Join Early Retirement Today

Would you be nervous in my neighborhood?
Old 02-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've written on this site about my decision to sell my townhome because of my HOA problems. But this other situation makes me think I'm right to move. What do you think?

I live a couple of blocks from a homeless shelter where transients can get a bed for the night. A few times I have seen truly scary looking men hanging around the nearby service station. My dog, who never growls at anyone on our walks, growled at these guys from a distance.

A few days ago a group of scruffy guys called out to me as i was walking by the same service station. "Hellooo! Helloooo!" I figured they were going to hit me up for a donation so I ignored it.

The other night there was a guy with a backpack walking up and down on the other side of the street. My dog kept barking at him.

I have never been worried about this situation until recently. There appear to be a lot more "homeless transients" on the street now, begging on street intersections, etc. even though it's winter. I have donated to several of them recently because they appeared atypical, for example, an elderly fellow and a married couple who didn't appear to be alcoholics. I also donate to Salvation Army and to my local homeless shelter.

So, I'm not concerned about being around people down on their luck, only about my own safety. Would this situation make you nervous, if you were a woman living alone? I haven't lived in an urban area since I was about 28, a LOOOONG time ago.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I know this would make me nervous but I am a bit of a hick country fella that sees very little of what you describe. When I do make my way to the "big city" (Seattle), I always feel guarded and try to be alert to the area I am in.

I also believe a dog can sense "things" (not mine, but that is another thread....) and they are often a better judge of motives than we humans.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
Administrator

OldBabe, call me paranoid but I would be pretty careful given the description you have given. Better to be overly cautious and safe when you aren't sure of the situation.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:32 PM   #4

I don't think I'd feel all that comfortable in that situation, and I can only trying to imagine being a woman living alone. Keep the dog barking. Good doggie.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It would make me really nervous . The one thing you absolutely need when living alone is a super safe area . You are making a good decision to move .
Old 02-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I don't think I'd feel all that comfortable in that situation, and I can only trying to imagine being a woman living alone. Keep the dog barking. Good doggie.
Oh, yes, he is a good doggie, the best!

It's good to have some affirmation for what I've been feeling. Most people here are used to the homeless and whenever I mention any apprehension they look at me like I am politically incorrect, if you know what I mean.

There was one guy I saw at the service station who I can only describe as a "bad spirit." I know this description will sound bizarre. But he had such a bad vibe that I could hardly look back at him after the first glance. There have been news stories about guys released from prison who end up staying at this nearby homeless shelter.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
It's good to have some affirmation for what I've been feeling. Most people here are used to the homeless and whenever I mention any apprehension they look at me like I am politically incorrect, if you know what I mean.
I know EXACTLY what you mean. Just because you may feel badly for them about their situation and you may sincerely want those who truly want to help themselves find the strength and help they need to get off the street doesn't mean you want to live in the midst of it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
There was one guy I saw at the service station who I can only describe as a "bad spirit." I know this description will sound bizarre. But he had such a bad vibe that I could hardly look back at him after the first glance.
I think I know exactly what you mean. In a case like this, I'd urge you to go with your gut feelings, and at least stay far away from this guy.

Edited to add: obviously you are communicating! Ziggy and I both think we know exactly what you mean. (grin)

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I think I know exactly what you mean. In a case like this, I'd urge you to go with your gut feelings, and at least stay far away from this guy.

Edited to add: obviously you are communicating! Ziggy and I both think we know exactly what you mean. (grin)
I always go with my gut feelings. At my age I've learned the hard way that my intuitive feelings/instincts/hunches are usually right. I'm not concerned about my ability to take the right action. But it's annoying to me to feel nervous about taking my dog out at night to pee. And let's not forget the coyotes who patrol my neighborhood too! But I'm not nearly as wary about them.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
Administrator

Good - - I am glad you are moving, too!! Before too long this may not be an issue for you. And yes, I'd feel nervous too, taking my dog out for a walk given what you have told me. Maybe you can get him to do his stuff close by.

I am glad that you know about going with your gut feelings. I thought you probably would - - but it is hard to tell on the internet so I'm sorry if I acted like you didn't know that. This guy could be big trouble.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I always go with my gut feelings. At my age I've learned the hard way that my intuitive feelings/instincts/hunches are usually right. I'm not concerned about my ability to take the right action. But it's annoying to me to feel nervous about taking my dog out at night to pee. And let's not forget the coyotes who patrol my neighborhood too! But I'm not nearly as wary about them.
Your gut feelings are most likely spot on. And your dog is doing his job very well, defending his mistress by establishing his presence to strangers. Good dog!
My feeling is women who are alone are ALWAYS a target for a nut.
Please invest in a handheld pepper spray as backup for times, even in broad daylight, when the pooch isn't with you. Always check to see who is nearby, men and women alike, no matter how they are dressed.
Don't be afraid to admit you are afraid, and always be aware.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I am glad that you know about going with your gut feelings. I thought you probably would - - but it is hard to tell on the internet so I'm sorry if I acted like you didn't know that. This guy could be big trouble.
No offense taken, no apologies needed!

Who knows where that particular guy is now. I've never seen him again. There's always a new crew coming out of the shelter every day, it seems.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Trust your dog.

But it's probably not as bad as it feels in terms of something significant happening. Still, you have to react to how you feel and if home is no longer a place you feel secure, you have to do something.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Here's the question - Why live there? You are not doing charity work among the disadvantage. It is your life. You're moving, right?

Is it a touch of the John Wayne complex? When the Bronx was on the downward slide - drugs, poverty in the 70s a friend of mine said we had to stay and fight it - The John Wayne complex. Everyone else left.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Here's the question - Why live there? You are not doing charity work among the disadvantage. It is your life. You're moving, right?

Is it a touch of the John Wayne complex? When the Bronx was on the downward slide - drugs, poverty in the 70s a friend of mine said we had to stay and fight it - The John Wayne complex. Everyone else left.
Here's the deal. I live in a high priced area with a homeless shelter nearby. It's not on the downward slide at all. There are MANY attractive attributes to my neighborhood. But I take your point.

My dog says "Thanks, guys!" for all the words of confidence.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Yes.

My home is my sanctuary. If I felt nervous about my surroundings, I would not be able to relax. Sounds like it's time for you to move on down the road.

Give the pup a belly rub.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #17

Quote:

I have never been worried about this situation until recently. There appear to be a lot more "homeless transients" on the street now, begging on street intersections, etc. even though it's winter.

You indicate that there has been a change in the situation. Perhaps this is due to a change in operational procedure at the shelter, which could mean nothing or many things. Are they taking more homeless in and if yes, is it legal to do so? Have they got some new residents who the police might be interested in? Are your neighbors noting these changes? Point is, you apparently were not bothered before , but now you are. Something has changed and not for the good and perhaps not legal.
Maybe it is time to speak with your city council rep. OTOH, if you are selling, maybe you should keep all this a deep dark secret

Moderater note: My frequent use of the word "change " was not meant to be political
Old 02-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Moderater note: My frequent use of the word "change " was not meant to be political
Angel, I speak only for myself; you might be more careful with your spelling.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I would contact the police who patrol the neighborhood, share with them what you are seeing. They may be in a position to put a 'hustle along' to these folks. Can you imagine how the employees of the service station must feel?
Old 02-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Don't forget the pepper spray -
Self-Defense & Safety Products - Pepper Spray | Pepperspray.com