You Know You're Retired When...

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
...having to shave two days in a row seems damn inconvenient (the one that prompted this thread).
...you have trouble working out which day of the week it is.
...you're buying gasoline every other week instead of every few days.
...you aren't sure how to set your alarm clock (or don't have one anymore).
...you play solitaire/sudoku/crosswords a little too often.
...when your phone rings, you may not answer.
...you're usually caught up on your to do list.

The only habit I can't seem to break, I wake up early every day - I haven't figured out how to "sleep in." DW mastered that decades ago...

When I lived at my previous address I'd put gas in the car in June and January

Now, every other month. (Not counting any occasional long trips I might take)

The biggest "You know you're retired when...." thing for me is when I notice it's Friday and I dread the weekend, especially 3 day holiday weekends and look forward to Mondays (or Tuesdays as applicable)

As mentioned on another thread, now when I channel surf across the 60 Minutes stopwatch, I say: "Oh goodie! Tomorrow's Monday!"

The biggest "You know you're retired when...." thing for me is when I notice it's Friday and I dread the weekend, especially 3 day holiday weekends and look forward to Mondays (or Tuesdays as applicable)

As mentioned on another thread, now when I channel surf across the 60 Minutes stopwatch, I say: "Oh goodie! Tomorrow's Monday!"

That 60 minute stop watch....grrrr tick...tick....tick...tick... haunts my dreams every Sunday, less than 14 years to go haha.

How about trying to navigate a conversation without caring if you are politically correct. That one is hard for me WHILE working!

How about trying to navigate a conversation without caring if you are politically correct.
Hmmm. That one hasn't ended for me so far, I still try to watch my words...

You have trouble answering the question, "How was your weekend?" because,

a) It takes a while for you to realize that it's Monday and, yes, the previous 2 days are what many people seem to curiously call "the weekend", and -

b) Every day seems like the weekend to you!

...having to shave two days in a row seems damn inconvenient (the one that prompted this thread).
Well, there are some advantages to being female.
...you have trouble working out which day of the week it is.
This is getting harder and harder to do.
...you're buying gasoline every other week instead of every few days.
Yes! And your annual gasoline spending is in the 3 figures.
...you aren't sure how to set your alarm clock (or don't have one anymore).
I set mine every night, or else I'd sleep an hour later every day.
...you play solitaire/sudoku/crosswords a little too often.
Bite your tongue! No such thing as too much sudoku. You forgot computer jigsaw puzzles. :D
...when your phone rings, you may not answer.
I always answer unless I am driving or sleeping.
...you're usually caught up on your to do list.
It is pretty sparse these days. :D

The only habit I can't seem to break, I wake up early every day - I haven't figured out how to "sleep in." DW mastered that decades ago...
Oh! I have the answer for you! What you need to do, is just stay up really really late and don't set the alarm. Then if you open one eye at the usual time to get up, tell yourself fine, you will get up after thinking about it for a few minutes with your eyes closed..... :LOL:

When dear old Dad was in the nursing home earlier this year they had whiteboards giving the day of the week. DW actually went out and bought one to put in the kitchen.

Actually, I can tell when the weekend’s over because Lowe’s isn’t so crowded.

If You Don't Know What Day it It

The "Day Clock" - for those who don't know what day it is. I plan to buy myself one when I retire:

DayClock

"The "Day Clock" - for those who don't know what day it is."

I have one at the lake house, loved it. Then one day I realized the batteries had run out,,,ought to replace them one of these days.

+1. Exactly. :LOL:

That seemed damn inconvenient when I was working. Maybe once a week. Now.. maybe a couple times a month and using a trimmer. It's been a real long time since I used a blade.

Mondays are the best Jerry! The best!

Sunday evening now has a complete different meaning to us since we retired. We look forward to Mondays and can't wait till the "weekend" is over.

Monday becomes the best day of the week. No question

Having to keep quiet when others are complaining about their j*bs, or not having enough vacation time, or "I wish the weekend wasn't coming to an end", etc. Or even worse, having to wipe THAT smile off my face...

Back
Top Bottom