"Windows Live ID Login" Appears

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I downloaded MyPublisher.com's BookMaker application. Every time I run it, the login screen for "Windows Live ID" appears. If I try to login, I get an error. This happens even if nothing else is running.

The company swears that they have no affiliation with Windows Live ID, and it's not their app that's doing this.

I've reinstalled, and rebooted, but it still happens. A google groups search brings up no similar problems.

It's only annoying, but I'd like to solve it. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

TAL----- I did a google search on 'windows live id login' and got lotsa hits....

this one is informative: Windows Live ID: The beginning of Windows Live ID

"Windows Live ID is the upgrade/replacement for the Microsoft Passport service and is the identity and authentication gateway service for cross-device access to Microsoft online services, such as Windows Live, MSN, Office Live and Xbox Live."

Thanks. Yes, I get plenty of hits for Windows Live ID, but I don't get any hits for the problem of the Windows Live ID login appearing when it should not.

My guess is that either the application does use Windows Live ID authentication in some way, and the tech support person who responded didn't know what he was talking about. I can't think of any other good explanation, other than a virus or spyware app.

Solved it: Spyware.

Looks like it was spyware. I ran an Adaware scan, quarantined/deleted the things it found, and the problem is now gone.

Thanks for the help,

Someone PM'd me to suggest that I change the password if I'd entered it when that dialog appeared.

Right. I've done that. Interesting how effective a phishing scheme like would be. I certainly didn't suspect anything when that dialog first appeared -- assumed that bookmaker needed that, and put my password right in.

Back
Top Bottom