Who's cooking ?

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
I saw this on an old thread and thought I'd ask again who cooks at your house ? Here on Sarasota Bay I do most of the cooking because I'm retired but SO is also a good cook when the mood arises. I'm a fairly good cook nobody spits food out (that I know of ) when I entertain so it must be allright .SO is a more inventive cook .Ever here of a meatloaf that could be a door stop ?

mom removed the door to the wall oven and used it as a niche for dried flower arrangements. you never saw such a clean kitchen. we ate out a lot.

my brother and i are both very good cooks. mom didn't quite teach us to cook. she taught us that if we wanted a homecooked meal we'd better learn to make it ourselves.

survival is a good teacher.

I do the cooking; because if I don't cook I don't eat. I don't mind cooking, but it is not something I would choose to do.

Ha

I do have my moments. Last weekend I was at an afterhours hip-hop dance. I very pretty woman maybe 20 or so came over to me and said, "You are the first old man that I have ever seen at our parties. Would you like to dance with me?"

Does the Pope live in Italy? After all, it is a given that I am old. That I get to dance with this beauty is an unexpected event. :)

Ha

If you lived in Flrida you'd never have to cook .Meals would be supplied by the lonely women .

Doesn't have to be in Florida. The ladies after my 89-year-old Dad often bring him food; when I visit, I have to sometimes watch my step as one of the girls likes to leave casserole dishes between his storm door and the inside door and I've nearly stepped into macaroni & cheese once!

and in answer to the original post: I do 90% of the cooking, am very good at it and love to do it -- especially now that I have the time to do it right! DH does the other 10% -- usually breakfast on the weekend -- and it's delicious!

Doesn't have to be in Florida. The ladies after my 89-year-old Dad often bring him food; when I visit, I have to sometimes watch my step as one of the girls likes to leave casserole dishes between his storm door and the inside door and I've nearly stepped into macaroni & cheese once!

Why doesn't this happen with widows ? I would have loved some macaroni & cheese or even tuna casserole .All I got was one of the married neighbors looking for action from a lonely widow .

Why doesn't this happen with widows ? I would have loved some macaroni & cheese or even tuna casserole .All I got was one of the married neighbors looking for action from a lonely widow .

This must have felt bad to you. Men can sure be insensitive dopes. If you ever wonder about anything concerning us, "insensitive dope" will make a good first guess.

Ha

is he cute? i'll trade you for a tuna casserole.

Breakfasts & lunches-- you're on your own.

Spouse cooks the main dish of dinner Mon/Wed (tae kwon do nights) and Saturdays. I prep the whole dinner Tue, Thu, & Sunday and side dishes all week long.

Friday's Costco pizza.

Every once in a while we eat out... between tae kwon do & homework that usually doesn't happen until school breaks or birthdays.

Cooking is a hobby with me. When my husband was alive, he was the barkeep & grillmaster but also backup as a great scullery maid. Now, that I am retired and can afford to do as I please... I cook more at home and enjoy the meals with family and friends. Dining out just is not that appealing after having done the road warrior detail and "whining with dining" of clients.

Now that I'm retired, I view cooking as a discipline and a joy; I am nearing perfection on the eggs-over-easy-omelet. Am still in the early stages of slow-cookery (too much bell pepper in the last attempt).

DW is the usual cook. Once in a great while, I look up the recipe for swedish stew with dumplings I saved from my mom, and I'll cook up a pot of stew. I used to make blackberry cobbler with bisquick and berries picked nearby. Too bad they built houses where the blackberry vines used to be.

I do most of the evening meal planning and grocery shopping. DW makes most of the lunches and we share most of the evening cooking (although DW does everything when we go out :D). I'm the one that likes to try new recipes and do the more involved cooking.

I do have my moments. Last weekend I was at an afterhours hip-hop dance. I very pretty woman maybe 20 or so came over to me and said, "You are the first old man that I have ever seen at our parties. Would you like to dance with me?"

You old hound you...........sometimes the "old dog" rules.........:D

Alright Ha, now that's a picture I'd really like to see! Good job!

Southern women cook. period. I remember visiting my (then future) mother in law's house at Christmas when DH and I were dating and he said that if he ever found someone who could make a pie like his mom's coconut pie, he'd marry them! Boy, you never saw someone whip out a pad and a pen to give me the recipe as his momma did!

And the recipe? 6 eggs, a stick of butter, a cup of sugar and a bag of sweetened coconut flakes in a pie shell! Good lord! I'd kill him for sure with it now!

I cook staple meals, healthy and lots of vegetables. I have lots and lots of cookbooks (you get them as wedding gifts in the south--more stereotyping) and I do go there for inspiration lots of times. I don't do a lot of elaborate meal prep, mostly because of time constraints. We love to eat out, but it's hard to watch the waist when you do that too often.

I have good appetizer recipes that get a lot of use when we have parties. Hot crab dip is one of my favorites and not too fussy. I like doing picnic fare as well--something to take on a hike or boat ride.

DW and I are both into cooking, but I cook 90% of the time. One reason: we use a system in which one person cooks, and the other cleans up. Apparently DW dislikes cleaning up less than I do.

i bat cleanup. Except for posole. and gravy. and blue cheese dressing. Dutch Babies. and a few other card-up-the-sleeve skills. When the honey is doing Mom visits i'm on my own hook and highly dependent on the kindness of a good neighbor and heat Costco frozen food a bunch - tend to lose a little weight.

DW and I are on such different type diets that we each cook for ourselves. I have found that low-carb works best for me, not just for weight control but to minimize digestive problems. I typically throw a steak or salmon or chicken on the George Foreman grill and have a salad with it. DW does her low fat, Weight Watcher point counting thing. We each do our own cleanup. Works for us.

Grumpy

Back
Top Bottom