Join Early Retirement Today

"Windows Live ID Login" Appears
Old 09-13-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Windows Live ID Login" Appears

I downloaded MyPublisher.com's BookMaker application. Every time I run it, the login screen for "Windows Live ID" appears. If I try to login, I get an error. This happens even if nothing else is running.

The company swears that they have no affiliation with Windows Live ID, and it's not their app that's doing this.

I've reinstalled, and rebooted, but it still happens. A google groups search brings up no similar problems.

It's only annoying, but I'd like to solve it. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

TAL----- I did a google search on 'windows live id login' and got lotsa hits....

this one is informative: Windows Live ID: The beginning of Windows Live ID

"Windows Live ID is the upgrade/replacement for the Microsoft Passport service and is the identity and authentication gateway service for cross-device access to Microsoft online services, such as Windows Live, MSN, Office Live and Xbox Live."

Old 09-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. Yes, I get plenty of hits for Windows Live ID, but I don't get any hits for the problem of the Windows Live ID login appearing when it should not.

My guess is that either the application does use Windows Live ID authentication in some way, and the tech support person who responded didn't know what he was talking about. I can't think of any other good explanation, other than a virus or spyware app.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Solved it: Spyware.

Looks like it was spyware. I ran an Adaware scan, quarantined/deleted the things it found, and the problem is now gone.

Thanks for the help,
Old 09-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Someone PM'd me to suggest that I change the password if I'd entered it when that dialog appeared.

Right. I've done that. Interesting how effective a phishing scheme like would be. I certainly didn't suspect anything when that dialog first appeared -- assumed that bookmaker needed that, and put my password right in.