDQ, so I can imagine what my brothers did to it. :nonono:

Little by little the car began to deteriorate...rusting out rear quarter panels, really LOUD tappet noise from engine, floors behind the bucket seats rotting through. By the time I needed a car for living off campus at college, this car was a real beater. The passenger bucket seat bracket broke, so I used a log to prop the seat into an upright position. If you rolled down the windows, they would not come back up. I had those door panels open a lot, getting the windows back on the up/down mechanism. The rear window in the convertible top cracked, so I got a piece of plexiglas cut and installed it myself. The muffler and exhaust pipe was held up by a very artfully arranged metal coat hanger wire system. :LOL:
I used fiberglas screen, glossy magazine paper and Bondo to repair the rust holes in the front quarter panels. I changed the belts as needed.

This car looked and sounded like hell. But it was a MUSTANG!
It faithfully carried me between my off campus apartment and campus, in the deep snow and bitter cold of Oneonta NY in 1977-8. Something shorted, and I had to replace the starter, solenoid, alternator and the battery. I paid my roommate's father (owned a repair garage) to do the brakes. I did the shocks myself.

The car held up after I gave it back to Mom. She continued to drive it as a spare car for several more years after I bought my own 67 Dodge Dart.

My Mom towed it with a UHaul truck and front wheel tow device to my house upstate in the mid 1980s, thinking I would want to have it restored. No way was that possible or even any sort of good ROI. The body looked like Swiss cheese at this point. :( The frame was solid.
I stored it for 1 year in a local old cannery building and finally sold it for parts to a local guy here in East Nowhere. He needed interior parts for his Mustang. He could not believe his good luck to get a "parts queen" for only $600.

It still started, stopped and steered just fine and had valid inspection and registration stickers. What a tough guy that car was! :cool:

It was the best car for me because I learned how to be an auto mechanic out of necessity. I had no money to have proper repairs done, so the DIY plan kicked in. I had lots of guy friends to help me diagnose problems, but I bought the parts and turned the wrenches myself under their directions. :D

I am now the proud owner a 2005 black convertible Mustang. She never gets a speck of road salt on her. It is indeed a great memory sparking car when I drive it. :smitten:

An old/used Chey Nova that didn't need a key to start. After a tune up, attempting to take it to college, the car konked out along the way. After that, sold car.

1970's era VW Rabbit with manual transmission. It had a body water leak that followed the wiring into the fuse box, which was in a continual process of self destruction. I had to make sure to leave it in neutral because sometimes when I came out to start it, it was already running. The engine valves also burned out way early and I had to replace them as well as the clutch. What a contrast to the beetles I had previously owned and loved.

I wonder if that has anything to do with why my most hated car, an early 80's Rabbit, caught fire several times. This sometimes happened when I was driving and once, the neighbor woke me up in the morning, because smoke was coming out of the engine. It had gotten so hot that it melted the paint on the hood.

1983 Chrysler E-Class. I had a 75 Buick estate wagon that gave up the ghost in 1984 (unexpectedly - the tranny after pulling a travel trailer all over the US and Canada) and I had no money for a replacement so shopped around for cheap family car. And it was cheap and unreliable. It had one of those computers that kept telling me that a door was a jar. Definitely a POS.

Replaced it with a Magic Wagon in 1988 and that was a great car (last of the great Magic Wagons).

Best car was a toss up between a 94 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI and a 95 BMW 318i Convertible. Although our 1993 Explorer is still going strong with 90,000 miles on the clock. One day it might make the list (except for brakes). It is cheap to repair here in Mexico because there are so many of them that used parts are plentiful and cheap. I fully expect that we will be driving it 10 years from now!

1983 Chrysler E-Class. I had a 75 Buick estate wagon that gave up the ghost in 1984 (unexpectedly - the tranny after pulling a travel trailer all over the US and Canada) and I had no money for a replacement so shopped around for cheap family car. And it was cheap and unreliable. It had one of those computers that kept telling me that a door was a jar. Definitely a POS.

Replaced it with a Magic Wagon in 1988 and that was a great car (last of the great Magic Wagons).

Best car was a toss up between a 94 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI and a 95 BMW 318i Convertible. Although our 1993 Explorer is still going strong with 90,000 miles on the clock. One day it might make the list (except for brakes). It is cheap to repair here in Mexico because there are so many of them that used parts are plentiful and cheap. I fully expect that we will be driving it 10 years from now!

1994 Bonneville SSEi, I had one was a demo way back then............that car was FAST!!!

...Last 8 years been Jaguars, on my second one, just sold my 88 with 220000 miles, to a guy who flagged me down and wanted to know if I want to sell it. Latest is a 95 XJ6. Next to my old Merceds 450, the Jags are the most complicated ones, with the 88 winning the electrician's nightmare award...
My neighbor in the 90s had a Jaguar. He said that really the mechanic had it more than he did!

It is tough to love such a car!

Right, they are now owned by Geely - Chinese.
Soon to be sold at Wally-World :LOL: ...

Actually, the 850 was designed by a Swede and was manufactured while under the Ford banner. However it was replaced by the S80 during their decade of ownership.

Right, they are now owned by Geely - Chinese.
Soon to be sold at Wally-World :LOL: ...

Actually, the 850 was designed by a Swede and was manufactured while under the Ford banner. However it was replaced by the S80 during their decade of ownership of Volvo Car (not to be confused with Volvo AB).

I've had some clunkers, but I think the worst was a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am. I gave my car to my momma and daddy and took their Grand Am as I knew it was difficult for them to get in and out of it. Little did I know what they had been putting up with....

The gas gauge worked backwards...the longer I drove it, the gauge would make its way to 'full'. The doors squeaked and the driver's side window wouldn't work half the time. When I turned the motor off, it sounded like a jet plane landing, then would eventually make a hissing noise that slowly faded away. Once when I was getting off duty at the police department, I got in the car, pulled out of the parking space and made my way to the street. When I stepped on the brakes, a sound came out from underneath the car that sounded like a bomb.

Several officers ran to me with guns drawn....they just knew something horrible had happened.

I drove that POS for a year....I didn't want to buy another car, but I just couldn't take it any longer. :LOL:

Of the many funny posts, this one is the best.

We've had pretty good luck with cars. I am disappointed when engine work is needed at less than 100k.
Worst was the Mazda pickup. Paint started pealing off in large sheets at about 80k. Manual tranny and engine started to go at about 125k.

Birch bark covering the rust holes reminds me of "The Golden Flyer"
1972 Plymouth Cornet station wagon. "Three on the tree" stick. Good car and the only one to have a name. Use a real estate sign to cover the rust hole under the gas pedal. Front fenders all around the headlights rusted out early on. I expertly repaired them with aluminum siding and spray paint. You can't imagine the touch of class that bondo and grey primer lend to the sleek exterior. Had to drive around with my 18' red canoe straped to the roof for a year because there was no where to store it at the apartment.
Slant six engine could not be killed. I drove it for 100+ miles one time with nothing but steam cooling the engine. I was towing a trailer with all of my belongings in it at the time. Temp was in the upper 90s. No ill effects.

Free to canoe

Wow, we've had a few of these POS cars--the Vega my parents bought new that was total crap, the 1981 Rabbit convertible that left me stranded all the time, and a couple of those Buicks and Oldmobiles.
Like Andre, I wind up with cheap old POS cars as my daily drivers (right now we've got early 90s Buick LeSabre and Oldsmobile Cutlasses in the driveway). However, the only car I truly hated for the maliciousness of its malfunctions was the Jaguar I'd drive occasionally that belonged to my boss (glutton for punishment that he was, he also owned a Lotus Esprit). That Jag was a beauty, but it never made it from A to B without some sort of drama.

Great stories. Keep 'em coming. My 16 year old Honda looks better with every post. :angel:

All of my GM cars. A used 82, 87, and 88 Monte Carlo SS, a used Citation, and a new Grand Prix. All of them required a lot of maintenance and replacement parts. The Grand Prix was in the dealership quarterly for a laundry list of warranty work.

