Willie Nelson still doing it his way

Seems like a good place to insert a good Willie Nelson story. About 10/15 years or so I went to see Willie play at Floore Country Store in Helotes, TX. John T Floore Country Store - Helotes, TX

(The sign in front says "Willie Nelson every Sat. Nite" ) Not true, but it's only a sign.

I was lucky enough to be walking by his tour bus just as the door opened. Willie emereged from the smokey vehicle feeling no pain and looking as happy as an entertainer can look. I was holding a large styrofoam cup containing an adult beverage and asked him to sign it, which he did. I still have the cup but the autograph has faded as has both Willie and I.

Near the end of the night Willie was introducing the band which now had Earl Campbell (UT/Houston Oilers) on guitar and well as Don Johnson (Miami Vice) also on guitar in the back. The crowd went extra nuts. How those guys ever got there is still a mystery to me. Were they smokin' with Willie in the bus? Yea, probably so.

I went to see Willie play at Floore Country Store in Helotes, TX.
That looks like a neat place!

historicalmarker.jpg

We will agree to disagree. The violent drug trade would not exist without the user, and it appears a majority of CA voters seem to think the law should still be in place even if you don't.

And, yes, if all pot was home grown, and there was no illicit trade, then Willie and those that think they are doing no harm by smoking pot would most likely be right. So if it soothes your conscious to grow you own, be my guest. But the kid next door, that thinks it is cool that his neighbor is a pot head, and buys his, is contributing to drug violence. We are great at rationalizing, and IMO that is exactly what is happening.

Edit: Ciudad Juarez is considered the most dangerous city in the world! and it's not because of the drinking water!

The violent drug trade requires two factors: demand for drugs and laws making drugs illegal.

I love him too. When he sings, you know there is a big, compassionate and very intelligent personality behind his songs. Unlike so many performers who clearly don't have a clue of the emotional depth of their songs.

I remember about 35 years ago I hardly knew who he was, and I saw him one day on daytime TV. He was singing Angel Flying Too Close to The Ground. It still sticks with me, I thought how does this guy who looks about like my grandmother pull this off?

He's a genius, one off.

Ha

Ha, all I can say is that you got really lucky in the genetic lottery if your grandmother looked like Willie Nelson 35 years ago.

img_1079572_0_88df4901037921cb1e3cc5dfc533d36f.jpg

That looks like a neat place!

historicalmarker.jpg

You know as many times as I've seen that marker this is the first time that I have actually read it. I always assumed that Willie was prominently mentioned along with Elvis, Kitty and Hank. Must have been erected during one of Willie's legal hassles.

I would love to one day see a show there! Robert Earl Keen, one of my favorite Texas singer-songwriters, plays at Floore's.

But on Saturday August 6th there is a FANTASTIC double header of Chris Knight and Reckless Kelly! WOW--now that would be a great show to see.

You should go, and tell me all about it! I drive all the way to Atlanta to see Chris Knight play, and I've only been able to see Reckless Kelly twice, but they are awesome, too!

Has anyone seen Ron White talk about his drug bust? He got busted with 7/8 of a gram of pot.

"When i have seven-eighths of a gram of marijuana, I consider myself to be out of marijuana," he told the audience, chuckling.

I love love love Willie. And I love the way he thumbs his nose at the government. I do wish he'd wear sleeves on his shirts when he performs though!

Back
Top Bottom