Which Honda Self-Propelled Push Mower Should I Buy?

So, a condo or HOA is definitely out of the question?
Condo is out, and I'd like to avoid a "full service" HOA just cause I'm cheap and welcome some exercise. When we're physically no longer able, we'll just hire someone (like my parents had to resort to as they aged). Good question though...

I hired a lawn crew to do mine this summer.

I remember some tech guy saying "Linux is only free if your time has no value".

I had to cut grass when I was living at home in high school and college and hated it. Made myself a promise I'd never cut grass again, and except for a couple times at a house I used to rent with a VERY small yard, I never have, and never will again.

Lawn services for me, thank-you-very-much. I don't mind other types of gardening, like trimming bushes, planting, raking, etc. But I refuse to cut grass. Too many bad memories of slaving away in the hot Alabama sun as a teenager. Never again.

I had to cut grass when I was living at home in high school and college and hated it. Made myself a promise I'd never cut grass again, and except for a couple times at a house I used to rent with a VERY small yard, I never have, and never will again.

Lawn services for me, thank-you-very-much. I don't mind other types of gardening, like trimming bushes, planting, raking, etc. But I refuse to cut grass. Too many bad memories of slaving away in the hot Alabama sun as a teenager. Never again.

Not trying to derail this, but I do not mind mowing grass at all. When I lived in KY and had 3 acres of grass to mow, I would use that time on the tractor mower to do a lot of planning and figuring things out.

Now in NM I have hardly any lawn, too harsh of weather and can;t afford to keep a bunch of grass watered up!

Back to OP, I think the bigger mower is better, but the smaller one will be more than adequate. Any Honda mower is a good quality choice. It comes down to how much extra features you want, the hydrostatic drive seems to be worth the upgrade.

Right or wrong, I just splurged on a Honda HRX217HYA ($700) even though it's probably more mower than I needed, got a little off for Mem Day weekend sale.

I am really looking forward to mowing the lawn tomorrow - though I am positive that will wear off (probably within a week). :blush:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am really looking forward to mowing the lawn tomorrow - though I am positive that will wear off (probably within a week). :blush:

Oh, I don't know. I bought my car in 2003 and it still makes me feel good. Congratulations on the new baby!

Congratulations, fits my thoughts on mowing, better to have a bigger machine.

I love mowing the grass. Used to pull the lawnmower behind my bike as a kid to get to the various neighborhood lawns that I cut. Smell of fresh cut grass and a sense of accomplishment. Dream job would probably have been groundskeeper at Fenway or better yet, greenskeeper at Augusta!!

Dream job would probably have been groundskeeper at Fenway or better yet, greenskeeper at Augusta!!

Speaking as a Cubs and Red Sox fan, you could have kept the grass neatly trimmed so the ball would skip through my legs at first base ;)

Since Midpack is all set, perhaps someone can guide me. The steel deck on my 5-7 year old Troy Bilt FWD mower rusted completely through. My yard is hilly with a lot of exposed ledge rock. Small areas where you can't just go back and forth. Lots of changing directions, pivoting, etc. With the old mower I could just push down the handle to pivot on the two large rear wheels without disengaging the front drive.

Many are recommending RWD now but then I lose the large rear wheels. How is the Honda for backing up and frequent changes of direction?

Has anyone tried the new Husqvarna AWD machines? Any other thoughts?

Last edited:
Speaking as a Cubs and Red Sox fan, you could have kept the grass neatly trimmed so the ball would skip through my legs at first base ;)

To this day, I still wonder why McNamara didn't put Stapleton in at first once the Red Sox had the lead. Curse of the Bambino! :facepalm:

Many are recommending RWD now but then I lose the large rear wheels. How is the Honda for backing up and frequent changes of direction?

I borrowed a RWD mower to try it a few seasons ago. Didn't like it at all, a real pain to make turns ( or I just couldn't get used to it ). Supposed to get better traction slopes but I couldn't ell much difference.