I wonder if that has anything to do with why my most hated car, an early 80's Rabbit, caught fire several times. This sometimes happened when I was driving and once, the neighbor woke me up in the morning, because smoke was coming out of the engine. It had gotten so hot that it melted the paint on the hood.

Several Rabbit fuse box stories - It was a real common problem when I was wrenching on them - water would get by the windscreen rubber and go directly to the fuse box where it would cause nifty shorts between a couple circuit boards AIR.

And UncleMick had a '68 Datsun roadster? Think that's after the Fairlady roadster, which wasn't a fierce enough name for great sales. My first car out of the Navy was a Datsun SPL1600 with the MG-esq twin SU-ish carbs that you balanced by holding a hose to your ear and in front of each carb to set the volume of airflow. Ran three stacked head gaskets on that car at the end due to warping and resurfacing the head repeatedly. A great car - had a rear axle that would drift out and disengage from the rear end, leaving one with a revving engine, a spinning driveshaft, and no motivation. No problem though - jack up one side, engage axle splines, deliver mighty kick to wheel center, zoom for the next corners. Great car!

i have had a lot of bad cars. 1974 VW 412 was the worst. Fuel injector sensors left me dead by the side of the road four times, most notably the second day that I had the car. Had it two years and dumped it.

Others: 1979 Chevette, 1976 Plymouth Volare, 1985 Ford LTD II station wagon, 1991 Mazda MPV.....

1985 VW Westfalia camper van. I almost feel that that is enough to ssay without further commentary. Failures, let me count the ways...Eventually replaced the VW engine with a Subaru engine. Still in the family, my son is a pretty good VW mechanic so it arrived where it needs to be.

The worst car I have ever owned was a 1972 Chrysler Newport with a 400 C.I. engine. Had to refill both gas and oil every 200 miles. We bought that car new. We traded in a 1965 Chrysler Newport with a 383 C.I. engine. This was one of the best cars we have owned. We have not owned a Chrysler product since we got rid of the '72 Newport.

During my long career with Megacorp, I drove both Ford Pintos and Chevrolet Chevettes as company cars. Only the finest at Megacorp! Strangely, I rather enjoyed both of those. Both were very reliable, economical and tough as nails.

Great stories. Keep 'em coming. My 16 year old Honda looks better with every post. :angel:
One after one, the other women succumbed to the new car smell, but not you. And you even went to some car dealers, as I remember, and were able to walk away. You are my heroine!

Dodge, early 70s. a real bummer.

I just sold the worst car I ever owned. 1996 Volkswagen Golf with only 62k miles on it. The "check engine" light was on every month after the first year. The mechanic could never keep it off for more than a few weeks after diagnosing the problem because it was always something else. By the time I got rid of it last month, the air conditioner was shot, there was a significant oil leak under the engine and it would stall if you drove on the highway in the rain.

1974 Renault 16TS - what a POS. It had a violent steering wheel shimmy which started at 55mph and felt as though I was holding on to a jackhammer. The dealer lied shamelessly "French cars are meant to be shod with french tires - buy michelins" , and it was only when I found an old codger who actually knew something about renaults and reset the suspension settings/toein that the steering wheel shimmy went away.

This car kept me in a perpetual state of poverty, there were always at least two things broken. The driver's seat broke free from it's mountings while I was driving in town, the gearbox jammed several times over a weekend and a few days later it snapped a spline in the gearbox - that solved the gearbox jamming problem. The old codger remarked upon the fact that the steering wheel had been mounted upside down (that explained why I couldn't see all the gauges), there was the sparkplug that broke off in the engine block, it chewed tires (replaced the first set at 10,000 miles) and to add to my misery, Renault pulled out of the country 6 months after I bought the car.

I was sorely tempted at times to throw a lit match into the gastank. The muffler would rattle and I would take it in to have the mounting bracket tightened and the exhaust manifold would become loose, rinse and repeat. I suspect that prior to renault pulling out , they probably laid off the quality control people on the assembly line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom