What's on your iPhone - useful apps

I've been looking at the Droid since I have Verizon and like the coverage. Saleswoman told me that it can not be tethered either. What's up with that?

Can the Google phone be tethered?

I was put off by the high monthly cost too. I have a $40 plan now. If I added a second line, then the phone with data plan it would push the monthly bill way up.

There are some really nice apps out there! I saw one that is a tachometer for radio control helicopters (my newest hobby). Measures the sound and uses some algorithm to tell you the RPM.

Bimmerbill,
I just bought a Droid last week (came from a Blackberry Curve). I love this thing. Didn't know what I was missing with my BB.

In regards to your tethering issue. You can download PDANet (they offer a free version in the market - limits you to non-https: sites). This will allow you to tether the Droid for no monthly charges from V (The way I understand it, as long as you are not using un-godly amounts of data, Verizon can never tell if you are tethering or not).

There are also ways to tether by "rooting" the phone. I have not explored this yet.

I really like the new weather app from Yahoo!. You might try it if you have been using the usual apps.

Don't know if this qualifies as an app, but "FindBigMail" looked at my Gmails, which I hardly ever delete and found 5 gigabytes in large downloads... videos, multiple picture files etc, which I could easily delete.
As far as I know there is no easy way to sort old Gmails by size, so this was a good deal (free) for me...

TIMER++ Kitchen Timer - and Apple app WARNING!

TIMER++ for IOS is a fantastic kitchen (or other) timer.

https://sites.google.com/site/kurtastrophicapps/home/timerplusplus

Here's how I came across it:

The other day, DW brings me our kitchen timer - it's not working. So I check the batteries, no go. I take it apart, but can't fix it. And, I can't find the same model on-line. And this timer had some features I liked, and it seems that many other timers I've seen a deficient. These might seem like small things, but if I buy a timer I want it to do everything right - why should I have to compromise for such a simple little device, when all of this is do-able? I had to actually think about everything I like or dislike to guide my purchase, and here are my requirements for a simple timer:

1) AA or AAA batteries - I keep those on hand, don't want one that takes odd/expensive coin cells.

2) Must do multiple hours, minutes and seconds. I found that a LOT of timers only went up to 100 minutes. How the heck are you supposed to time a long-cooking dish?

3) Needs to start counting UP after the time is reached. This is hard to figure out from the descriptions on-line. But I really want this. If you walk in and it is beeping, many just sit there at zero. With the count UP function, you can see how much you missed it by - one minute, or am I five minutes late? That can make a difference. And why not just do it?

4) Once it alarms, it should be easy to go back to the same time, rather than have to re-enter it each time. Like when you time multiple 5 minute events.

5) Needs to be easy to set - hard to detail w/o trying it.

Well, after spending way too much time on-line trying to find one, it occurred to me to see if something was available for our old iPod Touch. And I finally found this TIMER++, and it does everything I listed. Plus, it actually does multiple timers in a good interface. I've had multiple timers that were too confusing to use.

And it's free!

Now, the Apple app WARNING: I'm really frustrated by the way Apple controls the app store. This iPod Touch is an older gen, can only be upgraded to IOS 4.2.1. But you go to the app store, select an app, it asks you if you want to install it, it starts the process and then 9 times out of 10 it tells you that the app requires IOS 5 or 6. Why show it to me then? Worse, the app store only allows the most recent version in the store. So even though there is often a version that will work on my older device, I can't access it. This forced, artificial obsolescence is a terrible abuse. It has really moved me towards Android and Linux in general, and away from Apple.

So be sure you keep a back up of any apps you use, if you delete them or need to re-load them, they may not be available! You have been warned!

-ERD50

I'm really frustrated by the way Apple controls the app store. This iPod Touch is an older gen, can only be upgraded to IOS 4.2.1. But you go to the app store, select an app, it asks you if you want to install it, it starts the process and then 9 times out of 10 it tells you that the app requires IOS 5 or 6. Why show it to me then? Worse, the app store only allows the most recent version in the store. So even though there is often a version that will work on my older device, I can't access it. This forced, artificial obsolescence is a terrible abuse. It has really moved me towards Android and Linux in general, and away from Apple.

Agreed on all counts. I am on a 3rd generation Touch (right now, in fact). A new one I ordered just arrived this week but I haven't set it up yet because I am off on a trip and don't want to wrestle with it right now. Plus I hear a new iOS is right around the corner.

The new one is significantly taller.

Translator is an App I like. It translates and pronounces any word you type in to almost all languages. DH who travels to Mongolia for work is disappointed that Mongolian language is not available. I find the App very useful not only when I travel but also in my home country.

XE Currency is one app we used on our recent trip. Nice that you can use it offline as well, considering how little we were somewhere there was wifi. And we could have never kept track manually, as we changed currencies quite frequently.

Moscyn, I also used a nice little UB map/sightseeing app (from Parkour) when we were in Mongolia last month. Handy for showing the Mongolian/Cyrillic names for places when we needed directions. I don't envy your DH the traffic if he spends much time in UB. Amazing how much congestion there is inside the city limits.

I wish there was translators for Mongolian, too! I did hear that it would be added soon to Google translate, which will be great.

