Who bought a motorcycle after FIRE?

My former supervisor retired in Aug. '03 at age 61 and bought a Harley and went on the 100th anniversary "Ride Home" and got a new tattoo. (He had owned motorcycles in his 20s.)

He works part time in the spring doing taxes to afford motor cycle trips the rest of the year.

I would love to find another 72 SL 350 to ride to the beach after I retire.
SL350K1ORANGE.jpg

We had a Kawasaki 750 back in the 70s. It was fun, until we had our accident. Luckily, it was a minor accident, but it still hurt. I have not been on one since.

I own a Honda 2002 VTX 1800 cc cruiser that I have put add on's to make it a comfortable touring bike.
Last year i traveled from Vermont to Florida, toured Fla. and then rode it all the way home to norhtern Vermot. Over 4000 miles and i am ready to go again.
58 and still riding.

Yamaha FJR rider here, have taken it to Key West and up the NC outer banks last year. I ride almost anytime I get a chance to.

Had a 50's Triumph 650 twin back in college.................

Brings back fond memories of my older brother's Norton 750 Commando. What a beast. It would backfire and just about break your leg on the kick starter. Leaked oil everywhere and the incredible vibration even backed out bolts with Loctite. Front brake was single leading and not remotely up to the job. Wonderful Lucas ignition system required it to be push started in damp weather. Sure had torque, though.

Given the state of English cars at the time, me thinks English engineers in that era must have been incredible optimists .

Last edited:
Brings back fond memories of my older brother's Norton 750 Commando. What a beast. It would backfire and just about break your leg on the kick starter. Leaked oil everywhere and the incredible vibration even backed out bolts with Loctite. Front brake was single leading and not remotely up to the job. Wonderful Lucas ignition system required it to be push started in damp weather. Sure has torque, though.

Given the state of English cars at the time, me thinks English engineers in that era must have been incredible optimists .

Those bikes were great, if you liked to push bikes.

I had a 2001 Goldwing when I retired but that was totaled in an accident in 2005. In 2006 I bought a new 2006 Goldwing and toured all of the lower 48 States that year. Last year I bought a second bike... 2007 Buell Ulysses with hard bags, top case and a larger windscreen. I put 14000 miles on the Buell last year and 6000 on the Goldwing. Planning to ride up to Alaska this year in June with the Buell... about 8400 miles round trip.

Brings back fond memories of my older brother's Norton 750 Commando. What a beast. It would backfire and just about break your leg on the kick starter. Leaked oil everywhere and the incredible vibration even backed out bolts with Loctite. Front brake was single leading and not remotely up to the job. Wonderful Lucas ignition system required it to be push started in damp weather. Sure has torque, though.

Mine ran mostly, but it had a bit of arcane electrical gear called a Zener diode in the charging system that threw me. ended up wiring around it and running the lights from the battery, charging the battery at home every few days. Which worked about as well as one would expect. Remember riding home late more than once having the headlight go to a dim yellow glow. Also remember going into a corner and whacking the headlight as the vibration caused it to swivel up to point at the stars. Good to have young eyes, clear skies, and lotsa luck! Great bike - more soul than the 250?/350?cc Italian Harley Davidson i had around the same time.

Back
Top Bottom