Your Most Expired Food Item

My oldest expired item: the film I have frozen for an old camera. I bought it when managing a photoshop in 1994.

Oldest food item? 8 year old cheese. It is Cougar Gold. Some of the best cheddar in the world (IMO!). I am aging it. Will open it on my 20th anniversary. The cheese will be 10yrs old at that point.

They ship world wide.

Washington State University
I live in Husky Territory, but 2 weekeds ago I was invited to a party with some Cougs and had this cheese for the first time. I agree with you that it is very good.

Ha

My MIL has large, rusty cans of unground wheat in her garage - I think from the 1980's - maybe before. Late FIL must have had some kind of an apocalypse phobia.

I live in Husky Territory, but 2 weekeds ago I was invited to a party with some Cougs and had this cheese for the first time. I agree with you that it is very good.

Ha

Husky, huh? I've generally enjoyed your posts. Up til now.:D

I am anxious to try the aged cheese. They sell a 2-3 yr aged version. It is delicious. Curious what ten years does for it. Meanwhile it takes up an other wise unusable space in my refrigerator.

FYI-Their other flavors are also quite good, HA.

In 1976 I got stuck at work due to a three day blizzard, we lived on C rations that had been packed in 1945. No one got sick from them.

Somewhere in the basement there is a half box of Necco wafers, about 15 years old. I've been told the shelf life is "at least 100 years" so I don't worry about them. I keep a few rolls in the car for emergency rations, and replace them from the basement stash as needed.

The story is that early Arctic explorers relied on Necco wafers (basically pure sugar) as survival rations, due to their essentially infinite shelf life.

Just went to check my fridge and this is what I found : 1) mayonaise (expiration date April 2011), 2) chocolate fudge 3) laxative suppositories (not making this up !) 4) wine. :) I never eat at home....

Last edited:
Just went to check my fridge and this is what I found : 1) mayonaise (expiry date April 2011), 2) chocolate fudge 3) laxative suppositories (not making this up !) 4) wine. :) I never eat at home....

Please eat all four and report.

Somewhere in the basement there is a half box of Necco wafers, about 15 years old. I've been told the shelf life is "at least 100 years" so I don't worry about them. I keep a few rolls in the car for emergency rations, and replace them from the basement stash as needed.

The story is that early Arctic explorers relied on Necco wafers (basically pure sugar) as survival rations, due to their essentially infinite shelf life.

I had no idea what Necco wafers were, so Googled them and found an image. Guess they are candy. They may have a long shelf life, but they don't look very delicious.... :)

Attachments

• necco.jpg
    necco.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 49
I don't eat them ! I just don't want the suppositories to melt... so the box is on the bottom shelf :)
Since this thread asks about expired food items, I find it very interesting to discover what some of you eat..

Do they taste like chicken?

Last edited:
I buy imported cheeses (Feta, Mozzerella, Romano, Parmesan) in 5 lb portions from a local restaurant supply place. The price is almost half of the grocery stores.
I divide it up, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, place the little bricks inside a Ziploc bag, and deep freeze it.
I have enough grated Parmesan from 2010 to last me another 3 years. :D

I am just finishing up a batch of 2008 vintage Feta cheese.

Tastes like.....drumroll, please...Feta cheese. :cool:

Just went to check my fridge and this is what I found : 1) mayonaise (expiration date April 2011), 2) chocolate fudge 3) laxative suppositories (not making this up !) 4) wine. :) I never eat at home....
From that inventory, I don't think anybody would want to eat at your home!

Back
Top Bottom