I used to use a lot of apps on my iPhone. But lately, I use most of them on my Wi-Fi iPad instead, at home, because it is bigger and easier for me to see with my crummy aging vision. I am even thinking of going back to an un-smart phone. I am paying $35/month for data, for nothing.

Sarah in SC, I find the XE currency exchange app very good too.

I also have a lot of games app - Candy Crush, Scrabble, word games, Blitz etc. they keep me company when I am on my own.

I used to use a lot of apps on my iPhone. But lately, I use most of them on my Wi-Fi iPad instead, at home, because it is bigger and easier for me to see with my crummy aging vision. I am even thinking of going back to an un-smart phone. I am paying $35/month for data, for nothing.

The same thought has occurred to me!

W2R, you are a big inspiration for me to continue to do nothing regarding smartphones. :)

I may be missing something, but it seems like most apps are just trying to bring the web to small screens. I'd prefer to just click around and not have to install and update individual pieces of software. Am I off in this sort of thinking?

Still using my ugly Tracphone. I'm planning to buy a new 8 or 10 inch tablet to replace my Kindle Fire after the fall lineup is announced. Best for my information obsessed mindset.

Last edited:
I may be missing something, but it seems like most apps are just trying to bring the web to small screens. I'd prefer to just click around and not have to install and update individual pieces of software. Am I off in this sort of thinking? ...

No, I think you are correct to a large degree. And it kind of aggravates me. The 'beauty' of a browser and 'the web' is that as long as the site and browser are standards compliant, it 'just works'. No need to download apps, worry about if they are up-to-date, no need for a different version for a different OS and all the support issues that go along with that.

So now so much stuff that could be done with just a browser requires a special app. Back to my earlier rant on Apple app store, and no support for older OS versions - I was using this older iPod touch as portable radio. Worked great to carry with me throughout the house for stations I can't get good reception on over the air. So after doing this for 6 months, I get a message that there is a new version of the radio app, but it requires IOS5, and I was SOL. And they didn't support the old one anymore - it just ran me in a circle - you need to upgrade, your device does not support this upgrade, you need to upgrade....

In the mean time, I had no problem using the browser on the computer to listen to these stations, but I guess the browser used flash, not supported by IOS, but there are alternatives to flash.

OTOH, there are apps that are really designed for local use, that a browser just would not handle. But I'd estimate those are in a minority.

-ERD50

No, I think you are correct to a large degree. And it kind of aggravates me. The 'beauty' of a browser and 'the web' is that as long as the site and browser are standards compliant, it 'just works'. No need to download apps, worry about if they are up-to-date, no need for a different version for a different OS and all the support issues that go along with that.
Thanks, I maybe am not a dinosaur afterall? :)
So now so much stuff that could be done with just a browser requires a special app. Back to my earlier rant on Apple app store, and no support for older OS versions - I was using this older iPod touch as portable radio. ...
We had a similar experience with an older Ipod Nano and the Itunes software. It just is not supported anymore.

I'm wondering if the Ipad going forward will suffer the same fate. I might consider the Ipad Mini if I could be confident Apple was not playing games with my wallet in the future. The best 8 inch tablets I've seen are the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 and the Ipad Mini.

> I really like the new weather app from Yahoo!. You might try it if you have been using the usual apps.

I really like how Yahoo added animated radar with the option for manual scrubbing.

Also, the new iOS 7 (probably available to all next week) weather app - also powered by Yahoo - has some nice features. One is a summary screen (pinch inward to show it) which shows all your locations at a glance. You can even tell if it is nighttime at each location. It's worth looking at when you upgrade.

IOS 7 seems good, but a few quibbles.

The new Calendar is terrible if you're on a pre-5 phone. My 4S only shows 3 days in Week view, and even when I have events on a day, the Day view usually defaults to a blank space between them.

Also, some new features like AirDrop are unavailable on a pre-5.

This not-so-subtle upgrade pressure is unwelcome.

I have iOS 7 installed on my iPhone, too. So far I haven't seen any great differences or benefit, so I guess I need to read more about it.

I like having the camera and a flashlight available without needing to key in my unlock code. Otherwise - ho hum.

In passing I saw some article on how to diable many of the really annoying new features of ios7. On my ipod touch I will not upgrade to 7. Maybe next year, if they fix the annoyances.

Th first day of iOS7 I noted many crashes on my iPad2. Many apps had not yet been updated to be iOS7 compatible. It's improving now.

Th first day of iOS7 I noted many crashes on my iPad2. Many apps had not yet been updated to be iOS7 compatible. It's improving now.

You are not alone.

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/101/2635-full.html

"Hilton Software, developers of the WingX Pro aviation app, is advising its subscribers not to upgrade their iPads and iPhones to the new iOS 7 operating system because the new operating system has stability issues. The company says it believes its app is fully compatible with iOS 7 but the operating system itself has a variety of issues, including lock ups, random reboots and strange behavior of the user interface. The issues have been reported on the final release of the system and not just the beta version. The company says it has had bug reports from just five of its thousands of customers but issued the warning out of an abundance of caution."

Back
Top Bottom