Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So, I assume that those of you who believe the border patrol should have waved his bus through and ignored the odor coming from the bus is OK. That selective enforcement of the law is fine with you.

So Joe paid off someone, well that's news, and I guess that makes it OK for Willie? What sort of reasoning is that? The biggest problem with drugs in this country is we accept those that do drugs as victims and not part of the problem. As long as to tolerate sports stars, entertainers, and others in the spot light with regards to their past and present drug use, we will never solve the problem. Either legalize it or enforce the law.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
That selective enforcement of the law is fine with you.
No enforcement of that law is even finer.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So, I assume that those of you who believe the border patrol should have waved his bus through and ignored the odor coming from the bus is OK. That selective enforcement of the law is fine with you.
Yeah, I would kinda be ok with it. Six ounces for a bunch of folks sounds like having a good time, not some major felony or intent to distribute or anything.

Given the tens of thousands of dollars this will cost taxpayers (if he goes free), seems like "in these difficult economic times" we could find a better place to spend the cash. If he ends up in jail, I imagine it will cost taxpayers even more.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You ever get stopped for a moving traffic violation and not get a ticket?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I know! This law is only meant to affect black and latino male teenagers, using a criminal record to ruin their hope of a productive future, not to harass affluent, white senior citizens! Sheesh!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #26

Then change the law, if you can't get it changed, then don't obey it, but when you get caught, be willing and prepared to do the time. We all do that to some extent. Heck, most of us don't stop completely at stop signs, and most of us exceed the speed limit from time to time.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Then change the law, if you can't get it changed, then don't obey it, but when you get caught, be willing and prepared to do the time. We all do that to some extent. Heck, most of us don't stop completely at stop signs, and most of us exceed the speed limit from time to time.

I do stop completely at all stop signs. However, I DO tend to exceed the speed limit now & then. Maybe even more than now & then.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glippy View Post
I know! This law is only meant to affect black and latino male teenagers, using a criminal record to ruin their hope of a productive future, not to harass affluent, white senior citizens! Sheesh!
+1!!!!
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Seems like ole Willie will look quite the martyr if he actually does real jail time.

Any bets on whether he will manage to smuggle in some of the good stuff if he ends up in the big house?
Old 11-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #30

Yep, Wahoo, I have, and I paid the fine. However, if it meant I was going to spend a couple years in jail, you can bet very few of us would let that needle go over the speed limit!

The illegal drug trade is not just about the occasional pot smoker. Go to El Paso, and step across the border. There are areas of AZ that are not safe to go into. The drug production in Afghanistan is financing a portion of the arms and material used against US soldiers. All of this may be a good reason to legalize drugs. None of it is a good reason not to enforce the laws when they are found to be broken.

I also find the excuse of what it is going to cost somewhat lame. You could apply it to any legal case. Hey the guy only murdered his wife, he does not have a wife anymore, you have any idea what it is going to cost to keep in jail. Give me a break! We could use the money for better use somewhere else!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #31

I think "it's the law" is just a lame justification because the laws are sometimes lame themselves. It can easily be invoked when one can't justify the punishment associated with the "crime" and even when there's no good rational or logical reason for the action.

If one has a good reason why the law should deal a harsh sentence for a "crime" they can articulate it. If they don't, they can hide behind "it's the law."
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

There are two kinds of people-authoritarians, and others. Authoritarians like laws, and lots of 'em, and harsh sentences because "It's the law." Others prefer a little more judgment.

Authoritarians are often called social conservatives. This is a major differentiator about how people will feel about any number of issues.

Ha
Old 11-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I also find the excuse of what it is going to cost somewhat lame. You could apply it to any legal case. Hey the guy only murdered his wife, he does not have a wife anymore, you have any idea what it is going to cost to keep in jail. Give me a break! We could use the money for better use somewhere else!
I would not extend my argument to unlawful activity like murder. There are real victims in cases of murder.

As a taxpayer, I don't mind expenditures that dissuade others from murder. Not doing so would increase the odds I experience a little murder perpetrated on me from time to time. I am personally opposed to that.

If someone possesses pot in the privacy of their home (or RV) next door to me, I am not victimized by it.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
If someone possesses pot in the privacy of their home (or RV) next door to me, I am not victimized by it.
Unless they fail to share...

I agree that laws should be enforced as equally as possible. I also agree that we should tread lightly on victimless crimes, or, better yet, stay out of folks' personal lives without compelling reason...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #35

My point, Fuego, is you are victimized by it!
Old 11-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Unless they fail to share...

I agree that laws should be enforced as equally as possible. I also agree that we should tread lightly on victimless crimes, or, better yet, stay out of folks' personal lives without compelling reason...
+ 3 or 4

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:25 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Most pot smokers (imho, of course) would be happy to either grow their own, or support a family farm... No need to get it from elsewhere.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not sure I follow. My neighbor minding his own business next door and having a joint every once in a while or drinking a few beers in no manner deprives me of my life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness.

In contrast, my neighbor coming over to give me a little afternoon murdering somewhat deprives me of my life, liberty, and/or pursuit of happiness. Surely you understand my willingness as a taxpayer to support law enforcement actions to deter the latter but not the former?
Old 11-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'm not sure I follow. My neighbor minding his own business next door and having a joint every once in a while or drinking a few beers in no manner deprives me of my life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness.

In contrast, my neighbor coming over to give me a little afternoon murdering somewhat deprives me of my life, liberty, and/or pursuit of happiness. Surely you understand my willingness as a taxpayer to support law enforcement actions to deter the latter but not the former?
I think he's referring to contributing to the violent drug trade by smoking pot. Having said that, the laws of prohibition are a major reason the violence exists as it does. We don't see tobacco farmers or brewers killing each other to corner the market on cigs or beer. Well, at least where the booze is concerned, we haven't seen the violence in the liquor trade since Prohibition. Coincidence? IMO, definitely not.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #40

Ziggy is right, and in one of my first post I said, it is fine with me if they legalize drug use. I have no problem doing away with the DEA, heck, I even think we could do with a lot less control of legal drugs. However, that is not the case, and as long as they are illegal, IMHO, the user is just as responsible for drug violence as the seller.