Your Favorite Thing To Make Benefit Glorious Sleep

Re: Your Favorite Thing To Get Sleepy

I need the opposite - something to help me NOT be sleepy. On a bad night it might take me 15 minutes to fall asleep. Most nights it only takes 5 minutes. My problem is being sleepy during the day even though I usually get 8 to 9 hours of sleep. I drink 3 to 4 cups of brewed coffee a day and a few glasses of soda with caffeine and still can't stay up past 11 pm!

Grumpy

Reading political rants on the other topics board.

Ambien

I take 3 mg of melatonin, hop in the sack and do 30 deep slow breaths and exhalations.

I then review the day's accomplishments and preview tomorrow's tasks (5 minutes).

Next, I start on my second set of breathing. I never get to 30 breaths because I'm always out cold before I'm half way through! :D

Knocking boots. :D

If I got 9 hours of sleep, I must be deceased!

Dan, are you from East Bejing? I think I read a phrase like that on the Chinese-English instructions that came with some plastic whatever...

:D

Telly said:
If I got 9 hours of sleep, I must be deceased!
Dan, are you from East Bejing? I think I read a phrase like that on the Chinese-English instructions that came with some plastic whatever...
:D
Telly - :D How you know I from East - I from eastern Kazakhstan!

Surreal - would like learning of this knocking boots you speak of....

Listening to women talk. Not the sophisticated types around here but your everyday women ;)

Surreal said:
Knocking boots. :D
If that's not in the cards there's always martial arts or surfing.

Warm milk with a touch of sugar.

My version of counting sheep is either moving furniture around in my head and redecorating our apartment, or packing the RV for a trip.

I usually turn the tv on and I'm asleep in 10 minutes. Bought a timer for the TV years ago, works like a charm.

Financial analysis. Manipulating complex sets of numbers wears the mind out and I usually drift off thinking about things and challenging my brain. Sometimes I try to figure out a way to optimize my tax strategy or something equally dry.

Otherwise, reading. It makes the eyes heavy.

Usually I don't have any problems going to sleep though. Could be the two daughters under age 2? :D

Anyone but me lucky enough to be a power sleeper?

I just put my head on the pillow and I'm gone; almost always sleep uninterrupted for 7.5 to 8 hours. My wife often mocks me for sleeping through thunder storms and the like.

I rate sleep as one of the 3 most pleasant physical indulgences in life.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Anyone but me lucky enough to be a power sleeper?

I'll have to admit that I am a power sleeper. I'm usually so beat from chasing my kid(s) around all evening after work that I'm out within a few minutes. I'm able to sleep through repeated kicks to the head from my daughter, baby(ies) crying directly in my ear, baby(ies) pee/poop/vomiting/chewing on me, and my wife "gently" asking me to take care of the baby(ies). :D

I'm so worn out now that I usually will drink a second cup of coffee right before I leave work if I plan on staying up past 11-12 (like on a Friday night).

Those of you who are drinking beverages before bed - doesn't it make you just have to get up an hour or two later?

shiny said:
Those of you who are drinking beverages before bed - doesn't it make you just have to get up an hour or two later?
shiny - it's true I sometimes miscalculate and get up but I'm soon back to my dream life where thankfully I haven't yet had to use the restroom..! ;)

shiny said:
I've never been a good sleeper. Insomnia runs in my family. Its gotten a little better since I'm not working - less stress/things to worry about. We got a white noise machine a couple of years ago and that really helps.
I have a white noise machine to help drown out my snoring. It helps a lot. Better that the mutilation surgery DW convinced me to go through a few years back. :mad:

wallygador69 said:
My dog's name is "boots" where exactly do you live?

W

Now don't go there. "I did not have sex with that dog...boots." (Clintonian fingerwag)

Nords said:
If that's not in the cards there's always martial arts or surfing.

True that. They all have a lot in common , a good cardiovascular workout, after glow then lights out.

grumpy said:
My problem is being sleepy during the day even though I usually get 8 to 9 hours of sleep. I drink 3 to 4 cups of brewed coffee a day and a few glasses of soda with caffeine and still can't stay up past 11 pm!

Grumpy

You might want to get evaluated for sleep apnea. I was getting tired of being about 80% (or more) asleep behind the wheel on the afternoon commute and finally saw my primary care MD about it. I didn't fit the standard profile, but after a night of instrumented sleep I was diagnosed as having moderate apnea.

Having to wear the CPAP gear to be able to sleep sucks - no more "I'll just take a little nap". But it sure made a difference.

cheers,
Michael

I go to sleep within 5 minutes.

In the winter, I sleep 8 to 9 hours a night.

Retirement is paradise!

Back
Top Bottom