Which diet do you identify with?

That’s sort of missing LCHF (low-carb high fat). Paleo doesn’t match because LCHF allows dairy. But LCHF avoids grains and limits starchy veggies and limited fruit in the strictest form. No processed foods. So I don’t see a match with the other options.

LCHF +1

Would have chosen Atkins as an alternative if it was an option. I also limit meat as an accomodation to vegan DW, hard to have a carnivore and vegan in the same kitchen.

One other side note: I know the LCHF has won the narrative. Most say carbohydrates are not good for you. Or at the least, carbs should be minimized. And there's even mention how people lose over 100 lbs on a Keto or low carb diet. The facts are, that after 5 years, 98% have gained all their weight back (and then some). Check out the NWCR National Weight Control Registry. People who've lost weight and kept it off for over 5 years and see what drives their success. Not one does it via Keto or low carb.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2013nl/feb/pritikinpdf3.pdf

Not even close to my experience, LCHF is not a diet it is a Way Of Eating (WOE) permanent adoption, at least for two years now for me and no intention of changing. I am not a common case, I am not overweight (BMI 21.6) was a runner much of my earlier life. But had radiation & chemo treatments that damaged my thyroid and seems to have impacted my blood sugar. Dr signed me up for treatments and training for this 'progressive' disease, I jumped on it with a LCHF WOE, dropped my blood sugar down to normal and am not looking back. DW can eat anything sugar wise. There are remarkable human differences in how we handle nutrition but Pritikin would actually kill me, or at least make me insulin dependent to eat carbs that I don't need. I am a 'science experiment of one' and I have found what works for me. Check out diabeticsdaily works for a lot of people but nothing works for everyone. About the only thing I am sure of is don't eat high fat AND high carb. And don't go on a diet, choose a sustainable WOE.
I am not even remotely inclined to 'cheat' recently spent two weeks in Italy and did not have pasta or pizza. Had a lot of other great satisfying food.

Last edited:
Merging all the diet trends and logic suggests dialing up nutrient dense veg, fruit in whole form, and moderating but not eliminating high quality animal and low mercury fish protein.

Dial up olive oil, moderate butter, and avoid other common oils.

Wheat of all forms, bread and pasta and cereal, rice and potatoes, minimized as much as possible except to compliment nutrient dense foods.

Treat processed foods and hydrogenation as toxic.

Minimize overall calories and occasionally skip a meal as fast.

Then there is this Tedx talk on how individual response to good is

https://youtu.be/0z03xkwFbw4

Merging all the diet trends and logic suggests dialing up nutrient dense veg, fruit in whole form, and moderating but not eliminating high quality animal and low mercury fish protein.

Dial up olive oil, moderate butter, and avoid other common oils.

Wheat of all forms, bread and pasta and cereal, rice and potatoes, minimized as much as possible except to compliment nutrient dense foods.

Treat processed foods and hydrogenation as toxic.

Minimize overall calories and occasionally skip a meal as fast.

Then there is this Tedx talk on how individual response to good is

https://youtu.be/0z03xkwFbw4

That is pretty much the diet of DW and I, except for the fasting part. We generally eat one meal a day, with some healthy snacks as needed. We don't purposely limit the carbs, but eating one meal a day does it by definition. [that way there is more room in the diet for beer and wine :)]. Our older metabolisms don't want much food any more.

BTW, we call the processed foods 'Industrial Foods'. As opposed to what we buy from farmers markets and the local food co-op. One can't entirely get away from Industrial Foods, but limiting them has made us physically feel better.

I read recently that the industrial food companies are having profitability issues. https://www.forbes.com/sites/hankca...heinz-arent-cutting-the-mustard/#521a8979710e

Exceptions might be tomato paste, Concord grape and cranberry juice, coffee, tea which have attractive functional food health aspects and you can’t avoid commercial processing

Not reconstituted from concentrate I presume is less processed at least

Exceptions might be tomato paste, Concord grape and cranberry juice, coffee, tea which have attractive functional food health aspects and you can’t avoid commercial processing

Not reconstituted from concentrate I presume is less processed at least

We substitute wine for the concord grape juice.

Back
Top Bottom