Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

What a load of crap. I drive a mini-van because I can throw a 'load of crap' in it and get from point A to point B with half-way decent mpg's. 90% of the miles on it are me driving it alone. Wife drives a Taurus wagon because we can throw a 'load of crap' in it when we go to see the grand-kids. Never liked black or white vehicles because they showed dirt to easy, but (being a LBYM'er), color has always been the last thing on my list when selecting a vehicle. Poo-poo on you, Yahoo news.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Swagger Wagen
Old 09-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Swagger Wagen

You need to drive the swagger wagen. Then not only would you be able to haul 'a load of crap' but then you'd be hip too !

#!

Old 09-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #23
gone traveling

I guess I have a split personality, driving a Cadillac (higher-income people) and a Mustang GT convertible (they were more likely to have lower incomes).

Also, the Cadillac is silver-grey (cool, calm, may be a loner) and the Mustang red (full of energy and pizzazz).

What does that mean? For me, the article is bunk ...
Old 09-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #24
Administrator

Toyota Venza - - says, "This person is preparing for an interstate move!" The cargo space is so handy.

V6 - - says, "This person averaged 3600 miles/year for the past 10 years meaning gas mileage is not that relevant."

Magnetic Gray Metallic color - - - says, "This person told the salesman she didn't care about the color as long as it doesn't show dirt".

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #25

My 98 Taurus said, Cheap! My slightly used Camry made me 20 years younger, it does have too many doors though.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
Never liked black or white vehicles because they showed dirt to easy, but (being a LBYM'er), color has always been the last thing on my list when selecting a vehicle. Poo-poo on you, Yahoo news.
We always picked the most popular color we could stand. Anonymity has its virtues.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Electron Blue '03 Corvette convertible says it all about me... SMILING!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Old, old Honda with sun-damaged paint = closet millionaire.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #29

I love that Swagger Wagon video!
And Khan, we rented a Kia Rio in Canada and realized, much to our chagrin, that even though it was the lowest level economy vehicle available, it was still substantially nicer than our daily drivers.

The 1995 Black Saturn is now a parts car for the 1996 White Saturn daily driver and I am driving my nursing home-bound father-in-law's black 1992 Chevy pickup as the 1984 Silver Mercedes caught fire the last time I tried to crank it. The 1986 Black/Silver Chevy pickup truck is for sale; the 1976 Blue Airstream M/H is not.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
We always picked the most popular color we could stand. Anonymity has its virtues.
Trying to find my silver Camry Solara in huge parking lots was always such fun. Looking across the vast vista of thousands upon thousands of cars, it seemed like about half were silver Toyotas.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Trying to find my silver Camry Solara in huge parking lots was always such fun. Looking across the vast vista of thousands upon thousands of cars, it seemed like about half were silver Toyotas.
"Honey, which tan Honda minivan is ours?"

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #32

White Camry here says "driver who doesn't pay attention half the time to the road wants other people to watch out for her." Gregarious? Yes. Status seeker? Sure, if you consider someone who wears tennies and workout clothes all the time a status seeker.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I use the panic button on the remote as a pickup finder. After all, there are hardly ANY pickups in Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
"Honey, which tan Honda minivan is ours?"

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I love that Swagger Wagon video!
And Khan, we rented a Kia Rio in Canada and realized, much to our chagrin, that even though it was the lowest level economy vehicle available, it was still substantially nicer than our daily drivers.

The 1995 Black Saturn is now a parts car for the 1996 White Saturn daily driver and I am driving my nursing home-bound father-in-law's black 1992 Chevy pickup as the 1984 Silver Mercedes caught fire the last time I tried to crank it. The 1986 Black/Silver Chevy pickup truck is for sale; the 1976 Blue Airstream M/H is not.
Sarah, I hope you are taking advantage of the low insurance rates for antique cars.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #35

Silver BMW = Douche
Old 09-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Silver BMW = Douche
I guess you don't follow Dave Ramsey.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I guess you don't follow Dave Ramsey.
No, he lost me when he started talking about how easy it was to earn 12% a year with mutual funds.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #38

He forgot to mention the 8% Expense Ratio and the 12B1 fees.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Jeep Liberty doesn't make it in the article. It's way too small to work for the family like the larger SUVs do.

I always figured it meant I didn't want to drag my butt on the ground which is how I feel when I drive a regular car.

Audrey
Old 09-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Prius: "Recovering geek nuclear engineer", and "Don't you dare make me use my brakes!"

'97 Altima: "My values are reflected in my investment portfolio, not my depreciating assets."

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote