You know you are retired when..

Greathusky74

Dryer sheet aficionado
someone says to "have a great weekend" and you think for a second because every day is a weekend.

Thought this would be fun with other observations....

When you don't wake up at 2am to check your international emails.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

You could post a dozen responses in this thread. :)

I misread the title. I tough it read "You know your ready to retire when......." My bad?!?!?

A list from the net........

1. You remember where your office is, but not exactly what you do there.​
2. It’s more satisfying to carry your dog’s pooper scooper than your briefcase.​
3. You’ve been drinking the office coffee so long you think it actually tastes good.​
4. Spreading sheets sounds more appealing than a spreadsheet.​
5. A “nice little fling at the office” means you hit the wastebasket with a wad of paper.​
6. The office stockboy is younger than your grandkids.​
7. You can’t remember when it was that they offered you an early retirement package, but you’re pretty sure Reagan was president then.​
8. When the guys ask you if you’re “getting any,” you think it means sleep.​
9. You have enough money for a yacht, but a pop-up camper sounds like more fun.​
10. The candles on your birthday cake set off the office smoke alarm.​
11. Your computer screensaver is a scene from Green Acres - so you can daydream about buying a farm.​
12. You’re not sure how to work the fax machine, and have no idea what a scanner is.​

Last edited:
Personally, I don't like the weekends or holidays anymore now that I'm retired. (I try to stay home on most weekends now) Roads are too crowded and so are all the stores, movies, restaurants etc. However, weekdays are great. Everything is open and very few crowds. :dance:

When you don't know what day of the week it is!
Not funny, it's happening more and more often to me. I just want to be sure it's not Saturday or Sunday.

I've always felt that if "every day feels like the weekend", you still haven't mentally retired.

IMHO, that "weekend feeling" means that you're still measuring the days within a workplace context.

I think you're only fully/mentally retired once every day is just a 'day in your life' (whether you know exactly what day it is) and you just go about your day.

Some trust-funders (never had a job) I know have never said that it feels like the weekend...it's just a day in their life and whether a weekend day or week day makes little difference. They never had a work week to measure against.

Last edited:
You can sleep as late as you want every day and nobody cares.

Instead of TGIF it is TGIM.

When your only concern about scheduling anything is to avoid traffic.

Not funny, it's happening more and more often to me. I just want to be sure it's not Saturday or Sunday.

That is my only concern about what day is it? Binary answer today it's either a weekend/holiday or not.

Not sure exactly what month it is on any given day. Really don't care either.

The battery in every watch you own, and I own a lot of watches, is dead...:facepalm:

I had need of a watch last week, but had to rely on my cell.

Happy Hour is truly happy and not another "b#tch" session.

Sent from my LGL34C using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

A school bus roars by my house in the morning, and I can just roll over and pull up the covers (confident that I didn't oversleep)!

:D

When you send a nephew Nord's book cause he's getting to 'that' age. You know the same one you gave Bogle's first book when he got out of the Naval Academy.

heh heh heh - about the same year you stopped referring to yourself as an 'unemployed slacker' and mentally shifted to ER in your heart of hearts. :facepalm: :dance::dance::greetings10:.

Personally, I don't like the weekends or holidays anymore now that I'm retired. (I try to stay home on most weekends now) Roads are too crowded and so are all the stores, movies, restaurants etc. However, weekdays are great. Everything is open and very few crowds. :dance:

Yes! One of the biggest surprises in retirement! I kind of dread weekends, look forward to Mondays when I have the gym, stores, neighborhood, to myself again.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Before you buy any item you research the bejesus out of it and read every review on Amazon prior to purchase.

You get sick, and it doesn't matter..... I used to drag myself into work with chronic sinus infections. Now I can just relax and take it easy.

Back
Top Bottom