Willie Nelson still doing it his way

Old Willie and his crew were pretty stupid to have lit up just before crossing the border, the smell is what got the boarder officers attention. That being said there are 16M regular pot smokers in the US. I'd rather see my tax dollars go to better use then housing pot smokers?

If you are looking for an "authoritarian" then you need to first look in the mirror & then go down to the mall or town square & look in the faces of your fellow citizen voters, Ha.

It's up to the voters via their elected representatives to decide what the law will be - it's the duty of the individual law enforcement officer, government agency, & court to then apply it impartially.

In Ha's defense, he was likely talking about busybodies trying to control other folks' lives, often through laws...

As for the Border Patrol, they're in a damned if you do situation. Bust him, people bitch about busting a harmless old musician. Let him slide, and it's preferential treatment for a celebrity... :rolleyes:

I'm all for equality under the law...in fact, totally. I'm just against wasting my tax dollars busting a private citizen smoking a doobie in his personal van and harming noone but his own health and those in the van. Now, if anyone in the van was selling the stuff or importing gobs of pounds then we have a different situation.

It's the private citizen in his personal van using his personal stash for his personal use only that bothers me. If people want to harm their own health they should be allowed to I think. This is the line the government constantly wants to cross that irritates many.

But celebrities are no better than John and Jane Doe who live next door to you when laws are concerned...it's just the law can traipse over boundaries too often.

OrchidFlower,
Recently, a young couple were jet skiing on a lake on the Texas Mexico border. Drug dealers shot the husband in the head! Now Willie was just doing his thing in his van, but he contributed to that death, IMO. Those that bought booze during prohibition, contributed to the profit of the gangster element that controlled the booze. While one may like to think their actions are not hurting anyone but themselves, they are wrong. Legalize it or obey the law. Over 4,000 people in Mexico have been killed by drug gangs. These would not exist if the demand in the U.S. was not there, and the demand would not be there if it was not tolerated by good people.

Old Willie and his crew were pretty stupid to have lit up just before crossing the border, the smell is what got the boarder officers attention. That being said there are 16M regular pot smokers in the US. I'd rather see my tax dollars go to better use then housing pot smokers?

Report is that he got popped at the border patrol check station on I10 in Sierra Blanca Texas coming back from thanksgiving in California. That's border patrol and looks like it's maybe 15-20 miles from the Mexico border as the crow flies. In line with the new 100 mile jurisdiction claimed by our government for border patrol.

OrchidFlower,
Recently, a young couple were jet skiing on a lake on the Texas Mexico border. Drug dealers shot the husband in the head! Now Willie was just doing his thing in his van, but he contributed to that death, IMO. Those that bought booze during prohibition, contributed to the profit of the gangster element that controlled the booze. While one may like to think their actions are not hurting anyone but themselves, they are wrong. Legalize it or obey the law. Over 4,000 people in Mexico have been killed by drug gangs. These would not exist if the demand in the U.S. was not there, and the demand would not be there if it was not tolerated by good people.
That was unnecessarily harsh. Drunk drivers and lung cancer kill many more people. So do pharmaceuticals and hospital care. But we don't blame medical schools, tobacco farmers or distillers. Willie Nelson broke the law but his marajuana use does not support or encourage violence.

There are many laws, federal and state, that do not represent the views of the majority of citizens but the process to soften or eliminate them is onerous or impossible. Drug laws, especially those regarding use, fall into this category.

OrchidFlower,
So by buying/smoking pot that was in all probability grown in California or British Columbia, Willie contributed to the profits made by Mexicans? How did that happen?

We will agree to disagree. The violent drug trade would not exist without the user, and it appears a majority of CA voters seem to think the law should still be in place even if you don't.

And, yes, if all pot was home grown, and there was no illicit trade, then Willie and those that think they are doing no harm by smoking pot would most likely be right. So if it soothes your conscious to grow you own, be my guest. But the kid next door, that thinks it is cool that his neighbor is a pot head, and buys his, is contributing to drug violence. We are great at rationalizing, and IMO that is exactly what is happening.

Edit: Ciudad Juarez is considered the most dangerous city in the world! and it's not because of the drinking water!

So by buying/smoking pot that was in all probability grown in California or British Columbia, Willie contributed to the profits made by Mexicans? How did that happen?

The person who dreamt that up was smoking something no doubt.

We will agree to disagree. The violent drug trade would not exist without the user, and it appears a majority of CA voters seem to think the law should still be in place even if you don't.

And, yes, if all pot was home grown, and there was no illicit trade, then Willie and those that think they are doing no harm by smoking pot would most likely be right. So if it soothes your conscious to grow you own, be my guest. But the kid next door, that thinks it is cool that his neighbor is a pot head, and buys his, is contributing to drug violence. We are great at rationalizing, and IMO that is exactly what is happening.
Fair enough.

Report is that he got popped at the border patrol check station on I10 in Sierra Blanca Texas coming back from thanksgiving in California. ... In line with the new 100 mile jurisdiction claimed by our government for border patrol.
So, REWahoo, Texas really has instituted border checks for illegal Californians?

I wonder if I should get my passport stamped next time I visit...

So, REWahoo, Texas really has instituted border checks for illegal Californians?

I wonder if I should get my passport stamped next time I visit...

At the risk of being accused of being a member of the grammar police, you're being redundant.

Heh heh... Though I think Willie qualifies as a Texan.

Loved this reply in the comment section below the article:

Willie Nelson, like fire ants, killer bees, axis deer, and tobacco stained Toyota Tundras pickups is a transplant to Texas, so his behavior is understandable (no relatives watching). He sings a good song, tell an interesting tale....occasionally his behavior spooks the livestock, but he is 78. Which proves we all have to get old, but we don't have to grow up.

Thanks REW for the link. I saw Willie at Billy Bob's in Fort Worth. He started playing about 10:30. The band and Willie played for about an hour straight, after which the band took a break and left Willie all alone on the stage with his guitar. His picking is worth the price of a ticket. I hope he's still playing when he's 88 (and of course, I hope to be around to enjoy it.)

He is one amazing old guy - I love his picking.
I love him too. When he sings, you know there is a big, compassionate and very intelligent personality behind his songs. Unlike so many performers who clearly don't have a clue of the emotional depth of their songs.

I remember about 35 years ago I hardly knew who he was, and I saw him one day on daytime TV. He was singing Angel Flying Too Close to The Ground. It still sticks with me, I thought how does this guy who looks about like my grandmother pull this off?

He's a genius, one off.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom