What will the the future of www.early-retirement.org ?

Very few on this board speak English. Most speak American. Now that I think about it some more. I have not heard anyone on this board speak. There are many prolific writers.

I look at the posts that I don't understand as an excuse to do research an try and understand either the riddle or the analysis. Sometimes they are one and the same.
They definitely spell American, which makes searching more consistent.

Wow, the record is broken in more than one language.

E-R.org is fortunate to have so many members who add a lot to the boards with a lot of different interests. Never know what we're going to read here, for most of them!

This forum is riddled with posts I don't understand, and they are mostly in English. I will defend to the ... your right to post them as long as they do not trample the community rules. Say, are you my long-lost frere? :greetings10:

Actually, per the forum rules, "The language of this forum is English."

So I think all the excessive posts in French should be moderated. Oui?

A song that throws me into a funk of memories is "Both Sides Now."

CJ, I forgot to mention that it was also one of my favorite songs growing up. I have not heard it on the media for a long time. I cannot even remember whose rendition that I heard. Perhaps Frank Sinatra? A quick look on Wikipedia showed so many singers have recorded this song. Anyway, I have included a youtube link to a presentation by Joni Mitchell, the Canadian author of the song (whom I learned of 5 minutes ago).

I've also leaned that there are French lyrics for it. The French actually "imported" many American and English songs, but more on this later.

PS. I've got to remember to look at this forum "from both sides now".

YouTube - Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now (Live, 1970)

Both Sides Now is also one my favorite songs of all time. Joni was amazing. Interesting you mentioned Sinatra NW-Bound. My dear departed dad was a big Sinatra fan and I grew up hearing his music. Never heard his version of this song though.

I've also leaned that there are French lyrics for it. The French actually "imported" many American and English songs, but more on this later.

PS. I've got to remember to look at this forum "from both sides now".

Good way to look at the forum, NW-Bound.

I hate that song, sort of, I cagily said it puts me a funk of memories. It brings me back to age 19: a carload of us were headed back to the dorm after a movie, a female voice (I thought it was Mamma Cass but maybe not) came on the radio singing, “I really don’t know clouds.” Someone said, “I love that song” and turned it up to full volume. When it ended, we saw something on the side of the road that looked like a body. Turned out to be a young girl who did that every once in a while for attention. We waited about 45 minutes for an ambulance, it was Dec. in Wisconsin, and then hung around the hospital until about 3 a.m. because someone’s friend worked there and said he would try to find out what had happened, so we got all the juicy details over coffee.

My funkiest memories for some reason involve crazy people. Have a good evening, be sane!

Thanks, NW-Bound, and I would love to see the French take on “Both Sides Now.”

"You leave 'em laughing when you go
And if you care, don't let them know
Don't give yourself away" Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell

I always try to make people laugh, but I am of a melancholical personality.

My wife recently said that when she saw me smiling in front of my laptop, she could tell that I was on the forum.

And not just here, but I never could heed Joni's advice. I always gave myself away.

PS. The French version was recorded by Marie Laforêt (I have not found it yet), whom I only learned of recently. She also sung a French version of the song that sent me back to the time I was 17-yr old (described in my earlier post in this thread), the song I had been looking for ever since.

More consistent than we realise, especially if we're making some off-colour remarks.

First time I ever got in trouble in school was in second grade for spelling color with an ou. The teacher marked it wrong, and I argued so hard I got sent to the principal's office and they called my Mom. She pointed out it was a correct spelling in the dictionary, so why didn't they just mark it correct? Teacher - because I don't want him spelling in British. An early realization that authority figures can be wrong, and led me to a life of rebellion and bad attitude. :LOL:

First time I ever got in trouble in school was in second grade for spelling color with an ou. The teacher marked it wrong, and I argued so hard I got sent to the principal's office and they called my Mom. She pointed out it was a correct spelling in the dictionary, so why didn't they just mark it correct? Teacher - because I don't want him spelling in British. An early realization that authority figures can be wrong, and led me to a life of rebellion and bad attitude. :LOL:

The exact same thing happened to me, because my family spent a good deal of time outside of the country when I was young. So, I first learned to spell the word "colour" though I never spell it that way now. My mother said that if my teacher wanted me to spell it "color", that is how I should spell it. I learned from it that teachers can be wrong, and to just shut up if they didn't want to hear that. :LOL:

I was born in England and brought to the US as a child. I often had the center/ centre, rumour/rumor etc. fights, although the biggest battle came in 3rd grade, over whether Antarctica had the first "c" in it. (I was right, the teacher was wrong; it was the beginning of my disillusionment).

You are quite the rebel, now aren't you? :cool:....:D

I was born in England and brought to the US as a child. I often had the center/ centre, rumour/rumor etc. fights, although the biggest battle came in 3rd grade, over whether Antarctica had the first "c" in it. (I was right, the teacher was wrong; it was the beginning of my disillusionment).

I still have trouble with some of these spelling differences, such as "grey" which I seldom change to "gray" even though I know the latter is preferred here. Must be the rebel in me.

I had a sixth grade social studies teacher that pronounced Rio de Janeiro "Ree-oh day Juhn-eer-ee-oh" and I corrected her because I couldn't stand it after the four millionth time. She was very nice about it but I knew I was opening a can of worms.

I notice though that Centre is the new trendy word, especially Corporate Centre. I also had to correct a teacher who thought President Ford owned Ford Motors.

I still have trouble with some of these spelling differences, such as "grey" which I seldom change to "gray" even though I know the latter is preferred here. Must be the rebel in me.

I had a sixth grade social studies teacher that pronounced Rio de Janeiro "Ree-oh day Juhn-eer-ee-oh" and I corrected her because I couldn't stand it after the four millionth time. She was very nice about it but I knew I was opening a can of worms.

I have always refused to spell grey with an "a". It just looks too ugly.

The future of the ER forum lies with the moderators - not the owners or the content. And not even the ads, the trolls, the spammers, or rude/offensive people. (The latter are always in abundance on the internet & moderators will always be chasing them and members will always ignore them.)

However, when established members sense overmoderation - they move on.

When I checked “American Theatre” magazine out of the library, the librarian scoffed at the title.

The future of the ER forum lies with the moderators - not the owners or the content. And not even the ads, the trolls, the spammers, or rude/offensive people. (The latter are always in abundance on the internet & moderators will always be chasing them and members will always ignore them.)

However, when established members sense overmoderation - they move on.

Agree, it has happened before and will happen again. There is a fine line between over and under moderation........:)

Back
Top Bottom