I had a 12yr old WalMart murray that the deck actually rusted and broke apart last year. It only cost about $150, I replaced it with craftsman when they were on sale.

Since Midpack is all set, perhaps someone can guide me. The steel deck on my 5-7 year old Troy Bilt FWD mower rusted completely through. My yard is hilly with a lot of exposed ledge rock. Small areas where you can't just go back and forth. Lots of changing directions, pivoting, etc. With the old mower I could just push down the handle to pivot on the two large rear wheels without disengaging the front drive.

Has anyone tried the new Husqvarna AWD machines? Any other thoughts?

Too bad about Troy-Bilt. They used to be top of the line, but that was before MTD turned them into a second-tier discount store product.

Ariens makes a quality mower with a 14-gauge deck and front caster wheels, which make a small mower very maneuverable. Expensive, but top quality.

I have a Troy-Bilt (a 33-inch Wide Cut) that I bought 22 years ago. Still going strong.

There are certainly exceptions, but more often than not it seems you get what you pay for. YMMV

Right or wrong, I just splurged on a Honda HRX217HYA ($700) even though it's probably more mower than I needed, got a little off for Mem Day weekend sale.

I was late to the thread but was going to respond that I am a fan of all things Honda and I would have bought the $400 model, but if I had your money I would have bought the $700 model. :D

Congrats Midpack - you will have to give us an update on your perspective after you use it (if you don't mind) but only if it's a good review. I know I must own some Honda Motor Corp. stock somewhere in my index funds!!

I was late to the thread but was going to respond that I am a fan of all things Honda and I would have bought the $400 model, but if I had your money I would have bought the $700 model. :D
If you lived in a lower COL area like we do, unlike your part of the country, you could buy a better mower too. :D

Last edited:
Since Midpack is all set, perhaps someone can guide me. The steel deck on my 5-7 year old Troy Bilt FWD mower rusted completely through. My yard is hilly with a lot of exposed ledge rock. Small areas where you can't just go back and forth. Lots of changing directions, pivoting, etc.
My yard sounds similar, but it's only 1/3rd of an acre. I've been using a 21" push mower, but I'd like to get things done more quickly. I've considered those twin-blade, approx 32" wide, self-propelled mowers with swivel wheels on the front. I'd think that would be the ticket for easily mowing around things and for speeding up the whole task. Two challenges:
-- They are pricey: About $1300-1500 for a machine with a steel deck (that will probably rust through in 5-7 years, like yours did.) I'd like aluminum or something else for that kind of money, and a Honda engine.
-- I wonder if the swivel wheels will make it tough to mow on hills, going side-to-side. With a regular mower, having all the wheels fixed and facing dead-ahead helps the mower keep moving in the direction it is pointed. The machine I saw (a Craftsman) had the motor right above the rear wheels, with the blades in a low-profile deck in front, so it might be pretty easy to keep it from heading downhill with just a little pressure on the handle.

Craftsman, Cub, and a I think some others make these "wide area" walk behind mowers. I'll keep my eyes open for a used one.

I bought a Craftsman with a 160cc Honda engine. Time will tell if the body holds up, but I have a very high regard for those Honda engines. I used my mower for a couple seasons before switching to a lawn tractor some years back. Last weekend I pulled the mower out of its 4-5 year hibernation, added some gas, and it started easily on the first pull. Same startlingly quiet, smooth operation that I remember from when it was new. I'm pretty sure you'll be very happy with your new top-of-the-line Honda.

Congrats Midpack - you will have to give us an update on your perspective after you use it (if you don't mind) but only if it's a good review. I know I must own some Honda Motor Corp. stock somewhere in my index funds!!
I just mowed my lawn and the Honda mower was wonderful, an out of body experience!!!

Just kidding, it is a lawn mower after all...

My initial impression was good, it was all I hoped with more pleasant surprises than the other kind. My real opinion won't form for another 10-20 years.

