Which Honda 2023 CRV: hybrid vs gas ?

I see you're on the west coast. If by chance you're in WA state, they charge an additional $75 for your license tabs for a hybrid vehicle. For a state trying to encourage people to go green it seems counterproductive. But what do I know.

Haven’t been able to find underlying details. The “study” source, https://www.autoinsuranceez.com/, is a 1-10 employee company in Seattle with no known background. Great thing about the internet these days, you can find almost support for any argument if you accept any and all sources, like many do.

I’d bet not all manufacturers hybrids are equal in terms of fire risks. For example, a disproportionate number of the EV recalls related to fires have traced back to LG batteries. To say all hybrid cars are a greater fire risk than ICE or EV hasn’t been shown, I’d trust Toyota or Honda hybrids more than other makes, do you have evidence to the contrary?

Last edited:
... ERD50: Very interesting to hear that the environmental factor is possibly negated for us low mileage drivers. If you have a not to detailed source for this I'd like to see it. ...

I don't have a particular source on hand, just based on general info I've read in the past, and putting 2 and 2 together.

It just makes sense that making a battery and extra associated 'stuff' for a hybrid is going to have an environmental cost to it. That can be worked off through better mpg over some number of miles. I just don't think it gets worked off with minimal miles.

There are sources that will go into the detail of environmental costs associated with manufacturing and with the per mile environmental costs. You can probably find one that compares a hybrid to its similar non-hybrid model, and calculate the break even. I don't know, but I doubt that ~ 5,000 miles a year will cut it over the life of the car, and if it does, would be marginal. Again, you could probably do more good with the $ you save, invest in some other environmental positive.

-ERD50

The Toyota hybrids are the only ones I would buy. They have a long, relatively trouble-free history. Maybe look at the more expensive Venza and the RAV 4 hybrid before you decide?

Just rode in a RAV 4 hybrid. It's quite a bit more comfortable than my older RAV 4. No idea if the equivalent non-hybrid rides any differently. I agree. Toyota understands hybrids - I'd go with big T.

Oh, and if it were my DW, and she wanted a hybrid but I did not: Tell her we're getting the hybrid but get the all-ICE. She probably wouldn't know the difference.:LOL::facepalm:

I'm kidding!

Haven’t been able to find underlying details. The “study” source, https://www.autoinsuranceez.com/, is a 1-10 employee company in Seattle with no known background. Great thing about the internet these days, you can find almost support for any argument if you accept any and all sources, like many do.

I’d bet not all manufacturers hybrids are equal in terms of fire risks. For example, a disproportionate number of the EV recalls related to fires have traced back to LG batteries. To say all hybrid cars are a greater fire risk than ICE or EV hasn’t been shown, I’d trust Toyota or Honda hybrids more than other makes, do you have evidence to the contrary?

I would also trust Toyota or Honda more than other makes.
I have no other evidence.
But what is scary search Kia engine fires.
Since I am going to buy a new midsize suv sometime in the next year,I am
interested in possible problems.
Oldmike

Last edited:
I would also trust Toyota or Honda more than other makes.
I have no other evidence.
But what is scary search Kia engine fires.
Since I am going to buy a new midsize suv sometime in the next year,I am
interested in possible problems.
Oldmike
Name any mainstream production make/model hybrid-PHEV-EV that hasn't had a fire. They're rare but you can find a scary story about any make/model even the Prius. The source you linked to was sketchy at best, that's all I meant.

We have a 2020 CRV that's a great car except for the engine/tranny noise, and a nav/entertainment system that's at least 10 years out of date. But we both liked in more than a RAV4, for our purposes.

The CRVs have an oil dilution problem- the DI engine gets gasoline into the oil, that can thin it out below the 0W-20 spec that's pretty low already. Longer drives in summer seem to be ok for us, short drives in winter gave us the super thin oil. Dealer said we could use 0W-30 or 5W-30 to counteract that, haven't decided yet. I get oil analysis done so that I'm not guessing about the oil.

That surprises me because every couple I know very definitely has "his" and "her" cars that are rarely if ever driven by the other person.

We have our "his" and "her" cars, and I drive them both practically exclusively.

In mine, I'm the owner driver.
In DW's, I'm the chauffeur :LOL:

We drive very few miles each year, maybe 6K in total.
So I've realized it doesn't matter what we buy for the next vehicle, we could buy a pickup truck and still won't be spending much on the yearly gas expense.

I don't buy the argument that gas will get expensive in a decade, I think it will be cheaper as less demand for it from all the hybrids and EV's cause gas to go down in price.

We have a 2020 CRV that's a great car except for the engine/tranny noise, and a nav/entertainment system that's at least 10 years out of date. But we both liked in more than a RAV4, for our purposes.

The CRVs have an oil dilution problem- the DI engine gets gasoline into the oil, that can thin it out below the 0W-20 spec that's pretty low already. Longer drives in summer seem to be ok for us, short drives in winter gave us the super thin oil. Dealer said we could use 0W-30 or 5W-30 to counteract that, haven't decided yet. I get oil analysis done so that I'm not guessing about the oil.

They call this "making oil." It's where the piston rings don't seat properly when new and the air charged by the turbocharger pushes unburned gas past the rings and into the oil pan. Owners should carefully check their oil levels often--looking for the oil level to increase with gas in the oil pan. While under warranty, an oil analysis is certainly in order.

It's common knowledge that Honda had the problem, but I assumed they addressed it--and solved the problem. It might be something to research on Honda Owner websites before buying one.

I have a year old Toyota Venza Hybrid, and earlier had a Camry Hybrid. Neither has ever seen a repair shop for any reason. My daughter has an Accord Hybrid, and she doesn't get as good fuel mileage what my Camry got.

I own a 2012 prius and just tried out a camry and a rav4 yesterday, but all they had for demos was ice cars. the noise and the shifting in both compared to the prius was something I did not like. I am looking to buy new in the next year and hybrid with the cvt tranny would be my choice. reading on here I think I might also check out the honda crv hybrid. sounds pretty interesting.

Just another issue with hybrid's. Some of the trim models with their options can only be had on the hybrid. CRV's seem to have fewer trim models. So if we want a feature it could force us into the hybrid. Unclear at this point exactly what features are on each trim but will be clearer in a month or so.

With stocks down so much I am getting to be more skin flintish. But maybe I'll just blow that doh. :confused: :)

Hybrid over turbo gas-only engine given the oil contamination issue with the latter on the CR-V.

Can you get a non-turbo, non-hybrid engine in the trim line you want?

The small turbo engines and CVT's are driving me nuts. I am looking myself for
a new SUV. Current 2010 Escape V6,2013 Accord V6,automatics.
Oldmike
I've owned two vehicles with CVTs, but probably wouldn't buy another one with a chain driven transmission. The main reason is that no rebuilding infrastructure for them has developed, leaving a choice of installing a used transmission or scrapping the vehicle in case of an out of warranty failure. The component cost on a new Subaru CVT is $7000, which would almost never be worth paying.

A Toyota or Ford hybrid would be OK.

Hybrid over turbo gas-only engine given the oil contamination issue with the latter on the CR-V.

Can you get a non-turbo, non-hybrid engine in the trim line you want?
That engine option apparently went away in 2019. The CR-V seems like a large vehicle to be pulled around by the 1.5 liter turbo engine.

all these cars hybrid or not seem to be too much car for the 4 cyclinder turbo engines. but the consumer usually ends up eating the cost of their experiments and experience, so there is that. If they would use some of the better 4 cyclinders from previous years without a turbo on the hybrids, that would be great.

all these cars hybrid or not seem to be too much car for the 4 cyclinder turbo engines. but the consumer usually ends up eating the cost of their experiments and experience, so there is that. If they would use some of the better 4 cyclinders from previous years without a turbo on the hybrids, that would be great.
Between a hybrid and a 4-cylinder turbo under 2 liters in a 3500 pound vehicle, the hybrid is the low-risk choice.

Hybrid is the only way I'd buy several cars, the Ford Escape and Honda CR-V among them.

Between a hybrid and a 4-cylinder turbo under 2 liters in a 3500 pound vehicle, the hybrid is the low-risk choice.

Hybrid is the only way I'd buy several cars, the Ford Escape and Honda CR-V among them.

I know it is not practical for the street but F1 using a 1.6 liter 4 cyl engine that produces about 1,000 HP...

Throw that in a 3500 lb car and you have a rocket...

The newer engines are more powerful for the same size than we had when we were young.. As you can see below a smaller engine had faster acceleration and a high speed than the big engines before...

