WWII Bombers over AZ

RW,
Thanks much for that. Beautiful shots, very well kept aircraft.
It would have been amazing to see 1000 B-17s and B-24s in the skies at once for one of the larger missions.

Now I remember why I love Arizona.

Beautiful video, thanks for posting!

Nice film and thanks for posting. There have been a number of times when the B-17's and B-25 bombers have made appearances here in the Tampa area. Most times at MacDill AFB. They offer rides to raise funds for the maintenance of the planes. I think the B-17 ride goes for $375. They also take WWII vets for free rides every once in a while. Not many of these planes around anymore. The Confederate Air Force is one group that has some planes of that vintage. I think they based are in Harlingen, TX.

I should do that one time. As many times as I've seen the movie "Memphis Belle" I could probably fly it.

Last edited:
. The Confederate Air Force is one group that has some planes of that vintage. I think they based are in Harlingen, TX.
They changed their name a few years ago to The Commemorative Air Force (political correctness in action). The CAF HQ was relocated to Midland, TX but the CAF has a number of wings and vintage aircraft located all over the US.

-= COMMEMORATIVE AIR FORCE =-

As many times as I've seen the movie "Memphis Belle" I could probably fly it.
:)

Although I've never flown a WWII aircraft I did have the opportunity to spend a couple of years flying an aircraft designed in that era (1946) with many similarities to those old warbirds. Here's a vintage promotional video of the Convair 220/340/440. The military version was known as the T-29, based on the Convair 340.

Convair CV-240/340/440-"Promo Film"-1954-Part l/ll - YouTube

Starting those Pratt & Whitney 18 cylinder, 2,000 hp engines was an art. :)

Last edited:
Stunning video, although I cringed a bit at seeing those priceless airplanes that close to mountains.

Stunning video, although I cringed a bit at seeing those priceless airplanes that close to mountains.
I initially thought they weren't all that close, it was an illusion of a long lens. Then the mountain peak passed between the camera and the B-17...

Riding in one of those WWII war birds is on my bucket list.

Beautiful video!

The B25's bring to mind a failed attempt to eradicate fire ants. I guess this was back in the 1950's. War surplus B25's were used to drop Mirex (banned many years ago). The Mirex was applied to ground corn meal that was dropped from B25's flying low with the bomb bay doors open. The government did this over much of the Southeast USA.

The B25's were more effective against the Germans and Japanese. I think we have more fire ants now than ever before.

The B25's were more effective against the Germans and Japanese. I think we have more fire ants now than ever before.
I guess the Politically Incorrect response would be..."There are also more Germans and Japanese now..." ;)

Back
Top Bottom