Cons:
  • It has the longest wheelbase I have ever seen on a push mower, which makes it tougher to maneuver. Long wheelbase is not an issue going straight, and not that noticeable going around gentle curves, but it's noticeable turning tight like around trees.
  • My old John Deere 14SB had a horiz "sightglass" on the tank, so it was easy to know when the tank was full without spilling. The Honda does not, I will miss that.
  • *** for some not all
I bought my John Deere 14SB (150cc) in 1990 when we arrived in FL and my old 3.5HP B&S supermarket mower couldn't begin to cut the wire they call (St Augustine) grass down there. And I refuse to bag clippings. So I went out and bought the most powerful, best mulching mower I could buy then, for (gag) $600. And it's served us for 24 years, so it's been a great investment.

Pros:
  • As good as the John Deere was at mulching, this 190cc Honda is even better. My grass was longish and not entirely dry today, but the Honda obliterated the clippings, and the engine never hesitated. It pulverized a twig I hit, where the JD would have just broken it into pieces.
  • I was a little puzzled as to how the blade clutch & drive bails worked, but after just a few passes I realized why they are shaped differently - a very smart, intuitive design. A tick easier on the hands than the JD.
  • Started on the first pull, even this first time, with a little less resistance than the JD (it always started on 1-2 pulls throughout it's life).
  • Oil changes will be easier/less messy on the Honda than they were on the JD.
  • The Honda was a little quieter, but it's still loud like most mowers. And it runs smoother than any other mower I've ever used, less vibration in the handle which is more comfortable.

My OP compared the wrong models, should have been $500 (HRR216VYA) vs $700 (HRX217HYA), not a $400 model.

I am sure I would have been just fine with the $500 model after all, our yard is not that large or sloping. But I will keep the better model because I like the transmission and it's user friendliness, that's all it comes down to. I don't like the cheaper Smart Drive approach in user friendliness terms.

I could take it back and save $200, but even this one will pay for itself in one year vs hiring someone to cut our grass for a season. And while $700 is a lot for a push mower (as DW pointed out), in today's dollars the John Deere would retail for more than $1100, no wonder JD no longer sells push mowers in the US.

*** The Honda is also the heaviest mower I've ever owned. But it's only 3 pounds heavier than my John Deere was (96 vs 93 lbs), and it is self-propelled so it didn't really bother me. If the transmission failed, I doubt even a normal adult could push it around for 45-60 minutes. And anyone used to a cheapo $200-300 mower is in for a shock the first time they try to [-]man[/-]personhandle a Honda HRX mower around! It's a beast!

Honda HRX217HYA red & gray, John Deere 14SB black and silver

Attachments

• 0aI7D.jpg
    0aI7D.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I've considered those twin-blade, approx 32" wide, self-propelled mowers with swivel wheels on the front. I'd think that would be the ticket for easily mowing around things and for speeding up the whole task. Two challenges:

-- I wonder if the swivel wheels will make it tough to mow on hills, going side-to-side. With a regular mower, having all the wheels fixed and facing dead-ahead helps the mower keep moving in the direction it is pointed.

You guess right. I bought one of these (Sears label, but I think MTD makes them) because we have a hill in back that is too steep to use a riding mower on. I mow about a half acre. The 33" is definitely an upper-body workout to keep straight on the hill and on the steepest part I resort to the 22" Honda anyway. It does shorten the overall lawn mowing job but by very little. Had I known that I wouldn't have bought it. However if your hill isn't pushing the limits of what is possible then it might work for you.

And I'm not at all impressed by the quality of the cut either. I's not gosh-durn awful, but I've seen a lot better. At first I thought it might the a function of the deck width but then remembered that the Cub Cadet (the original, not the MTD ones) that I had 30+ years ago had a 42" deck and the lawn looked pool table smooth what it was done.

So either some engineer was not up to snuff or the marketing guys told them to get it out the door too soon. I'd bet on the latter.

Any more experiences comparing RWD vs. high wheel FWD? It's Saturday and time to shop.

Back
Top Bottom