Where We Live

Probably so but that pre-dates me. We never had an outhouse at my home but I had relatives that lived outside of town that didn't have indoor plumbing until the late 50s. I had one uncle that persisted in using the outhouse long after the indoor plumbing had been installed. In fact, he didn't give it up until he was too old to live on the farm anymore and had to move into town.

I left ND and "Boom Pots" in 1949 to the more "civilized" territory of SD and indoor plumbing and never looked back... so to speak.

Front and back views of the "Bike Cave". Back yard is expansive State Forest. Very private.

Attachments

• STD_7368.jpg
    STD_7368.jpg
    861 KB · Views: 3
  • STD_7372.jpg
    STD_7372.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
The one you sold- is it on Mulholland Drive?

It may be, If you couldn't guess that post was a bit of a stretch.

I may be able to sell you the camper house though or something similar. My finance guy can get you in on "easy" payments.

retire now and start Livin'. The good Life awaits you now !

Our house is way too big for empty-nesting (woo-hoo!) and has way too much maintenance for my preferences, but we like our views:
Attached Thumbnails

Wow! Beautiful Nords. How long of a drive is it to the surf?

Wow! Beautiful Nords. How long of a drive is it to the surf?
By design, you're never that far from the ocean in Hawaii.........:)
It's called "Central Oahu" for a reason!

30 minutes to White Plains, 25 minutes to Pua'ena Point. The rest of the west side is a traffic crap shoot from White Plains; the rest of the North Shore is a traffic crap shoot from Pua'ena Point.

Downtown Honolulu is about 45 minutes away. I usually only surf there if friends are visiting Waikiki or I have to be in town for some other reason.

I've never bothered with the east side or Kaneohe/Kailua. There's great surfing at those places but it's just "too far" compared to the other choices.

This house is the best place we've ever lived, and quite likely will ever live. We bought it during the pit of the real-estate slump and we'd never be able to buy it (let alone finance it) today. The 50-year plan is to live here until we're no longer able or until our kid wants it to send her kids to the local schools. Then we'll either [-]paddle out into Waimea's 30-footers[/-] move a few miles away to the assisted living facility or move back into our one-story age-in-place rental property. I whine & kvetch about the upkeep but short of moving to Molokai or lanai I can't think of a better lifestyle & views.

Last edited:
It's called "Central Oahu" for a reason!

30 minutes to White Plains, 25 minutes to Pua'ena Point.
Are these places where you shop, or is there other destinations?
I am thinking about fresh bread.

Are these places where you shop, or is there other destinations?
I am thinking about fresh bread.
I guess you could. White Plains is on Kalealoa about 3-4 miles from Kapolei, and there's plenty of shopping/eating around there. Kau kau wagons stop by the parking lot (or a nearby access road) and entrepreneurs occasionally try to make a profit from the beach snack shack.

Pua'ena is right next to Haleiwa with all its amenities. Sunday mornings you can leave your board on the beach and walk five minutes to the farmer's market.

Town has plenty of fresh-baked. I'm not sure about the rest of the island-- I'd guess there have to be bakeries somewhere on the North Shore and Kapolei and out toward Makaha but I'd have to research it.

I tend to surf to the point of exhaustion (or hypothermia, whichever comes first), stagger to the parking lot, whammo the 500 or so calories I have stashed in the car, and drive home for a nap...

Our house from the air. We took a local helicopter ride last year in preparation for my wife's interest in learning how to fly one. This interest was a surprise to me after almost 34 years of being married. She claims that she had always wanted to learn to fly a helicopter.

I can see my truck from up here!

Added a front pic of our house. We live on 10 acres of hardwood trees. We have indoor plumbing and a drainfield.

Mike D.

Attachments

• Heli2OurHouse1.jpg
    Heli2OurHouse1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 9
  • OurHouse.jpg
    OurHouse.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Lots of nice homes posted, congrats. I won't post the pic of my apartment building :)

"The Riverview Apartments". There was no river and there was no view. sorta from the Blue Collar Comedy tour.

My place looks considerably better not surrounded with snow banks.

Attachments

• 6 May 2010.jpg
    6 May 2010.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 9
This is a first for me. Never uploaded photo to Internet. Still couldn't figure how to add message. It's been fun!

My place looks considerably better not surrounded with snow banks.

Nodak, is that a grain silo out back? Is there a train track?

Nodak, is that a grain silo out back? Is there a train track?
It's a grain elevator' there was a train track but it was removed years ago. They haul in and out of it with over the road semi-trailer trucks now. Most of the grain is hauled to either Grand Forks or Duluth.

I now recall that I did post some pictures of my city and boonies homes. They were here.

OK, OK, so I cheated by not really showing my city home. So, how about this aerial supplement from terraserver?

img_936069_0_793021bc558aa22e5dff12515e0c10e1.jpg

OMG! Now everyone sees the backyard where I buried my Krugerrands! I will now have to move them up to my boonies home, where I have a larger lot.

Back
Top Bottom