Join Early Retirement Today

...yet another phishing scam via my email
Old 05-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
...yet another phishing scam via my email

I have never had a Chase Account of any kind...

Quote:
Due to the number of incorrect login attempts, your Chase Account has been locked for your security.
This has been done to secure your accounts and to protect your private information in case the login
attempts were not done by you.

At Chase Bank we care about your security so, for your protection we are proactively notifying you of
this activity. If you did not trigger this lockout, follow this link to Log on to your Chase Online Account :

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I have never had a Chase Account of any kind...
You might be a victim of identity thief... they opened an account at Chase using your name.
I would call Chase to figure this one out. Although it could be phishing as you suspect. IMO you should not click on any of the links in that note.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
You might be a victim of identity thief..
Hmm...but how would Chase have my email address and want me to send them data?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

More than likely phishing....

Chase does not send links... I saw one link that someone posted and they had an exact copy of the Chase site (I am a Chase customer)... but the URL was not Chase...

as you know... NEVER follow a link to any of your accounts...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Hmm...but how would Chase have my email address and want me to send them data?
"Chase" doesn't have any information about you nor are they even aware that someone is using their name. What someone has done is send out a kagillion (that's a billion billion) emails so as to hit upon those that do have a Chase account. They hope that one of those people will panic and click on the links so they (the phisher) can weedle the data needed to access an account. It is not directed at you personally... you are what is know as "collateral." See Phishing.

If you are civic minded (and you think you will make a difference), you can log in to Chase"s website (Chase Personal Banking Investments Credit Cards Student Loans Home Auto Commercial Small Business Insurance) and find their fraud department's email address (fraudfile@chase.com.) and forward the offending email with (very important) the header information.

You could also forward the same information to the originating ISP using something like NetInfo - IPNetInfo: Retrieve IP Address Information from WHOIS servers to obtain their Abuse Department address.

or... you can just hit the "delete" key and enjoy the rest of your day.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote