Why not drive a Tesla?

My "stops" on a road trip are ~5-10 minutes to get gas and pick up some food. When I can charge a depleted battery in that time, and such chargers are commonplace everywhere, then the inconvenience will no longer prevent me from considering one as an option. Until then, I'll pass on any all-electric vehicle.

Exactly!
I routinely rack up 20-25000 miles a year on my car. I'm one of those oddballs who actually enjoy long distance driving, and I consider 8-10 hours on the road a normal drive (often longer).

So there is no possibility that I would be interested in a car that required me to spend two or more hours (not consecutive) charging my batteries during one of those long trips. That would turn a long day into an intolerably long day.

If I wanted maximum efficiency, I'd probably buy a diesel. The diesels in Europe are great for efficiency, but for some reason USA diesels are much less fuel efficient.

Has Musk actually invented anything groundbreaking like Edison did, or is he simply tweaking existing technology to make it more feasible? Batteries were around before Musk's parents were born. The same goes with rockets. Light bulbs changed the world, nothing Musk has done comes anywhere near that one accomplishment (out of many) of Edison's.

Unless I am mistaken, Edison didn't event the light bulb. He simply tweaked existing technology to make it more feasible (sorry). Edison stood on the shoulders of giants as many others have. This doesn't diminish his greatness at all and his initiative to bring many brilliant people together at Menlo Park could be seen as much like Musk what Musk is doing at Tesla, SpaceX and Solar City. I agree that time will tell what Musk's true standing is.

..........The diesels in Europe are great for efficiency, but for some reason USA diesels are much less fuel efficient.
Europeans are just that much smarter than we are. Look how VW was able to meet emissions and provide good mileage without DEF.

As for performance, yes a Tesla will give you an amusement park straight line acceleration thrill ... a couple of times, then they get hot and slow. But will never turn a good lap time at the Nurburgring.

The range limitation and charging times are a nonstarter for me. As a commuter car it might make sense, but not for long trips where you would be limited to certain routes where they have planted their charging stations.

I looked on a map and saw a town a few hours from me where the charging station is in a Chevron station. Across the highway is a McDonald's with free wifi that you can use while your car charges. What a luxury, drive a $100K car and bum wifi at Mickey D's while it charges!

Unless I am mistaken, Edison didn't event the light bulb. He simply tweaked existing technology to make it more feasible (sorry). Edison stood on the shoulders of giants as many others have. This doesn't diminish his greatness at all and his initiative to bring many brilliant people together at Menlo Park could be seen as much like Musk what Musk is doing at Tesla, SpaceX and Solar City. I agree that time will tell what Musk's true standing is.

You are not mistaken. There were several patents years ahead of Edison, the one I hear most often is Joseph Swan of England. Looking at wiki, he actually had a commercial installation (I didn't know that).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Swan#Electric_light

Swan first publicly demonstrated his incandescent carbon lamp at a lecture for the Newcastle upon Tyne Chemical Society on 18 December 1878.

In 1881 he founded his own company, The Swan Electric Light Company,[14] and started commercial production.[15]
The Savoy, a state-of-the-art theatre in the City of Westminster, London, was the first public building in the world lit entirely by electricity.[16] Swan supplied about 1,200 incandescent lamps, powered by an 88.3 kW (120hp) generator on open land near the theatre.

But Edison gets credit for making a commercial success of the filament bulb and the electrical distribution system that it required.

-ERD50

In my opinion, the Tesla is a damn fine looking car. And I hear the performance is great, too. The problem I would have with one is the problem I would have with any new car - I want a car, not a computer. In the last rental I had, I couldn't even tune the radio for all the super fancy, multi-function, video display nonsense. For instruments, I want a speedo, tach, oil pressure and temp, gas gauge, maybe volt/amp. That's it. A radio would be nice, but I sure don't need a wireless enabled, blue tooth compatible, in-car entertainment system. I want to shift it myself, steer it myself, stop it myself and park it myself. I don't want backup cameras, lane departure warnings, blind spot monitoring, automatic foot operated doors or any of that other fancy stuff. Just a car.

In my opinion, the Tesla is a damn fine looking car. And I hear the performance is great, too. The problem I would have with one is the problem I would have with any new car - I want a car, not a computer. In the last rental I had, I couldn't even tune the radio for all the super fancy, multi-function, video display nonsense. For instruments, I want a speedo, tach, oil pressure and temp, gas gauge, maybe volt/amp. That's it. A radio would be nice, but I sure don't need a wireless enabled, blue tooth compatible, in-car entertainment system. I want to shift it myself, steer it myself, stop it myself and park it myself. I don't want backup cameras, lane departure warnings, blind spot monitoring, automatic foot operated doors or any of that other fancy stuff. Just a car.

+1

This is my issue with just about all new cars, not just Tesla.

So you two don't want any of that techie stuff, not even the "You kids get off my lawn!" alarm system?

Right. I just want to be able to actively drive it and make all the decisions. :D

If it gets stolen, I'll just buy another. Price is no object, right? :)

Last edited:
Do any of you still long for the days when you could write your term papers on a typewriter, and use white out when you made a mistake?

I don't want backup cameras, lane departure warnings, blind spot monitoring, automatic foot operated doors or any of that other fancy stuff. Just a car.

I do not want all the other extras but I do want the back up camera . I have found too many people walk looking at their cell phones or just do not care so backing out is crazy . I have heard of Tesla but never looked into it until this thread and I have to say it is an amazing car . If I was to buy one which I will not it would be the Telsa 3 because I am still semi frugal .

Do any of you still long for the days when you could write your term papers on a typewriter, and use white out when you made a mistake?
For certain uses, a typewriter is still the best instrument. Filling out pre-printed forms, for example. That's why I still have a functioning manual portable typewriter. Newer is not always better.

With respect to more extensive writing, such as legal briefs, my experience is that the main thing the computer confers is the ability to spew drivel and endlessly revise. I do not think it has improved writing at all. Thinking before writing anything, regardless of the technology, is still the essential skill.

Right. I just want to be able to actively drive it and make all the decisions. :D

You, sir, need a 30 year old Porsche 911. My daily driver, sonorous engine, analog everything, no nanny functions. You brake, shift, work the clutch and throttle, and woe unto you if you lift your right foot on a hard corner. But more fun than anything out there now.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I am able to make a 4 story building land on a small ship floating on the ocean, I will feel up to disparaging Musk.

Yeah, I miss having a 5 speed (that actually needs one to utilize the available performance.) I have no interest in driving a computer, though even my 17/18 year old cars have computers all over the place. But, now that I live in essentially a big city, it just becomes drudgery going up and down the gears. So an electric car would make some sense for me - if I had a place to charge it.

If I ever return to the mainland, I'll probably buy a nice sports car (and let DW have the Buick all to her self, heh, heh.)

With the tesla model s and x you are not going to save your way into justifying it. No one buys an s to save money.

It is a luxury high tech car that happens to be electric.

After owning one , most owners come to the conclusion that the range anxiety is a non issue. This is because you always leave home with a full charge. (Up to 325 miles depending on battery size).

You only need to charge if you are on a long trip.

I drive a lot (25,000 miles per year). And have used the superchargers maybe 5 - 8 times in the last 2 years.

Most people don't drive straight without a break for food every 5 hours or so on long trips. That's the only time you use superchargers

There are also destination chargers. These are at hotels and shopping malls and such but they are very slow (29 miles per hour). So you typically use these overnight. You would not want to wait for these.

Again it's a different filling system, You don't drive around until empty, you fill every night, like your cell phone

Last I heard Wisonsin would not allow Tesla to sell direct to the public. They seem to want cars sold through dealers. Has that changed?
Same in Texas. You have to go through a franchised dealer.

To buy a Tesla, you can go to a showroom, but you have to order it across state lines. Which means Tesla is not eligible for any state incentives/rebates. https://apple.news/AF078eUumOvOyB0vqtk3bbw

With respect to more extensive writing, such as legal briefs, my experience is that the main thing the computer confers is the ability to spew drivel and endlessly revise. I do not think it has improved writing at all. Thinking before writing anything, regardless of the technology, is still the essential skill.

Getting way off topic here, but WTH.... Agree with your last sentence, but "main thing"? Like you, I remember law review before PCs. No way would I want to return to that (I functioned as faculty advisor for a health law Journal for a decade; much easier than communicating by mail/phone with printers).

For appellate advocacy and complex federal/business court memos, the computer assistance is a timesaver, and results in better quality, IMHO. Sure, it can be abused--but it makes the response akin to shooting fish in a barrel. :LOL:

Wow. There are more plugin places than I thought. Www.plugshare.com

A lot seem to be residential.... not someplace I would go...

I did look at one Tesla that had 6 charging stations at a motel... guess what... 4 of the stations had non-electric cars parked in the space...

With the tesla model s and x you are not going to save your way into justifying it. No one buys an s to save money.

It is a luxury high tech car that happens to be electric.

After owning one , most owners come to the conclusion that the range anxiety is a non issue. This is because you always leave home with a full charge. (Up to 325 miles depending on battery size).

You only need to charge if you are on a long trip.

I drive a lot (25,000 miles per year). And have used the superchargers maybe 5 - 8 times in the last 2 years.

Most people don't drive straight without a break for food every 5 hours or so on long trips. That's the only time you use superchargers

There are also destination chargers. These are at hotels and shopping malls and such but they are very slow (29 miles per hour). So you typically use these overnight. You would not want to wait for these.

Again it's a different filling system, You don't drive around until empty, you fill every night, like your cell phone

One of the problems with what you write is that if I stop to eat, I want to stop at a place I actually WANT to eat at, not something that happens to be next to the supercharger....

I guess it depends on your driving patterns. For me I drive alarmist always under 250 miles a day in looking back at the last two years.

Initially I was worried about the inconvenience of charging but found ICE cars to be more inconvenient (due to my driving patterns)

I have two gas cars (RAV4 wife's, and s truck), but always take the tesla unless I need to haul stuff in the truck.

I sometimes go a month without looking at how much charge I have, it just always full when you leave the house.

I had a 220 volt charger installed at work, but found I don't use it due to it being in a further part of the parking lot. I had it installed because I too was worried about the whole charging thing

They also have a inductive charger that allows you to just park over it, so you don't need to spend the 10 seconds plugging in.

Again I guess it depends on your driving habits. I guess if you take all long trips, it may not be as convenient as gas.

I'm convinced that the market will all eventually go towards electric as batteries give a longer range and a faster charge time.

Porche is coming out with a mission E sports car in 2020 with 310 miles of range, 600 HP and charging times of 15 minutes

Back
Top Bottom