Where We Live

DW's "dream house":

img_933111_0_1f61de185a4f6fbccd1466d11218a3f2.jpg

Back view. I need to water that grass!
img_933111_1_3742f012818d61f8d0a06f98da82f63e.jpg

My dream house. :cool:
img_933111_2_522654f1753040e5bd8720305e7e21fe.jpg

Quite the Mcmansion you got............:)

I shoulda gone into the car business....

Anyone ever use an out house? This one looks exactly like the one my great grandmother had.....

I have to tell ya, I got splinters in my tookus....:p

Growing up my folks wanted to raise us in the country - that meant a number of increasingly large bits of acreage for the cattle and not a lot of consideration for the house. Can remember at least four places that had outhouses - even though the homes had indoor plumbing. Where others had mortgage burnings, we had the ceremonial outhouse burning once we were all moved in and everything was working. During the couple years the family lived in a barn while building a house they actually built an outhouse and had an outdoor solar shower and hauled water from the springhouse. Missed most of that by being in the Navy. To tough for my delicate sensibilities.

Growing up my folks wanted to raise us in the country - that meant a number of increasingly large bits of acreage for the cattle and not a lot of consideration for the house. Can remember at least four places that had outhouses - even though the homes had indoor plumbing. Where others had mortgage burnings, we had the ceremonial outhouse burning once we were all moved in and everything was working. During the couple years the family lived in a barn while building a house they actually built an outhouse and had an outdoor solar shower and hauled water from the springhouse. Missed most of that by being in the Navy. To tough for my delicate sensibilities.
Heh...me too.

My mom and dad never had indoor plumbing when they were growing up. They lived in a rural area; hoed and chopped cotton, tended to the garden and took care of the animals. When they married and had me, we always lived in a house with indoor plumbing and electricity. The houses were old, rundown and drafty, but I never felt sad or afraid because they were there.

The biggest complaint I have now about my house is the color of a couple of walls....:nonono:

I need to remind myself more often how truly fortunate I am.

Anyone ever use an out house? This one looks exactly like the one my great grandmother had.....

I did... When I was a kid my parents decided to renovate an old country house that didn't have bathrooms. We used to spend our week-ends and summers there and for several years, until the renovation was finally completed, we had to use the old outhouse. We also had to heat some water on the stove to take our showers outside... Thank goodness for indoor plumbing.;)

Being a city dweller all my life, I would just not go to such weekend "retreat", if I had a choice.

Thank goodness for RVs. :angel:

Looking over all these beautiful homes makes me wonder of some in our company don't have a lot of their net worth in real estate. True, in some parts of the country nice large homes are reasonably priced, but as we have seen of late having a nice place to live that isn't more than we need can be freeing. [I know, says I with the view avatar!]

Being a city dweller all my life, I would just not go to such weekend "retreat", if I had a choice.

Thank goodness for RVs. :angel:

Oh we had a RV too... It was a pop-up camper though. Still no bathroom...:D

Of course, now the old country house has all the comforts of modern life, including satellite TV, telephone, high speed internet, a massage therapy tub (and 3 bathrooms, yeah!), and for my step mom's enjoyment a dishwasher! It may not seem like much, but my dad considered many of these "luxuries" non-grata for many years... Given the house's secluded location in the mountains, my dad wanted it to be a haven and he felt that modern conveniences would get in the way.

4579886910_48aae64366.jpg

The house is still a work in progress though (it has been for 36 years). The driveway should have been paved by now.

Yes, I have used an outhouse and I guarantee one does not waste time in there at 30 below zero.

...and for my step mom's enjoyment... my dad considered many of these "luxuries" non-grata for many years...
Perhaps he learned from his past mistakes that one can be too frugal or rustic? :)

I wish I could show you the farm house I grew up in:
about 700 sq. ft.

• no indoor plumbing
  • no basement
  • no central heat (winter can get to 50 below)
  • 2 parents, 5 kids
Here's us from google street view

moz-screenshot-16.jpg

Attachments

• Our-house.JPG
    Our-house.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 3
You guys say "out"house like there is somewhere to put it besides "out". You people haven't actually gone and splurged on indoor plumbing have you? What ever happened to LBYM?

I recall when family got uppity and got indoor plumbing. Will not live without.

I've posted my house pic before, but here it is...

269951688.jpg

Wow, people own houses? This is my reading room in the park:

Attachments

• IMG_7477.jpg
    IMG_7477.jpg
    718.2 KB · Views: 127
I wanted to FIRE early so I sold the house seen in the last two pictures.

The first picture is my present home.

Now I can retire early. You need to keep those expenses down !

Attachments

• trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Luxury-Residence-1.jpg
    Luxury-Residence-1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 235
  • Luxury-Residence-2.jpg
    Luxury-Residence-2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 237
Our house is way too big for empty-nesting (woo-hoo!) and has way too much maintenance for my preferences, but we like our views:

Attachments

• Side yard view toward Ko'olau mountains.jpg
    Side yard view toward Ko'olau mountains.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 7
  • West Loch of Pearl Harbor.JPG
    West Loch of Pearl Harbor.JPG
    410 KB · Views: 8
Our house is way too big for empty-nesting (woo-hoo!) and has way too much maintenance for my preferences, but we like our views:

Looks real nice to me. And meets the three most important factors in real estate: location, location and location.

Yes, I have used an outhouse and I guarantee one does not waste time in there at 30 below zero.

Wasn't that why they invented... what were they called? The original "boom boxes"?

I wanted to FIRE early so I sold the house seen in the last two pictures.

The first picture is my present home.

Now I can retire early. You need to keep those expenses down !

The one you sold- is it on Mulholland Drive?

All that space. Lawns. Greenery. Water views. Maybe I should just suck it up with respect to the taxes and retire somewhere with just a little more space.

Here's were we live:

(Just for the record, blue skies are something of a rareity in Hong Kong.)

067.JPG

Wasn't that why they invented... what were they called? The original "boom boxes"?
Probably so but that pre-dates me. We never had an outhouse at my home but I had relatives that lived outside of town that didn't have indoor plumbing until the late 50s. I had one uncle that persisted in using the outhouse long after the indoor plumbing had been installed. In fact, he didn't give it up until he was too old to live on the farm anymore and had to move into town.

Back
Top Bottom