Example...
My 1965 Galaxy 500 XL had a 352 cu in with 250 HP and 352 ft/lb of torque
My 1987 Formula 350 (5.7 liter) had 210 HP and 315 ft/lb of torque...
2004 Acura TL 3.2 lt (196 cu in)... 270 HP, 238 torque (was a 6 speed manual)
2018 G80 3.8... 311 hp, 293 torque

Estimated acceleration for the cars...
Galaxy 0-60 in 8.9 secs, qtr mile in 16.6, top speed 117 mph (I think I had mine at 125 once though, but could be bad speedo)
Formula, 60 in 6.8, qtr in 15.3... top speed by experience about 135 to 140
Acura, 60 6.1, qtr in 14.6... top speed 157 limited
G80, to 60 5.9, qtr 14.3.. top speed 166

The Escape hybrid is great. Was sorry that my circumstances changed and that I needed a vehicle with more room and wanted a more comfortable car for long trips. But for anyone whose needs are met, I totally recommend the Escape hybrid.

The newer engines are more powerful for the same size than we had when we were young.. As you can see below a smaller engine had faster acceleration and a high speed than the big engines before...

+1

At Frank's urging I got the 6-cylinder engine in my 2009 Venza, instead of the 4-cylinder. Six cylinders is not like we remembered six cylinders to be, back in the day; in this car it is WAY too much acceleration. Even getting on the interstate, if I press the accelerator down just maybe 1/16th of an inch, Frank will yell, "hey, SLOW DOWN!". It's that over-powered.

I have had my Venza for over 12 years now and have never pushed the accelerator down even half way. If I did I swear I'd be in low earth orbit.

And from what you are saying, I'll bet the newer engines are even more powerful than the one in my Venza. No thank you! If I ever get another car, it will be a 4-cylinder.

We loved our '99 CRV but I wouldn't touch a Honda for a while. I'm on the lookout for a 2nd car right now ('CRV finally bit the dust) and would consider most any Toyota around 10 years old - probably a Camry with 100K or less on the OD. YMMV

... At Frank's urging I got the 6-cylinder engine in my 2009 Venza, instead of the 4-cylinder. Six cylinders is not like we remembered six cylinders to be, back in the day; in this car it is WAY too much acceleration.

... No thank you! If I ever get another car, it will be a 4-cylinder.

I always have to adjust if I drive my DW's Honda CR-V with the 3.0 (3.3?) Liter 6 cylinder, non-turbo engine. So much more low end torque than my old 2.0 L, 4 cylinder, turbo Volvo, or my current 1.4 (!) L, turbo, Buick Encore. If I don't think, I'm jamming the pedal from a stop and spinning the tires!

Six cylinders are a bit smoother though, but I think they may have made improvements to the 4 CYL cars in the past decade, I don't seem to notice it as much (a bit of a 'growl' on acceleration), maybe just got used to it.

-ERD50

I always have to adjust if I drive my DW's Honda CR-V with the 3.0 (3.3?) Liter 6 cylinder, non-turbo engine. So much more low end torque than my old 2.0 L, 4 cylinder, turbo Volvo, or my current 1.4 (!) L, turbo, Buick Encore. If I don't think, I'm jamming the pedal from a stop and spinning the tires!

Six cylinders are a bit smoother though, but I think they may have made improvements to the 4 CYL cars in the past decade, I don't seem to notice it as much (a bit of a 'growl' on acceleration), maybe just got used to it.

-ERD50

My old Buick with the 6cyl 3.8l is an "old man's" car. So the throttle response is very slow and progressive. I thought at first it was a real "stone" until I had to punch it the first time. It's no rocket but it will really move if you flog it. I like progressive throttle response vs what most cars these days give you - most of the response is in the first inch of travel - making you think it's pretty hot when it's not.

Full disclosure: I AM an old man!:facepalm:

I am considering the same two options. I have decided to go with the Sport Touring hybrid. That extra horsepower and torque should make for a quicker and quieter ride. If anyone hears about New England dealers taking deposits please post it here.

I think the idea of how much travel on the gas pedal is out of date. most cars now do not even have mechanical linkage[correct me if I am wrong}, but i think most acceleration comes from senors and the amount of gas feed depends on the amount of signal the sensor puts out instead of travel distance.

I know it is not practical for the street but F1 using a 1.6 liter 4 cyl engine that produces about 1,000 HP...
If you are talking about F1 (Formula 1) IIRC they currently use a 1.6 liter V6 turbo design and cost per engine are in the many millions... But I'm not an expert on F1's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom