Windshield wiper blades

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
I thought about posting in the current thread about windshield replacement but that’s a bigger topic. I found an older thread with this same title but am guessing it’s expired.

My question is pretty basic: my car (SUV) is long past the point of needing new wiper blades. Any recommendations for particular brands? I don’t mind spending a little more for something that’s rarely replaced, especially in a warmer climate than the snowy/icy north.

Thanks for any tips!

I've been very pleased with the quality of Rain-X blades. Better than others I've used. Most auto parts stores carry them.

I have switched to silicone wiper blades, currently using Wipe Away brand blades purchased from Amazon. The Florida sun and heat destroys conventional blades relatively quickly, especially on cars parked outside, and so far the silicone blades are still working like new 8 months later. Time will tell if they are worth the extra cost.

I got some Bosch blades at a local auto parts store and was unable to successfully install them even after watching several YouTube videos showing how to do it - I even broke part of the blade attachment assembly in the process. So I ordered RainX from Amazon and it installed in seconds. YMMV.

They've only been on a few weeks but so far they work great.

Just replaced ours with rainx brand. I think the difference between the mid price and the upper are the rubber boots that keep snow and ice from freezing.

I bought a set of Bosch and had no problem installing them. They work very nicely, no streaks and no sound.

Most seem to be about the same IMO but at the first sign of trouble, I change them out. I typically use RainX but that's probably because of availability more than anything else. Actually I apply RainX liquid to the windshield monthly and that helps clear the water away more than the wiper blades. (IMO)

Changing out wiper blades (or the entire arm assembly) is like anything else. Simple once you know how.

Last edited:
One thing I recall from delivering auto parts as a kid, many auto parts come out of the same factory in different packages. I'm not sure about blades.

Walker made the best pipes, mufflers and clamps. They also shipped us products with Sears, Kmart, NAPA, labels too.

Thanks again for the feedback (mostly positive regarding brands). I’ll keep reading here and head out to grab a new pair this week. My vehicle uses different sizes for driver and passenger side; it also has the rear wiper but that’s less of a concern.

One takeaway for me is that I’ve been WAY too delinquent on this. I think the CR guide overdoes it in terms of frequency though. Best to judge for yourself if you’re in danger of whacking a deer due to poor visibility.

Last edited:
I buy mine at Menards, they have them free after rebate once or twice a year.
I change them out roughly once per year, I don't care what brand they are.

I once got the rubber covered type as they are supposed to be better for winter, but I didn't find that to be true, as I'm going to lift and slap down the blades when clearing ice/snow off windshield.
I once started my wipers without lifting and slapping down the blade, and the blades were frozen to the glass, so the wiper motor link broke and I had no wipers that day :eek:

My vehicle uses different sizes for driver and passenger side; it also has the rear wiper but that’s less of a concern.
If the blades come as a pair of the same size, then so what? You then have a set in storage for the next time you need to replace them.

For me, I want a blade that doesn't streak, doesn't squeak, and doesn't chatter in the cold.

Bosch - they are awesome - sturdy, and durable. Only a little more expensive, but just buy them on Amazon and you can easily replace on your own. I purchased them the past few times and won't use anything else.

Last edited:
No recommendations as to brand, but the last time I bought wiper blades I bought them online from Advance Auto Parts because they had online only sales. I chose in-store pickup, went up a half hour later, and had them install the wipers. Saved $7 vs. having just gone in the store to purchase.

If the blades come as a pair of the same size, then so what? You then have a set in storage for the next time you need to replace them.

For me, I want a blade that doesn't streak, doesn't squeak, and doesn't chatter in the cold.
Any I've seen are sold individually.

I go to a drive through oil change place called "Five Minute Oil Change". They point out to me when my wiper blades need changing, if I don't point it out to them first. They change my wiper blades for me.

I don't remember what brand they use but the wiper blades are perfect. I just sit in my Venza like the Queen of Sheba, chatting with F while we sip on the free diet Cokes that they bring to us, and let the peons do the work.

I used to change my own wiper blades and I am probably the least competent person imaginable at doing it. You would not believe how badly someone can mess up a simple task like that. We all have our areas of competence and that isn't one of mine.

I go to a drive through oil change place called "Five Minute Oil Change". They point out to me when my wiper blades need changing, if I don't point it out to them first. They change my wiper blades for me.

I don't remember what brand they use but the wiper blades are perfect. I just sit in my Venza like the Queen of Sheba, chatting with F while we sip on the free diet Cokes that they bring to us, and let the peons do the work.

Luxurious! I have this vision of Bourbon Street but I think that’s mostly people walking and not so much Diet Coke. But what do I know?

Luxurious! I have this vision of Bourbon Street but I think that’s mostly people walking and not so much Diet Coke. But what do I know?

Yeah, this is out in suburbia, not Bourbon Street. :D Although we do have a lot of drive through daiquiri places in our suburb, but F and I don't drink, so we don't really notice them.

I buy them at Costco. The ones that I last bought in Michigan had enclosed springs so they did not clog with ice.

Actually I apply RainX liquid to the windshield monthly and that helps clear the water away more than the wiper blades. (IMO)

+1 on the RainX. Actually, when the rain is light, I'm normally the last guy to need the wipers especially at highway speeds where the wind and RainX take care of business.

This thread got me off the dime and I ordered some for both my DW and my car...

I bought from Amazon but they had a set of two with the correct blades for the car... not one at a time...

RainX it was. The comments in this thread helped, thanks much.

All set and the car thinks it had cataracts removed. I think it’s less likely I’ll run into any of you!

[ADDED] Cost for each blade was $8.54 @ Walmart.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom