Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I moved into my aunt's old house in 2003 and still haven't gone through her pantry. Maybe I will make it a nice even 10 years and do in 2013. I'll let you know what I find.
It might be fun to get a large trash bag and do it this weekend. If you haven't eaten it during the past eight years, you probably never will so you could use that space for something else. Even though you don't seem to need it for food that you normally buy, you could probably use the space for Dawg52 type stuff, whatever that may be. Golf related items, doggie chews, or something.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got my first Foodsaver (vacuum packing machine) in 2004 and kept all kinds of things in the freezer. I remember finding some noodles and a pork chop in 2008, seal still intact, that even I wouldn't eat!

I have no sense of smell and am frugal to a degree that I don't want to throw something away if it can still be used. But I've had a few incidents of eating something past it's prime and regretting it so I have learned to be reasonable with expiration dates. Often I'll ask DH (or another victim) to smell something for me.

Right now I have some frozen ground beef from 2009. I have some cans in the back of the cupboard from 2005 but they are there to keep the stuff I really use from getting pushed so far back that I can't reach them. I wouldn't use the old canned food, it's just there to take up space.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
A few years ago, we participated in a 'Christmas in April' event where we cleaned out the packed basement of an elderly man's home, his wife had just passed away recently. Evidently she was a hoarder, and we found not one but a whole shelf of home canned (Mason jars) veggies marked 1956. Couldn't even tell what was in them, the contents were almost black though the seals may have been intact.
Sorry but true, that may end this thread...
I didn't personally observe the label, but in the 1980s our submarine received beef that had been (as far as we could tell) frozen since the Korean War.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post
As a follow up question, I would like to know how it all tasted.
It didn't taste any different than the usual.

A couple years ago I finally tried a can of Campbells cream of celery soup that we'd either transferred through a lot of military moves or "inherited" from a military friend who was about to move. (Either one is possible.) The can was labeled "Proud Sponsor of the Sarajevo Olympics!"

It also tasted as good as cream of celery soup usually tastes...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #24

My oldest expired item: the film I have frozen for an old camera. I bought it when managing a photoshop in 1994.

Oldest food item? 8 year old cheese. It is Cougar Gold. Some of the best cheddar in the world (IMO!). I am aging it. Will open it on my 20th anniversary. The cheese will be 10yrs old at that point.

They ship world wide.

Washington State University
Old 08-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #25

I have a bottle of Badia brand Chili Pepper Sauce dated exp 4 Apr 2010. I bought it in the winter of 2008 or 2009. It's unopened and has been in the fridge since I bought it. It's 1st ingredient is Habaneros so I want to taste it so I won't toss it.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
My oldest expired item: the film I have frozen for an old camera. I bought it when managing a photoshop in 1994.

Oldest food item? 8 year old cheese. It is Cougar Gold. Some of the best cheddar in the world (IMO!). I am aging it. Will open it on my 20th anniversary. The cheese will be 10yrs old at that point.

They ship world wide.

Washington State University
I live in Husky Territory, but 2 weekeds ago I was invited to a party with some Cougs and had this cheese for the first time. I agree with you that it is very good.

Ha
Old 08-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

My MIL has large, rusty cans of unground wheat in her garage - I think from the 1980's - maybe before. Late FIL must have had some kind of an apocalypse phobia.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I live in Husky Territory, but 2 weekeds ago I was invited to a party with some Cougs and had this cheese for the first time. I agree with you that it is very good.

Ha

Husky, huh? I've generally enjoyed your posts. Up til now.

I am anxious to try the aged cheese. They sell a 2-3 yr aged version. It is delicious. Curious what ten years does for it. Meanwhile it takes up an other wise unusable space in my refrigerator.

FYI-Their other flavors are also quite good, HA.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #29

In 1976 I got stuck at work due to a three day blizzard, we lived on C rations that had been packed in 1945. No one got sick from them.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Somewhere in the basement there is a half box of Necco wafers, about 15 years old. I've been told the shelf life is "at least 100 years" so I don't worry about them. I keep a few rolls in the car for emergency rations, and replace them from the basement stash as needed.

The story is that early Arctic explorers relied on Necco wafers (basically pure sugar) as survival rations, due to their essentially infinite shelf life.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #31

Just went to check my fridge and this is what I found : 1) mayonaise (expiration date April 2011), 2) chocolate fudge 3) laxative suppositories (not making this up !) 4) wine. I never eat at home....
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Just went to check my fridge and this is what I found : 1) mayonaise (expiry date April 2011), 2) chocolate fudge 3) laxative suppositories (not making this up !) 4) wine. I never eat at home....
Please eat all four and report.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #33

Mission impossible, sorry. Will need to throw the mayo away first but too lazy to do this today
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Please eat all four and report.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
3) laxative suppositories (not making this up !)
Since this thread asks about expired food items, I find it very interesting to discover what some of you eat..

Do they taste like chicken?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Somewhere in the basement there is a half box of Necco wafers, about 15 years old. I've been told the shelf life is "at least 100 years" so I don't worry about them. I keep a few rolls in the car for emergency rations, and replace them from the basement stash as needed.

The story is that early Arctic explorers relied on Necco wafers (basically pure sugar) as survival rations, due to their essentially infinite shelf life.
I had no idea what Necco wafers were, so Googled them and found an image. Guess they are candy. They may have a long shelf life, but they don't look very delicious....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg necco.jpg (10.0 KB, 49 views)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #36

I don't eat them ! I just don't want the suppositories to melt... so the box is on the bottom shelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Since this thread asks about expired food items, I find it very interesting to discover what some of you eat..

Do they taste like chicken?
Old 08-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I buy imported cheeses (Feta, Mozzerella, Romano, Parmesan) in 5 lb portions from a local restaurant supply place. The price is almost half of the grocery stores.
I divide it up, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, place the little bricks inside a Ziploc bag, and deep freeze it.
I have enough grated Parmesan from 2010 to last me another 3 years.

I am just finishing up a batch of 2008 vintage Feta cheese.

Tastes like.....drumroll, please...Feta cheese.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just went to check my fridge and this is what I found : 1) mayonaise (expiration date April 2011), 2) chocolate fudge 3) laxative suppositories (not making this up !) 4) wine. I never eat at home....
From that inventory, I don't think anybody would want to eat at your home!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

At my parents house I have a few cans of early 1960's civil defenses crackers - the last time I tried any was about 1990, they were pretty hard.

Fallout Shelter Supplies-Food Rations Page