Join Early Retirement Today

Windows updated 3 times this week . What's up ?
Old 10-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Windows updated 3 times this week . What's up ?

Microsoft pushed out windows security updates 3 times this week , instead of the usual once weekly on Tuesday. Big cyber attacks going on ?
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I always suspect nefarious motives, like maybe they are mining your hard drive for useful data.
cbo
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No they fixed one issue and created 2 others. IDK for sure that's what happened, but it's 'normal' in the industry today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I doubt you want to know (really), but if you must Four more botched Microsoft patches: KB 3000061, KB 2984972, KB 2949927, KB 2995388 | InfoWorld.

You asked, but don't say I didn't warn you...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:25 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

One of these $^(*%@ updates forced my laptop to reboot during some typing I was doing, I lost quite a bit of it. I suspect there was a warning, but was typing away and probably inadvertently caused it to shut things down.

Uggh.

If Apple could find a way to buy an ad on any rebooted browser immediately after a computer has had a forced Windows shutdown, they could sell a lot of machines.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Had a meeting today at 10, went to shut down my computer which I needed for the meeting and the stupid updates start. I waited 15 minutes before I had to leave, closing my computer. Get to my meeting, they still wouldn't finish loading, three hours later, I could finally access the reports I needed to present.
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #7

I got a single update of 19 fixes about 3 days ago. My system is set up to install updates whenever it is restarted. I turn it off at night so I know there was only the one update this week.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I thought Windows updated on the first Tuesday of every month.

I did get an update yesterday - I think this has to do with two vulnerabilities in Windows that were recently identified.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #9

I looking at update history , one dated 10/14 , 9 dated 10/16 , one dated 10/17
Old 10-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I learned my lesson long ago and have switched to manual updates only. You can configure how, when and IF Windows updates itself.
Karloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Linux
Old 10-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

usual Win updates are the second Tues of the month
drb391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Java keeps telling me they have an update but the last time I did that I got a lot of ads popping up. Do I really need Java? If I don't I am really tempted to uninstall.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Java keeps telling me they have an update but the last time I did that I got a lot of ads popping up. Do I really need Java? If I don't I am really tempted to uninstall.
IIRC, It's where you loaded java from, check out this thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ad.php?t=73282

Old 10-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
IIRC, It's where you loaded java from, check out this thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ad.php?t=73282

Edit to add: takeaway is to only download from java.com/..........

Old 10-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Husband has a new W7 computer and is being driven nuts by a security precaution when he inserts a thumb drive. It asks for a password on the security tab but can't find a security tab. ARAHH!
Old 10-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have had Windows under my control for years. I install updates at the end of the day when there are more than 12 pending. I will download their virus definitions file more often from MSE before running it once a week.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I figured out the problem, it was an HP security setting on his new 'puter. Solved, I hope.

I do understand why that was done as these little drives are a source of viruses and data theft. The drives are new from Costco so no chance of the former. I will teach DH how to change that setting should he take that computer out of the house.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I will teach DH how to change that setting should he take that computer out of the house.
Or, obviously, put any USB drive into the machine if it has ever been in another machine. (Sorry to add on, but just wanted to close the loop)

All the interdependent failure modes of our present personal IT systems are a PITA. We're at the stage now where the automobile was in 1915: You couldn't really operate a car to do anything practical unless you knew a lot about how it worked (how to adjust the carburetor, set the points, troubleshoot engine and transmission problems, change frequent flat tires, etc.). Today, you don't need to know any of that to operate a car. Someday our computers will just "work" without demanding that we know much about them. And before the Apple folks pile on--I think even the most rabid Apple fan would be surprised at the amount of stuff they have in their head that is needed to make things work.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote