"You know ... you know"

The Texting Twitters have changed our Mother Tongue just to force it into the character limits of their devices. I predict that the apostrophe will fall by the wayside very soon and words like cant and wont will be the new normal. There's several new spellings for Tomorrow. Same with "Prolly" formerly known as Probably. There's SMH, BRB, BTW and AYFKMWTS.

I have too much respect for the English language to mangle it that way.

Qualifying every noun or idea in a sentence with "or whatever". Stop it. Stop it. Stop it RIGHT NOW!

Nouning of verbs doesn't sound good to my ears. "Send you an Invite" for "invite you." "Do an Install" for "install."

It doesn't Drive Me Crazy or anything, it just doesn't sound good.

How do you feel about verbing of nouns?

"Take a listen". I think the verb "listen" became a noun in the late 90s, although I don't know whether I used it correctly.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/the-basics-of-verbing-nouns/

-

"To be honest ..."

"Whatever".

Enough "already".

I was teasing Amethyst about her use of "nouning", and so used the phrase "verbing of nouns" as a diametric to her "nouning of verbs". She was "verbing" the noun "noun". I imagine some readers caught my intention.

Then, I looked at the link you provided, and saw that this blogger also uses the word "verbing". Really?

So I looked up the Web, and a dubious online dictionary shows the word verb as a verb ("to verb"). Surprise! Learned something.

Next, I looked up to see if there could be a verb called "to noun"? Nope. :)

PS. Engineers are notorious for "nouning of verbs" and "verbing of nouns". Nobody ever accused engineers of having a rich vocabulary, or of being eloquent writers.

Last edited:
Many people I know might say "I could care less..." how people speak, but, contrary to their intent, this means they still care. However if they said "I couldn't care less..." then this would be consistent with their intent.

"Modern English, especially written English, is full of bad habits which spread by imitation and which can be avoided if one is willing to take the necessary trouble." - George Orwell, Politics and the English Language

“[The English language] becomes ugly and inaccurate because our thoughts are foolish, but the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts... if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought.”
― George Orwell, Politics and the English Language

"If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him."

Cardinal Richelieu :LOL:

Last edited:
Atlas Obscura has a write up on this phenomenon called "filled pauses". With few exceptions they exist in every language - especially Japanese. My bold -

Some filled pauses are actually words in their own right: in English, “like,” “you know,” and “so” can be used as filled pauses. Those words have meanings, but when used to fill a pause, they’re not exactly to be interpreted as having the meaning they’d normally have. When someone says, “And then we went to…you know…the grocery store,” they’re not asking you to chime in and confirm that you do in fact know that we went to the grocery store. It’s just there, taking up time.

The Mystery and Occasional Poetry of, Uh, Filled Pauses | Atlas Obscura

07becc10da77013455dd005056a9545d.gif

Back
Top Bottom