Would you be nervous in my neighborhood?

Zoocat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've written on this site about my decision to sell my townhome because of my HOA problems. But this other situation makes me think I'm right to move. What do you think?

I live a couple of blocks from a homeless shelter where transients can get a bed for the night. A few times I have seen truly scary looking men hanging around the nearby service station. My dog, who never growls at anyone on our walks, growled at these guys from a distance.

A few days ago a group of scruffy guys called out to me as i was walking by the same service station. "Hellooo! Helloooo!" I figured they were going to hit me up for a donation so I ignored it.

The other night there was a guy with a backpack walking up and down on the other side of the street. My dog kept barking at him.

I have never been worried about this situation until recently. There appear to be a lot more "homeless transients" on the street now, begging on street intersections, etc. even though it's winter. I have donated to several of them recently because they appeared atypical, for example, an elderly fellow and a married couple who didn't appear to be alcoholics. I also donate to Salvation Army and to my local homeless shelter.

So, I'm not concerned about being around people down on their luck, only about my own safety. Would this situation make you nervous, if you were a woman living alone? I haven't lived in an urban area since I was about 28, a LOOOONG time ago.

I know this would make me nervous but I am a bit of a [-]hick[/-] country fella that sees very little of what you describe. When I do make my way to the "big city" (Seattle), I always feel guarded and try to be alert to the area I am in.

I also believe a dog can sense "things" (not mine, but that is another thread....:LOL:) and they are often a better judge of motives than we humans.

OldBabe, call me paranoid but I would be pretty careful given the description you have given. Better to be overly cautious and safe when you aren't sure of the situation.

I don't think I'd feel all that comfortable in that situation, and I can only trying to imagine being a woman living alone. Keep the dog barking. Good doggie.

It would make me really nervous . The one thing you absolutely need when living alone is a super safe area . You are making a good decision to move .

I don't think I'd feel all that comfortable in that situation, and I can only trying to imagine being a woman living alone. Keep the dog barking. Good doggie.

Oh, yes, he is a good doggie, the best!

It's good to have some affirmation for what I've been feeling. Most people here are used to the homeless and whenever I mention any apprehension they look at me like I am politically incorrect, if you know what I mean.

There was one guy I saw at the service station who I can only describe as a "bad spirit." I know this description will sound bizarre. But he had such a bad vibe that I could hardly look back at him after the first glance. There have been news stories about guys released from prison who end up staying at this nearby homeless shelter.

It's good to have some affirmation for what I've been feeling. Most people here are used to the homeless and whenever I mention any apprehension they look at me like I am politically incorrect, if you know what I mean.
I know EXACTLY what you mean. Just because you may feel badly for them about their situation and you may sincerely want those who truly want to help themselves find the strength and help they need to get off the street doesn't mean you want to live in the midst of it.

There was one guy I saw at the service station who I can only describe as a "bad spirit." I know this description will sound bizarre. But he had such a bad vibe that I could hardly look back at him after the first glance.
I think I know exactly what you mean. In a case like this, I'd urge you to go with your gut feelings, and at least stay far away from this guy.

Edited to add: obviously you are communicating! Ziggy and I both think we know exactly what you mean. (grin)

I think I know exactly what you mean. In a case like this, I'd urge you to go with your gut feelings, and at least stay far away from this guy.

Edited to add: obviously you are communicating! Ziggy and I both think we know exactly what you mean. (grin)

I always go with my gut feelings. At my age I've learned the hard way that my intuitive feelings/instincts/hunches are usually right. I'm not concerned about my ability to take the right action. But it's annoying to me to feel nervous about taking my dog out at night to pee. And let's not forget the coyotes who patrol my neighborhood too! But I'm not nearly as wary about them.

Good - - I am glad you are moving, too!! Before too long this may not be an issue for you. And yes, I'd feel nervous too, taking my dog out for a walk given what you have told me. Maybe you can get him to do his stuff close by.

I am glad that you know about going with your gut feelings. I thought you probably would - - but it is hard to tell on the internet so I'm sorry if I acted like you didn't know that. This guy could be big trouble.

Last edited:
I always go with my gut feelings. At my age I've learned the hard way that my intuitive feelings/instincts/hunches are usually right. I'm not concerned about my ability to take the right action. But it's annoying to me to feel nervous about taking my dog out at night to pee. And let's not forget the coyotes who patrol my neighborhood too! But I'm not nearly as wary about them.
Your gut feelings are most likely spot on. And your dog is doing his job very well, defending his mistress by establishing his presence to strangers. Good dog!
My feeling is women who are alone are ALWAYS a target for a nut.
Please invest in a handheld pepper spray as backup for times, even in broad daylight, when the pooch isn't with you. Always check to see who is nearby, men and women alike, no matter how they are dressed.
Don't be afraid to admit you are afraid, and always be aware.

I am glad that you know about going with your gut feelings. I thought you probably would - - but it is hard to tell on the internet so I'm sorry if I acted like you didn't know that. This guy could be big trouble.

No offense taken, no apologies needed!

Who knows where that particular guy is now. I've never seen him again. There's always a new crew coming out of the shelter every day, it seems.

Trust your dog.

But it's probably not as bad as it feels in terms of something significant happening. Still, you have to react to how you feel and if home is no longer a place you feel secure, you have to do something.

Here's the question - Why live there? You are not doing charity work among the disadvantage. It is your life. You're moving, right?

Is it a touch of the John Wayne complex? When the Bronx was on the downward slide - drugs, poverty in the 70s a friend of mine said we had to stay and fight it - The John Wayne complex. Everyone else left.

Here's the question - Why live there? You are not doing charity work among the disadvantage. It is your life. You're moving, right?

Is it a touch of the John Wayne complex? When the Bronx was on the downward slide - drugs, poverty in the 70s a friend of mine said we had to stay and fight it - The John Wayne complex. Everyone else left.

Here's the deal. I live in a high priced area with a homeless shelter nearby. It's not on the downward slide at all. There are MANY attractive attributes to my neighborhood. But I take your point.

My dog says "Thanks, guys!" for all the words of confidence.

Would you be nervous in my neighborhood?

Yes.

My home is my sanctuary. If I felt nervous about my surroundings, I would not be able to relax. Sounds like it's time for you to move on down the road.

Give the pup a belly rub. :)

I have never been worried about this situation until recently. There appear to be a lot more "homeless transients" on the street now, begging on street intersections, etc. even though it's winter.

You indicate that there has been a change in the situation. Perhaps this is due to a change in operational procedure at the shelter, which could mean nothing or many things. Are they taking more homeless in and if yes, is it legal to do so? Have they got some new residents who the police might be interested in? Are your neighbors noting these changes? Point is, you apparently were not bothered before , but now you are. Something has changed and not for the good and perhaps not legal.
Maybe it is time to speak with your city council rep. OTOH, if you are selling, maybe you should keep all this a deep dark secret:whistle:

Moderater note: My frequent use of the word "change " was not meant to be political:angel:

I would contact the police who patrol the neighborhood, share with them what you are seeing. They may be in a position to put a 'hustle along' to these folks. Can you imagine how the employees of the service station must feel?

I think you should definitely follow your gut, stay a safe distance away from fellers who are given you the heebies.

There's a difference between feeling bad for someone who is down on their luck and feeling unsafe in your neighborhood. Also, do these folks seem to have mental problems too? That definitely ups the safety problems.

I've had a friend punched straight in the face by a random street person while she was just walking down the street, another coworker saw a woman grabbed aggressively by another deranged fellow and another coworker had a woman try to grab her baby from her arms while walking down the street, a man walked toward me who I thought was just another homeless guy, as he came closer gave me the creeps, he was saying nasty sexual things to me and then I realized he had a broken bottle in his hand - I was taking a walk with my daughter in the stroller - luckily it was a busy area and i felt relatively safe enough to walk quickly away from him and he was too slow to do anything. I think the mental illness and alcohol/drug abuse factor ups the anty - take good caution and play safe rather than "sorry" !

I second or third the pepper spray, but make sure you read the instructions completely and make yourself very familiar with the can. If you need it you will be using it in a tense situation and the more familiar you are with how the can feels in your hand with the nozzel pointing away from you the better.

Bruce

Good your getting out. My wife who trusts no one carries mace with her if it is legal in your state.

It's funny, but mace is legal in NY, where we come from, but guns are not. In Nevada where we are now, guns are legal, but I believe mace is not, go figure. But she brought the mace from NY. She is always at the ready, when out in the street, and especially when opening the door.

jug

It's funny, but mace is legal in NY, where we come from, but guns are not. In Nevada where we are now, guns are legal, but I believe mace is not, go figure. But she brought the mace from NY. She is always at the ready, when out in the street, and especially when opening the door.

jug

Carry it anyway.

"I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six."

OldBabe, sorry you have to deal with this. I think the idea of talking to the police is a good one, sounds like the area could use a conspicuous police presence. Where I live, a safe block can be just a few steps from a red-light district, gang turf, and/or drug dealing area. I’ve had a couple of situations where I wandered just off the beaten path and was stopped by cops (sometimes undercover) who told me to get out of the area. I won’t move and won’t give up my joy in walking around the city but am very aware. I don’t carry weapons or pepper spray but do sometimes use evasive measures if someone is following too close or walking too slow up ahead, turning around often, apparently to see why I’m not catching up. The flip side of this is that bad things also happen in good areas, city or country. As they used to say in the ‘60s in pseudo Latin, “illegitimus non carborundum."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom